• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mobile/digiscoping (1 Viewer)

Louise W

United Kingdom
Hello, I'm a very average birder and have an old Zeiss scope and Samsung Galaxy A51 phone. I'm beginning to think my phone choice was a mistake (chosen for its large storage for photos) for phonescoping, I had a modest A6 before and got much better results (didn't even use an adapter, just positioned it manually). The A6 just had one lens, centrally placed, but I got some great results. I've bought a Phoneskope lollipop adapter for the A51 which helps a lot, but it's still hard to position, it's got several lenses (apart from the macro which is quite good), goodness knows why. It's hard to focus, jumps out of focus, hates low light. The results have low definition, and are generally poor. Any recommendations for a good replacement for this phone with its awful camera for phonescoping? Not too expensive. Is the Samsung S series recommended, good results and easy for phonescoping? Or should I just give up and get an iPhone? Just spent ages trying to get this rather rubbish photo of linnets, to illustrate the problem. Thanks, phonescopers!

Attachments

• 20220305_142956.jpg
    20220305_142956.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 19
Hi there and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum (y)
We're glad you found us and please join in wherever you like. ;)

I'm going to move your thread to the Digiscoping section of the Forum and when someone responds, you'll get an email with a link to the new thread. Good luck!

Hello, I'm a very average birder and have an old Zeiss scope and Samsung Galaxy A51 phone. I'm beginning to think my phone choice was a mistake (chosen for its large storage for photos) for phonescoping, I had a modest A6 before and got much better results (didn't even use an adapter, just positioned it manually). The A6 just had one lens, centrally placed, but I got some great results. I've bought a Phoneskope lollipop adapter for the A51 which helps a lot, but it's still hard to position, it's got several lenses (apart from the macro which is quite good), goodness knows why. It's hard to focus, jumps out of focus, hates low light. The results have low definition, and are generally poor. Any recommendations for a good replacement for this phone with its awful camera for phonescoping? Not too expensive. Is the Samsung S series recommended, good results and easy for phonescoping? Or should I just give up and get an iPhone? Just spent ages trying to get this rather rubbish photo of linnets, to illustrate the problem. Thanks, phonescopers!

The S series definitely better including iPhone for digiscoping especially their video modes for capturing 4K footage.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back