• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Short break in NORFOLK (1 Viewer)

Sandra (Taylor)

10th - 14th March

Spent a delightful few days in Norfolk. First port of call was Sculthorpe Moor (Hawk & Owl Trust) where we got our annual fix of bramblings : 30+ . They were seen closely from one of the hides focusing on a bird table, together with loads of tits, chaffinch, a nuthatch, reed buntings, bullfinches & greenfinch. A couple of Egyptian geese were out in the big meadow as we walked towards the main reserve. Had buzzard & marsh harrier near the hide by the river. Altogether in those couple of hours we had c28 species.

Lots of brimstone butterflies around, and a peacock butterfly looked gorgeous on the bark of a silver birch tree - then again on white blossom (blackthorn?). Saw a juvenile common toad - being held by one of the volunteers who was taking it to a place of safety away from the visitor centre.

Drove past Cley one day to Salthouse then turned left and drove to where we usually see snow buntings but the shingle had been washed right down to cover the car park so there was nothing to see there. Nor was there anything on the sea at the 'cafe' end of the beach either.

Had good instructions on where to look for the parrot crossbills near the Edgefield sign near Holt. These were soon pointed out to us by other birders already in place - so that was our twitch for the week!

The woods in Holkham Park seemed devoid of birds - lots of deer visible through the trees though.

Titchwell was productive on the 2 days we visited. Lots of Brent geese around with a smattering of greylags. The storms had washed away the small wooden viewpoint down by the sea but there was just enough left standing to perch on for half an hour. Two huge flocks of common scoter out on the sea. Brief glimpses of water rail in the channel near the visitor centre. Little egrets out on the marsh.

We used to park at Burnham Norton each time was passed. Always geese there. Also a couple of curlew and two mistle thrushes. We didn't see a barn owl all week which is a bit disturbing. Has the flooding killed voles etc?

Another satisfying day was spent at Strumpshaw Fen where we had a fly-over great white egret. A bittern had been seen an hour or so before we arrived at the hide so we reckoned it was due again. No show! My companions managed a green woodpecker flying across the path but I was daydreaming I expect! A few dark redwings were in a tree at the side of a path as we walked on. Heard Cetti's warbler many times.

Then to Beckenham Marsh. Never been here but it is now on our list of places to visit when we're here again. Not many people here - we were the only ones in the hide. It was fascinating to walk up a few steps in the bank and see a boat sailing past on the river (Yare?)

The first length of hedge at Chosely - in front of the barns - has been hacked down (well, scrubbed out really as there is a great swathe of it completely gone). There were no birds here at all, although we did see one yellowhammer further down the lane as we drove away. Partridges made up for the lack of songbirds here, with good sightings of grey and red-legged in most the fields. Also noticeable this week were the many hares we watched but hadn't seen in earlier visits. Partridges & hares were seen daily, as were marsh harriers.

We were told of a good place for raptors later in the day. This was in an enclosed scrubby area not far from where the Holkham estate wall finishes. We set up the scope and had a marsh harrier flying. Then at the bottom of a far hedge a completely white pheasant feeding.

My most surprising sighting was in the hedge near this pheasant. At first I thought it was a waxwing but on closer inspection it turned into a bearded tit! Perched near the top of a tall hedge! There were reedy pools beyond this field before the shore was reached so perhaps it lived there.

We stayed in our favourite guest house in Wells for good access to the coast and all places south too.

On our way back on Friday morning we drove around the Wolfterton triangle - again - and again - ..................... Golden pheasant? What golden pheasant?

We had been blessed with lovely sunny days all week - the rain started as we hit Yorkshire

Nice report Sandra
Sad to find out that the snow bunts are not at Salthouse, I'd them round my feet a couple of years ago by the shingle bank at Salthouse. Reckon the entire coastline took a battering, which will take a few years to put right.
Not been to Sculthorpe Moor, will have to look that one up for the next time I am down that way.

Nice report Sandra
Sad to find out that the snow bunts are not at Salthouse, I'd them round my feet a couple of years ago by the shingle bank at Salthouse. Reckon the entire coastline took a battering, which will take a few years to put right.
Not been to Sculthorpe Moor, will have to look that one up for the next time I am down that way.

Yes, great deal of damage done on the coast, Keith. Penny (Clarke) has done a survey with lots of photographs of the damage done all round the coast.

Yes, Sculthorpe is a great place. Lots of woodland with feeders at frequent intervals - a walk by the side of the river; reedbeds etc. And a board walk almost all the way round which makes it so much easier if it is wet underfoot. And not very far from Fakenham.

All the best

Sandra

Another vote for Sculthorpe Moor which has quite good small mammals as well as birds: I've seen Bank Vole, Harvest Mouse and Brown Rat, and others have had Field and Water Voles, Weasel and Stoat in addition.

I'm sorry you didn't see much at Choseley, I was up a few weeks ago and had 2 Bramblings and a bunch of Yellowhammers around the barns.

John

Nice report Sandra

Sandra - hope you find time to call in at RSPB Frampton Marsh the next time you visit around the corner to Norfolk. It's a good taster for what you might see in the Norfolk Reserves.:t:

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back