• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What binoculars are as good as Nikon Superior E? (2 Viewers)

I would probably try to find some kind of discounted or used pair of 8x40 SFL rather than spend $1000 on Monarchs but that's just me. The 8x30 SFL would be nice & small, I haven't tried those yet.
I think I'm moving that direction, but I'm not there yet, however. I started off hoping the better $500 roofs had caught up with the SE, but I found that wasn't the case. I think I must try the $1000 level before jumping to three times the price I started investigating.

I'll continue watching the used market, though I'm leery of out-of-country purchases on eBay. I'm certain many of them are fine, but I don't know how to differentiate the good from the not-so-good. At least with B&H, etc., I can return them for a reasonable fee.

Hi Scott,

What was it about the focuser on the MHG you didn't like? Was it that specific example? Ive used almost a dozen of these in multiple configurations and all but two had what I would consider very good and enjoyable focusers. The SF and SFL are probably one of the best of the best, but I could say I had two that were not great, but I chalk that up to a a few bad apples, others Ive tried, and the ones I have are excellent. We don't want to steer anybody away from these wonderful Nikon bins, at least until they start getting marked MIC.

Paul

So when they start getting marked MIC, you will steer people away from them?
Yes. I’d then suggest any other country of origin and manufacture , like I’m doing now.

Some certainly could and would continue to buy from the communist regime as many would suggest another pipeline with Russia. What could go wrong.

There's a bit of a disconnect on focusers, where I appear to have become some kind of "focuser Nazi" with unbelievably high, demanding standards for focuser action! :) I'm used to astronomy telescope focusers which tend to be very smooth & precise because we need to focus at 300x.

But, compared to my beloved EDG, I find the MHG focusers woefully inadequate. They're spongy and stiff feeling and move in jerky fashion, with a sticky, dry feel to it. The Swaro 8x30CL felt the same except with something lumpy stuck in the gears. I could use them...but for $1000? I also consider Swaro EL and Leica UVHD focusers to be unacceptable as well....for context :)

I just took my 90's Nikon 7x35 E porros out for a look at the crescent moon, the focuser was recently re-greased and it feels much superior to these other binos I mentioned. Why would I spend $1000 to replace them with MHG? My old Nikon HG 8x42's that I recently sold for $400 had a velvety smooth focuser. So I guess that's why I won't accept anything less. I'd probably go for one of the ahem "MIC" Monarchs instead :rolleyes:

There's a bit of a disconnect on focusers, where I appear to have become some kind of "focuser Nazi" with unbelievably high, demanding standards for focuser action! :) I'm used to astronomy telescope focusers which tend to be very smooth & precise because we need to focus at 300x.

But, compared to my beloved EDG, I find the MHG focusers woefully inadequate. They're spongy and stiff feeling and move in jerky fashion, with a sticky, dry feel to it. The Swaro 8x30CL felt the same except with something lumpy stuck in the gears. I could use them...but for $1000? I also consider Swaro EL and Leica UVHD focusers to be unacceptable as well....for context :)
EDG is the standard that all others should strive to be. Although it’s a greased mechanism so get a little tight in cold weather. All the Leica’s stay exactly the same regardless of temperature.
I really think you had a bad example of the MGH. The ones I’ve used and currently own are very smooth, although maybe a little light, not spongy at all.
Also all my current Leica’s are very good and I’m a focuser snob myself.
Same with the all but one of my EL’s are very smooth and enjoyable, although a slight difference each direction.
I just took my 90's Nikon 7x35 E porros out for a look at the crescent moon, the focuser was recently re-greased and it feels much superior to these other binos I mentioned. Why would I spend $1000 to replace them with MHG? My old Nikon HG 8x42's that I recently sold for $400 had a velvety smooth focuser. So I guess that's why I won't accept anything less. I'd probably go for one of the ahem "MIC" Monarchs instead :rolleyes:
Same here I have a few porros that have beautiful focusers. Even some from the 1950’s 😃

Short answer: for $1000 buy the Zeiss Conquest, 8x32 or 8x42. I cannot find a single fault with mine, the 8x32... unlike the Nikon's I compared them with.

Did you compare the adjustable eye cups? ;)

The odd thing about eyecups, I've found, is that I got a better view with the Conquest 8x32 than I did with the 8x42 that I intended to buy at the time.

The point being, you really have to try bins for yourself - they are more tactile and personal than scopes, so the ergonomics can be critical... if I say I prefer the Zeiss eyecups to Nikon, it is meaningless to anyone other than me.

Last edited:
Short answer: for $1000 buy the Zeiss Conquest, 8x32 or 8x42. I cannot find a single fault with mine, the 8x32... unlike the Nikon's I compared them with.
These are all pretty nice binos - the light weight of the MGH should be mentioned, several ounces lighter in 42mm than most others. And nice optics. The sticking point for me is it's only another $300-400 to go from MGH to EDG, I think EDG is the better value there.

Conversely, Conquest to SF is a massive price jump, Conquest seems like a good value point, and the SFL's as well.

The sticking point for me is it's only another $300-400 to go from MGH to EDG, I think EDG is the better value there.

Hi,

where are you based? Over here, a new EDG will be north of 2 grand, if available. New MHGs are around a grand and available easily. Sure, if you compare a new MHG to a used EDG from japanese ebay, this might be correct but apples to oranges...

Joachim

Hi,

where are you based? Over here, a new EDG will be north of 2 grand, if available. New MHGs are around a grand and available easily. Sure, if you compare a new MHG to a used EDG from japanese ebay, this might be correct but apples to oranges...

Joachim
I believe there are a few Japanese websites that sell the EDG’s for around $1500 give or take a bit. A few people here have posted where they got them. My opinion is that MHG are fantastic binoculars that fall into what I call the sweet spot of what you get at the price point , the overall quality compared to the so called alpha class. In this case at around $1500 for an EDG , I’d say is the better bargain and bang for the buck. The EDG imo is a true alpha class binocular.

Current price of EDG from Kyoie Osaka to USA is around $1300 for the 7x42 and $1400 for the 8x42. However we don't pay any additional taxes or duties on incoming binos, I think the situation might be different in Europe.

The EDG are not perfect but for my money I'd spend the extra $400 to make the upgrade from Monarch. The Monarch are 3 ounces lighter though, that is nice. It depends what you're looking for, the EDG are extremely good at getting rid of false color, that would be a clear advantage over the MHG's and SFL's.

I'm starting to value that aspect more, in wintertime blue and purple fringing around the edge is really annoying in bright sun and snow. I've never picked up a Conquest bino before though, can't speak to MGH vs. Conquest.

Current price of EDG from Kyoie Osaka to USA is around $1300 for the 7x42 and $1400 for the 8x42. However we don't pay any additional taxes or duties on incoming binos, I think the situation might be different in Europe.
Hi,

thanks for the store hint... point taken. 200,000 Yen ex tax for the EDG 8x42 is 1300 USD and change.

Although I see on their site also an MHG 8x42 for 105,000 Yen ex tax or 700 USD... so maybe we should compare those two prices ;-)

Joachim, who right now tries to forget the prices for some Tak scopes... I have enough optics, I have enough optics, I have enough optics...

I appear to have become some kind of "focuser Nazi" with unbelievably high, demanding standards for focuser action! :) I'm used to astronomy telescope focusers which tend to be very smooth & precise because we need to focus at 300x.
But astro telescopes don't need to be waterproof! Or do they?

One would think that with CNC machining and all the other clever stuff available these days, it ought to be able to produce a focusing mechanism, even an internally focusing one (the external focus mechanism of your 7x35 is simpler and easier to produce) that is solid and positive. But yet it seems not. I suppose when seals and O-rings etc are added into the mix, and a greaseless focuser is considered necessary, the sacrifice is focuser feel. Then again, I have to admit - I never really thought any of the demos I tried (which ought to have had a heck of a lot more miles on them than most owners' binoculars), alpha and sub-alpha, were unsatisfactory in that respect. You wouldn't be a concert pianist or a safe-cracker when you're not birding, would you? :giggle:

Last edited:
Some astro scopes used for military purposes have a waterproof cover and an optical window.

Large professional scopes are totally exposed.

Aero lenses should have their protective filter in front, but often forgotten and the front elements are so sand blasted as to be almost opaque.
Used at 80m above the ground at 500 knots.

Regards,
B.

Hi,

thanks for the store hint... point taken. 200,000 Yen ex tax for the EDG 8x42 is 1300 USD and change.

Although I see on their site also an MHG 8x42 for 105,000 Yen ex tax or 700 USD... so maybe we should compare those two prices ;-)

Joachim, who right now tries to forget the prices for some Tak scopes... I have enough optics, I have enough optics, I have enough optics...
I think I read somewhere that Kyoie will not sell Monarchs to USA customers because Nikon USA sells them here, unlike EDG and E2, but I could be wrong on that. They do have some rules they follow in accordance with their licensing agreements. You can usually find Monarchs for 10% off in sales in the USA so that's not too bad.

I've ordered some Tak and Masuyama gear from them over the years too, they're a very classy reliable company IMO. DHL air shipping is usually about $50 on small items and you can use Wise transfer service and avoid foreign transaction fee gouging on your credit cards or Paypal.

I want to thank all of you for this valuable input, but I'm putting a hold on replacement for right now. The main reason is that I've changed my needs - 22 ounces, the same weight as my Nikon 8x32 SE, now seems to be a little too heavy and I want something lighter than that. That basically rules out the only new contender, the Conquest. I can try the 8x30 SFL but I'd prefer to await a sale before trying. I might try a used pair from B&H, for instance. Still, it will be hard to find anything I like as much as the 8x32 SE or the 8x42 SF without the weight.

I'll post if I find anything, but I doubt it's imminent.

Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back