• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Digiscoping for deer (1 Viewer)

MurrayQld

G'day Everyone,
Looks like a great forum, and this is my first of hopefuly many posts.

I hate it when people come along and ask the same question that has been done to death, but I might have to get some opinions.

I have had a search and read around, and have chosen what I think would be a good setup for digiscoping deer.

I don't need the huge magnification, and don't have heaps of money, so I thought the Leupold Gold Ring 15-30x50 spotting scope kit ($500 US), I can't find much information on this at all, has anyone used one?, is there any reason why/why not?

For the camera I thought a Nikon P5000, I've read on a few different websites this is the way to go(approx $350US)?

For an adapter, I'm not sure, I was thinking the Leupold Adapter, but am unsure on weather it fits the 15-30x50?, is there any other adapter which would fit the Leupold?, or a certain style I should go for (Leupold Adapter $150)?

For a tripod, I've got a cheapie at home, and that will have to do for now, but I'll upgrade later.

For that kit it will be apporx $1000 US, I'd like opinions on weather I've got the ratios right, and am buying the correct equipment?

Any help is very much appreciated.

I'll include a couple of pics of deer I took with a borrowed spotting scope and cannon camera. (I just held the camera there, no adapter.)

redijnfog3.jpg

redijnfog2.jpg

Cheers

Murray

I've also tried digiscoping birds, when the deer aren't cooperating, but again with a cheap camera, and borrowed spotting scope.

IMG_1383.jpg

IMG_1329.jpg

Recommend you buy the largest aperture scope with ED-type glass you can afford along with the lowest power fixed magnification wide angle eyepiece made for the scope. For a camera, the best choices now are probably the Canon S95 or the new Nikon P300. If the maker of your scope does not offer a dedicated camera adapter, you should get one of the universal swing-out adapters made by various OEMs. Don't forget about a sturdy video head or gimbal mount and tripod. The larger/heavier the scope/adapter/camera, the more you will need to spend here.

If large mammals are your primary target, a compact superzoom like the Canon SX30 or a current model dslr with a Sigma 150-500mm zoom lens is probably more cost effective, easier to use and will give better results.

I see you are making a start at digiscoping. I see some vignetting (dark circles) because the eyepiece may not have enough eye relief.

I would suggest that you buy an astro type telescope rather than a spotting scope. I have an Orion 80ED OTA that has great image quality for $500 USD. To get equal quality in a spotting scope you would have to pay about $2000. This is because a spotting scope has more optical components and is made more compact, therefore costs a lot more if it is to give a quality view. There are about three companies that use the same optics in an 80ED, 600mm focal length.

You can also use the inexpensive, but very good for digiscoping, Baader Hyperion eyepieces with top threads for camera attachment. I like the 17mm. Nice 20mm of eye-relief.

I like my Panasonic Lumix FS10 camera, only costs about $100 USD. I test it sharper than the Nikon P6000 and the Lumix LX3 (note- the LX3 is sharper than the LX5). A very solid quality universal camera attachment is the sold by Photosolve, see link below:
http://photosolve.com/main/product/xtendalens/OMNI/index.html

You would need a 37mm to 43mm steip up ring adapter to attach the adapter to the eyepiece.

And that should put you in good shape with sharp shots and no vignetting. I do not use digiscoping for deer in Ohio. There is a unique problem of them licking the scope lens. Gene

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back