• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Portales, NM 3/4/15 (1 Viewer)

logan3m

I was doing some birding through my back window when all my finches and juncos took off really fast. This guy literally jumped over the 3 foot fence and landed on my dog house. As I went reaching for a camera, it jumped over the fence again. I wen outside and scared it from the back field and flew to this 8 foot fence in the picture, then jumped down to my neighbors yard. It seems to spend a lot of time on the ground if it can. Any suggestions? I think Prairie Falcon, Cooper's Hawk, maybe even a Merlin? There seems not to be a definitive match in my bird book.

IMG_0127.JPG

Cooper's.

Sharp-shinned is similar, but slightly smaller, and has all the tail feathers even length, not with the outer feathers marginally shorter as in your pic.

I'm thinking Sharp-Shinned from the tail...the tail feathers all look quite close in length. Hard to be sure, though. A front view would be helpful.

logan3m: falcons (such as Prairie Falcon and Merlin) always have dark eyes, not yellow as in this bird. They are also a lot less likely to show up in your back yard :)

Sharpie for me, too. Tail feathers appear as evenly lengthed as expected, not as graduated as in a Coop. In addition to other comments above.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back