• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Southern Africa Trip - Looking for input (1 Viewer)

GF99-99

United States
Hi All,

Sorry in advance as I am not to sure if this is the correct area to post in but it seems like the closest category.

My girlfriend and I are looking to do a 5-6 week DIY wildlife sight seeing road trip in the southern portion of Africa around July are were looking for any tips, tricks, input, must see things, must avoid things, etc.

Tentatively this is the route we were thinking but we are very flexible and open to just about anything.
1710030524765.png

Basically we will hire a 4x4 Toyota with a roof top tent and all the camping supplies in Joburg and make our way to Windhoek where we will drop the car off. Plan is to camp along the way and try and spend as much time in the National Parks as possible and see as much wildlife as possible. Out main hitlist items are Kruger/Limpopo, Gonarezhou, Hwange, Vic Falls, Chobe, Moremi (Chobe and Moremi are were we will spend most of out time I think), Caprivi, Etosha, Skeleton Coast, Sossusvlei.

Also we are budget travelers (still need to get airfare from the US) so we cant afford all the luxurious hotels, and tours that you see on social media. So as much as we would love to be wined and dined any recommendations for resorts and tours are appreciated but I don't think its going to be out of our budget. We are more DYI kind of people and were not really into being jammed in a car with 5 other people on a schedule tour. Or herded around by a tour guide.

For some background we are very seasoned world travelers and know all the basic do's and don'ts and we do have a experience traveling by car in Africa. Last year we did a 5 week road trip starting in Kenya with Maasai Mara, then across Uganda, with an amazing unplanned trip last minute deal to see the gorillas in Bwindi National Park, then down through Rawanda, then into Tanaznia through Serenget, Maswa, and Ngorongoro Parks onward to Kilimanjaro and finished with a relaxing week on the beaches of Zanzibar.

Also pre Covid we did a shorter 3 week road trip through Namibia and Botswana.

Given that you've visited the region before, it would be helpful to know which species you haven't seen that you would particularly like to see.

You want to be in information wanted really. Anything in particular you wish to know? Driving in SA and Namibia very easy. I can't comment on Zimbabwe.

One thing to think about is Kruger cna get very very full: book in advance even with camping. Get a Gold Card; it pays for itself in a few days. Food dirt cheap in South Africa even in Kruger and park shops good. Namibia much more expensive for camping than SA - Or it was when I was there, which was some time ago now.

You are covering a lot of ground. I've spent almost three times that time wildlife watching in South Africa and could happily go back. I'd totally agree with getting Southern African Birdfinder.

I wouldn't neglect lodge recommendations: in many cases, lodges have campgrounds, and for a very decent price you can enjoy all lodge facilities.

Could the mods move this to Information Wanted as suggested by Steve Babbs above? I'm planning a somewhat similar trip in 2026 and would like to thank all who've chimed in so far! I would presume more input to this thread could be gained in the other section as this one is for Trip Reports of already completed trips.

I did a similar trip some years ago from Cape Town, back to Cape Town, but did it over 4 months and went into Zambia as well.

There is so much to see in the region, but one thing I would recommend, would be to try and spend some time in the Caprivi - the birding is sensational and depending on how long you take to get there, you may be in time to see the Carmine Bee-eaters arrive.

I think the comment about getting a copy of the SA Birdfinder is also great advice

I'd recommend getting a book called Southern African Birdfinder by Cohen, Spottiswoode and Rossouw. We used it on a five month road trip trying to see as many birds as possible in South Africa and Namibia, and it was extremely useful. It covers a huge number of sites.
Best book of it's type IMO.

I don't think you can take a South African car in to Zimbabwe unless things have changed since we did it?

This is what we did in 2010/11 over six weeks, c12000KM, numbers refer to sites in Southern African Birdfinder by Cohen, Spottiswoode and Rossouw

South Africa
Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens (1), Cape of Good Hope Nature reserve (5), Boulder's beach (6), Strandfontein sewage works (7), West coast National Park (19), Lamberts Bay (23), Kransvleipoort(25), De Hoop Nature reserve (37), Koa Dunes (54), Augrabies Falls National Park (62), Witsand (63)

Namibia.
Ros Pinah (194), Sossusvlei (198),Walvis Bay (201), Cape Cross, Spitzkoppe (204), Erongo Mountains (205), Kunene (208), Etosha National Park (209), Rundu area (213), Poppa Falls (214), Mahango Game Reserve (215), Katima Mulilo (219),

Botswana
Drotsky's Cabins, Chobe National Park.

Zambia
Choma, Nkanga River, (301). We stayed at 'Bruce Miller' part of a conservation area and we hired a local farm hand to how us Zambia's only endemic bird species, Chaplin's Barbet.

Zimbabwe
Victoria Falls (252)

Last edited:
One thing I would suggest considering, if you have the time, is making this a loop starting and finishing in Joburg. This would allow you to add the Bushmanland area of SA, then cross into southern Namibia and do Sossusvlei before heading north. Although it's a fair distance, the roads are excellent in this part of SA and Pretoria to Uptington is basically a day's drive.

I'd also look to fit in the Sani Pass up to Lesotho and adjacent areas in the Drakensburg Mountains.

One thing I would suggest considering, if you have the time, is making this a loop starting and finishing in Joburg. This would allow you to add the Bushmanland area of SA, then cross into southern Namibia and do Sossusvlei before heading north. Although it's a fair distance, the roads are excellent in this part of SA and Pretoria to Uptington is basically a day's drive.

I'd also look to fit in the Sani Pass up to Lesotho and adjacent areas in the Drakensburg Mountains.
Upington is the way we came back in as we came back down through Nambia after gone up on the notorious C13 road and we did find one car on it's roof with four, dazed occupants at the roadside, the driver having become too confident on the gravel road. When we stayed at Witsand, there's a woman who feeds wild Porcupines if anyone wants to see them.

The truth is that there are so many ways to do a trip to Southern Africa, we've done two trips and there's still stuff we haven't seen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back