• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Intelligence in birds of prey (2 Viewers)

So birds of prey are sometimes called stupid or dumb, but here i will show some examples of their intelligence.
I won't talk here about new world vultures because they are known to be very intelligent. I will write about Accipitriformes and Falconiformes.
Some obvious ones first, black kites and brown falcons in Australia spread fires, they pick up a burning stick and throw it. Then the escaping animals from the fire are an easy meal. Maybe its instinct or learned, its hard to tell, but it is pretty smart.
The egyptian vulture and black-breasted buzzard use tools, they use rocks to crack the eggs.

An osprey was seen throwing a rock at its rival.

And the common buzzards always know when my camera is looking at them.

Verreaux's eagle have been reported rock throwing to scare off predator.

Black kites use cigarette butts to scare off parasites.

New zealand falcon are known to cache food, one returned to a 10 day old food. So he needs to have a somekind memory for that, even if its short. (And many other raptors also cache food like the american kestrel)

Prerigine falcons apparently learned to use a train as a tool, these falcons remembered when the train will pass by, and then the train would scare the pigeons, and that was an easy meal for the falcon.

Harris hawks are pack hunters, so they are social, and they need to have somekind of intelligence to hunt in a cooperative way.
In fact many birds of prey have been seen hunting in pairs for example one bird distracts or flushes the prey out while the other one attacks, birds seen hunting in pairs were: philippine eagle, black eagle, golden eagle, aplomado falcon, bald eagle, striated caracara, prerigine falcon, wedge-tailed eagle, lanner falcon.
There is probably more examples i haven't heard of.

"During the winter of 2019-2020, Kelsey and her team were unable to recapture any of her birds outfitted with tracking devices the previous year. "They're smart birds. They remember. Once we catch a kestrel, they don't want to look at our traps," says Biles. Their avoidance even prompted Biles and her team to try three different types of traps, several new to the kestrels, but without luck."

Some consider play as a sign of intelligence, and in fact many birds of prey as youngsters play with objects by manipulating them. I witnessed short play in the common buzzard, there were two birds together, and they started acting really goofy, touching each others beaks. The young birds of prey seem to learn stuff like at wchich branches they can sit.

Now lets talk about Lady a golden eagle, and her intelligence, there were 3 cups under one she saw that food was hidden, then she flew and opened the right cup. The amazing thing was that she could remember under which cup the food was for an hour! The eagle also could recognize faces pretty well, there was this man Lady didn't like, she recognized him by his voice, face, and even when he dressed as a woman. And one day Ed was walking with her, the eagle saw an animal escaping, the over a week later Lady remembered that, and was looking for that animal in the same place.
But the caracaras are the most brainy of all birds of prey probably. They are falcons. They are mentally more like parrots and corvids.
Striated caracaras are very curious, playfull, and very great problem solvers, they can count to 8, this video is a great example
the bird clearly knows what plush needs to bring to him. Caracaras also understand that when food is hidden it didn't dissapear its just hidden.
Chimango caracaras can socially learn.
There was a caracara observed that called other two caracaras, all of the three caracaras started working together in pushing up a large rock, they succeded. (Under the rocks there were tasty insects)
And hopefully more studies in the future will shed light on the wonderfull intelligence of caracaras. (They aren't very well studied) In the captivity caracaras often are given loots of enritchement and toys.

And intelligence is also the abbility to adapt to new enviroments and birds of prey are great at that, like the prerigine falcon.

These are just some examples, I will probably get hated for saying that birds of prey can have some levels of intelligence. Sorry for the grammar mistakes (i was writing this late in the night).

Last edited:
People who photograph birds at carrion usually say that raptors are much dumber than ravens. Latter, basically, do what they want.

However, I have long wondered: Harpy Eagles and Crowned Eagles hunt monkeys. Unlike big cats, they cannot sneak at them at night. They must be pretty clever to outsmart a primate.

People who photograph birds at carrion usually say that raptors are much dumber than ravens. Latter, basically, do what they want.

However, I have long wondered: Harpy Eagles and Crowned Eagles hunt monkeys. Unlike big cats, they cannot sneak at them at night. They must be pretty clever to outsmart a primate.
Its quite obvious that birds of prey are less smart than ravens, ravens are the most intelligent birds. Well only the striated caracaras might be close to ravens.
And also philippine eagles hunt primates.
BTW I hope here I showed some ways how birds of prey are intelligent. What you think

Last edited:

I think people should stop comparing and calling animals "dumb", its just the way they evolved. If somebody compares for example a cat to a dolphin (their intelligence), the cat will look quite dumb.

Last edited:
I would like to add (I can't edit) that also other birds of prey are capable of problem solving, like solving puzzles for dogs for example harris hawks (one figured out to throw the whole puzzle and then the treats come out), falcons (one immediately understood the puzzle), merlin, hooded vultures. I saw somebody teach a falcon maybe it was a gyrfalcon to recognise like 2 colours.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back