• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pentax 8x32 DCF ED or Nikon 8x32 LX L? (1 Viewer)

[email protected]

Supporter
I am considering buying either a Pentax 8x32 DCF ED or a Nikon 8x32 LX L for my wife. I prefer 7x42's but because of her smaller hand size and the fact that she likes to carry a lighter binocular she prefers an 8x32. In the members experience which binocular is superior. Cost is about the same and they are both new. What binocular should I go for for for her. Would either of these be as good as a Leica 8x32 BN? What do you think?

Dennis

Last edited:
I am considering buying either a Pentax 8x32 DCF ED or a Nikon 8x32 LX L. In the members experience which binocular is superior. Cost is about the same and they are both new. What binocular should I go for. I want to try an 8x32 again. Would either of these be as good as a Leica 8x32 BN? What do you think?

Dennis

I recommend a Leica 7x42 Trinovid instead. The image quality and comfort of an 8x32 can NEVER equal that of a full sized bino with its bigger exit pupil, so either would be of dubious utility.

--AP

Seriously though, it's a good question. I've never seen a careful comparison of these two, but I'd say the eye-relief and placement tolerance of the Nikon is hard to beat among 8x32 models.

Last edited:
There are fine examples of 8x32s out there. Go for it.
If these are not good enough, and 8x32s, why do people buy Leicas for 1400?
http://www.eagleoptics.com/index.asp?pid=4000

these have 15mm ER
http://www.eagleoptics.com/index.asp?pid=3763

but Pentax is also 17mm
Pentax DCF ED 8x32 Binocular

The non ED version was a fine and very relaxed model in my hand in a store. I have the 10x43 SP, very durable in hand and comfortable. I have no complaints really. I mess with diopters more than most people nut I have it worked out now.

Not knowing the Nikon very much, I would just go for Pentax. I have no special love for any brands anymore. Most of my Nikons are gone.

Last edited:
Alexis,

Now that brought a smile to my face.

:)

Dennis,

The two issues I had with the little Nikon were the immediately noticeable color fringing and the fast focusing speed. I haven't handled the 8x32 ED but I did own the 8x32 SP. From what I gather from postings here and elsewhere on those two models they are practically identical physically and mechanically. The primary difference being the cleaner/sharper image of the ED, over the SP. With that thought in mind I would opt for the ED over the LXL.

Dennis,

I like the Nikon quite a lot, but it does not hang well. The strap lugs are placed in such a way that it tilts away from your body when it is suspended by its strap on your chest. It may work better with a harness, but this "hangover" is an issue which could become a constant mild irritation - not a good thing in a binocular that a binocular freak has bought for his wife.

Kimmo

... immediately noticeable color fringing...
This was my experience of the Nikon too - the worst colour fringing I've ever seen in any binoculars. And now that there are so many ED bins to choose from, I wouldn't consider buying a non-ED roof.

Michael

I compared the Nikon LXL to the Pentax ED in the larger 8X42 and 8X43 models and the ED was more desirable (in my opinion) in my comparison in color rendition (ED glass is does a better job with color with a good bin – in my opinion) and sharpness. I found the color presentation to be very neutral and accurate for almost all colors. I have continuous access to the Pentax 8X43 and I find the image to be in the same class as uber glass costing twice the price in virtually all viewing conditions. Another advantage is you can find Pentax bins at deep discounts if you search .

I had an occasion to use Pentax service after a kayaking incident. The service was fast and the repairs were perfect.

Unfortunately I have no first hand experience at 8X32 power.

Last edited:
This was my experience of the Nikon too - the worst colour fringing I've ever seen in any binoculars. And now that there are so many ED bins to choose from, I wouldn't consider buying a non-ED roof.

Michael

But it's impossible to tell how good an instrument is without testing.
Some that boast "ED" have pronounced colour fringes, and some instrument which are not "PR-ed" to be ED have much less.
"ED" is used to widely now by almost everyone that it has become almost meaningless (companies have learned it catches on, so they use it "liberally", to say the least).

Forget the writing on the box!
Tom

But it's impossible to tell how good an instrument is without testing.
Some that boast "ED" have pronounced colour fringes, and some instrument which are not "PR-ed" to be ED have much less.
"ED" is used to widely now by almost everyone that it has become almost meaningless (companies have learned it catches on, so they use it "liberally", to say the least).

Forget the writing on the box!
Tom

I agree with the sentiment ... ED (and HD and XD and ....) have become marketing terms. But they do help in a good design.

Which "poor" ED bins were you thinking about, Tom?

Dennis,

I´m afraid no one can give you a better answer than just your wife after trying these bins. Best you can do is to give her the possibility to try the bins side by side.

Steve

I agree with the sentiment ... ED (and HD and XD and ....) have become marketing terms. But they do help in a good design.

Which "poor" ED bins were you thinking about, Tom?[/QUOTE

Telling names?
Skating on thin ice, isn't it?
Well, I have recently had a chance to play with ... not quite all but with many at an exhibition.
I tested the Pentax DCF ED, for example. Specifically labelled as ED it had stronger lateral chromatic aberration at the periphery of the fov than for example a Zeiss Conquest which does not boast ED.

then there are the Leica Trinovids which had some sort of ED glass 10 years ago, but Leica never made a big story out of it.

One ED bin which was nice colour-wise but which I disliked for other reasons was the Swift Audubon ED (Porro).

What I mean to say (or meant to say) is that "ED" alone does not make a perfect binocular - sometimes not even a really good one.

If it is part of the package, it can contribute to a good result, but it is only one chapter in a book. In the end we are not buying an ED lens but a whole bino.

So my message was: do not get carried away by "ED", or in fact any other fancy label.

Even if it does not say so explicitly or boast any other "virtue" (real or imaginary), some fine instruments out there have a personality that is best described as "distinguished understatement" (Rambo in a three-piece suit with a bowler hat, sipping green tea, so to speak;))

Tom

So my message was: do not get carried away by "ED", or in fact any other fancy label.

Oh, I agree.

Even if it does not say so explicitly or boast any other "virtue" (real or imaginary), some fine instruments out there have a personality that is best described as "distinguished understatement" (Rambo in a three-piece suit with a bowler hat, sipping green tea, so to speak;))

So now I got you to skate on thin ice perhaps you can point out the thicker ice.

Which are you favorite distinguished but understated bins?

It sounds like the votes were about split. I got a "Like New" pair of Nikon 8x32 LX L for $500.00 so I will see how they work out. I haven't received them yet. I will write a review when I get them.I am sure they will be top quality though.

Dennis

It sounds like the votes were about split. I got a "Like New" pair of Nikon 8x32 LX L for $500.00 so I will see how they work out. I haven't received them yet. I will write a review when I get them.I am sure they will be top quality though.

Dennis

Except for the annoying hanging from the strap issue, I think you will be blown away by the optics and ergonomics of these binoculars. There is nothing available for $500 which even comes close.

Dennis..I got the Pentax ED back in my possession ..This is my second pair,I sold the first pair solely because i wasnt able to pass infinity focus without my glasses on..I have Myopia,about -3.75 diopter ,and although i think i can reach the optimum focus point without my glasses on,i am barely there,and i didnt like this at the time...Since i have tried a number of binoculars,until i got the LXL ,that i used for a while(and liked quite a lot)...I have barely used the Pentax since i got the new pair,And i dont have the LXL anymore ,but i have a fresh memory of their performance,so i wil ltry to point the differences between both models,as i use the pentax more and more in the next few days...So far the same Focus range that i remembered.VERY close focus ,About 3 feet Close focus without my glasses on,and about 4 diopter over past infinity in the Pentax..In this regard i much liked the Nikon's range.the Nikon LXL focuses from about 5 feet(specifications indicate around 8 feet close focus)to 6 diopter over past infinity.I think 3 feet is so strenuous in the eyes,and even @ 5 feet,the pentax is harder in the eyes than the LXL at similar distance.The Pentax ED is also harder to bring to accurate focus .It goes to infinity from close focus in 1 1/2 turns of the wheel,But from infinity to 10 feet it takes only 1/2 turn!!!!..that is Super fast..too fast perhaps.Another 1/2 turn brings focus to 6 feet and the last 1/2 close to 3 feet...So much of the focus range is in the Macro focus range.The LXL takes a full turn for its full range,(infinity to +/- 6 feet) Some user seem to think of the operation of the LXL focuser to fast ,but i found it both precise and adequate.If you think about it the Pentax ED focuses twice as fast!!!!!!!!!!

I REALLY like the Nikon 8x32 LX L's. I think they are overall a little better optically and ergonomically than the Leica 8x32 BN's I had. The focus action is probably the best of any binocular on the market smooth and precise and I LIKE the fast speed of it. The quality of the binoculars is second to none. I do not get many blackouts at all. I think they are brighter than the 8x32 Leicas and their edge sharpness is better. Optically they are amazing. More comfortable to use than the 8x32 Leica's I had. They are of course not as bright at dusk as my 7x42 Trinovids but one of the best 8x32's I have tried. I am really impressed with them. For the price I do not think any comes close. I see a little CA but it doesn't bother me that much. The ER seems to be just about perfect. At his point I am glad I went with the Nikon's over the Pentax's and my wife loves them. She say's they fit her hands perfect. I see the strap issue you are talking about. The binoculars do not hang flat against your chest. Kind of weird they designed them that way. But I guess nothing is perfect. Overall very very nice.

Dennis

Last edited:
Well, they are both up there in terms of the competition. I would use either one. I just do not need another 8x32, yet. Or, actually, I am waiting for something like Promaster ED 8x32.

Last edited:
I was able to use a bit more the Pentax ED...I think the main,maybe only advantage of this binocular versus the Nikon LXL is ,of course,the reduction of CA in the image.The ED design of the Pentax doesn't completely eliminate the presence of CA,but it limits it to the very outer edge of the FOV,and subdues it,so it is virtually unnoticeable .The image in the LXL is perhaps brighter,or even looks sharper,it really makes everything very present ,like is right there.Problem is that CA is also present and right there,and although i didn't see any color in the center of the field(sweet spot),some color kept jumping on the images,in some conditions.On the other hand the image still was reasonably sharp,all the way to the edge.The Pentax ED looses some sharpness towards the edge,but this is more easily ignored that the presence of false color,because the brain,particularly when birding,is always looking for color .So in comparison,the Pentax ED image seems a bit more subdued,less vibrant maybe( not really sure),but very ,very clean.This is Very clear when watching birds at fly,or perched against the Ski..
I have been observing gulls ,over the river,lots of glare and reflections(both glasses by the way deal with glare and inner reflections very well)And the image in the Pentax is much more usable there.I think that if you look at flying birds a lot,like Hawk watching or Pelagic trips,The pentax can be a better choice,because it brings more detail in those situations.
Ergonomics go to the Nikon LXL,even if they dont hang flat..The Pentax are 2 oz. lighter and a bit less bulkier,but i rather to hold the LXL anytime..the Pentax are Green..;)

Last edited:
Well..I finally received my eyeglasses...I sent them to have the lenses replaced,because a faulty coating was creating a smudge on my vision,..I used them this way for a while,but since the image through binoculars was degraded,i always lifted them to look through binos....This is very interesting...comparing this two binoculars,i was starting to think that i have a LEMON pair of pentax's...The thing is i wasnt able to get a good image really,..it was clear and bright,but that final touch of crisp,or final resolution...Well,it didnt happen...The Nikon LXL,although seriously affected of CA(flying birds against a high contrast ski,really bleed color all around,to the point of compromising Identification)were always quite sharp..I was able to get very fine resolution,but not with Pentax...The spare pair of glasses that i was using had a rigid,very flat frame,and didnt work to well with binos...
Now with my fresh,ultraclear new Lenses things are different!!!..They work very well with binoculars,because they are flexible and very thin...The image through the pentax is VERY GOOD..the Pentax ED optics didnt work well with my astigmatism,And although they work great with glasses,were pretty frustating without..
It is interesting because i never before experience so much difference between using or not using glasses with any binocular...I suspect different optic designs fit eyes in different ways,perhaps correcting or even aggravating particular eye problems
I think the optics in the PENTAX ED are TOP notch,and they probably give a better image than the LXL.
On the other hand,the more i use them,the more i can see how apart in build quality they are from the Nikon...The Nikon mechanics sure are "ALPHA"quality.You may like them or not but they feel robust all around,without being really too heavy or bulky
Pentax needs to improve the quality of some of the materials,,
I mean ..the focussing ring is a piece of crap,PLASTIC CRAP,of not better quality(worst i suspect) than the cap of a coke bottle(not the glass ones,i wish!!! those were tin..i mean the plastic ones!!!)..
Imagine a plastic bottle cap covered in rubber,a hollow plastic cap ..well ,that is the focusing knob of the Pentax...dont get me wrong..It works fine,(for now)and i can see the focusing rod being made of steel,but it feels quite flimsy,particularly when compared with the fine,precision machined aluminum focuser of the LXL.
Maybe they wanted to use lightweight materials ,and shaved a couple Oz. there...but i'd rather to carry an extra OZ and half ,anytime,than to have this crappy focuser in an otherwise excellent binocular..
Ok, enough...I would also like to mention how useless i think a close focus distance of 2.5 feet is in real life,and would like to ask if this close focus requirements(combined with compactness),would have an effect in focus travel distance past infinity
:cat:

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity I looked at the focusing knob on the only Pentax binocular I own: The little 9 x 28 DCF LV. It costs about $550.00 less than the 8 x 32 DCF ED. There is nothing cheap or chintsy about it's focusing knob. In fact the binocular is remarkably well built. It's overall construction is very similar to that of the 8 x 32 DCF ED as near as I can tell from the pictures shown on the Eagle Optics web site.http://www.eagleoptics.com/index.asp?pid=5180 I also have the Nikon 8 x 32 LX L and it's counterpart the 10 x 32 LX L. Now they are built like tanks! I agree with Dennis's assessment of the 8 x 32 LX L above. (Thread 16) I can't compare them to the Pentax DCF ED, of course. I've never used them, but I really like that little 9 x 28!

Bob

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back