• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

SV 8x32 low light performance. (1 Viewer)

Torview

I`v had my SV a while now and although it has its shortcomings with stray light it is the first 32mm binocular I`m really happy with in low or fading light.

Last evening was very dark and grey here with thick cloud cover and a cloud base down to around 350m. I was very impressed with the way the SV sucked in the light making id`s possible even at 19.15 bst.

I could easily see the colour in Chiffchaff`s and Robins well after my EII had given up and become useless. I think the easy eye placement the big oculars allow helped here as well.

Although I no longer have my UVHD 8x42 I find I can keep birding and seeing detail for the same duration as I could with the Leica.

I was thinking about adding an SLC 8x42 for Winter use, but I will take my time deciding now more carefully.

I'm not surprised. I have a few nice 8x42's, but I never use them. My very good 8x32's do everything I ask of them........

In my experience... a good 8X32 doesn't give UP a WHOLE lot to an 8X42.. My Cabela's Euro HD 8X32 and Vortex HD 8X32 hang in there with the 42s...

Last edited:
I'm glad you find the 8x32's working for you. The SV's certainly have that roam around view which must help a lot. I think the view being sharp to the edge also increses the 'perception' of brightness - a helpful brain illusion if you will ....

Folks would be surprised how much Exit Pupil diameter even the older eyeball can use - it's well beyond 4mm ...... Ed presented some eye opening :eek!: :-O data previously - well worth checking out. The caveat is that even though the pupil opens right up, so do the eye's aberrations .......

Maybe my bung shoulder is getting stronger, but I have no hankering for an 8x32 at all (unless Zeiss pull the finger and deliver a sub 500grm carbon fiber 8x32 HT with Ultra FL glass, and 96%+ transmission to boot :) The 4mm Exit Pupil is surprisingly limiting for me, even in daylight, and I know that even a 5mm EP runs out of puff toward sunset for me (prolly the only thing preventing a 10x50SV taking pride of residence) ..... the question for me is, which one of the Alpha dawgs is going to deliver that sub 850grm (30oz) carbon fiber Ultra+ glass 9x50 HTSV for me ????? ............. :cat:

Chosun :gh:

From Swarovski - so if older than 65 years of age it should not matter.

Looks like an 8x56 model would not be benefit me anymore than an 8 x42 model would (all other things being equal!) IPD would definitely be more critical with the 8x42 though!

Everyone eyes are different.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-09-25-23-42-47.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-09-25-23-42-47.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 177
Last edited:
Last edited:
The $2500 expenditure wouldn't be part of the reason would it ? 3:)

(QUOTE=Chosun Juan;3286408]

I know that even a 5mm EP runs out of puff toward sunset for me (prolly the only thing preventing a 10x50SV taking pride of residence)

Chosun :gh:[/QUOTE]

Yup! That too - that's a lot of coin for a daytime bin .... maybe just one compromise too far - I'd already be overlooking the not insubstantial heft! :eek!: In that case you can see the attraction of the 8x32SV for a lot of folk (if you are going to compromise, then you may as well do it properly!) ...... :t:

I reckon the 9x50 would do it all, provided it was made right (8* fov, carbony goodness and sub 850grams weight, Ultra FL+, and HT glass WOWness, and dual density armouring etc :)

Now can you Alpha guys please get cracking! :king:

Folks would be surprised how much Exit Pupil diameter even the older eyeball can use - it's well beyond 4mm ...... Ed presented some eye opening :eek!: :-O data previously - well worth checking out. The caveat is that even though the pupil opens right up, so do the eye's aberrations .......

Maybe my bung shoulder is getting stronger, but I have no hankering for an 8x32 at all (unless Zeiss pull the finger and deliver a sub 500grm carbon fiber 8x32 HT with Ultra FL glass, and 96%+ transmission to boot :) The 4mm Exit Pupil is surprisingly limiting for me, even in daylight, and I know that even a 5mm EP runs out of puff toward sunset for me (prolly the only thing preventing a 10x50SV taking pride of residence) ..... the question for me is, which one of the Alpha dawgs is going to deliver that sub 850grm (30oz) carbon fiber Ultra+ glass 9x50 HTSV for me ????? ............. :cat:

Well, I really like 8x32s - when I need a small and reasonably light binocular on birding trips abroad or on trips where I use my binoculars for long hours in the field.

But in all other situations I prefer large exit pupils, even in bright sunlight. Binoculars with large exit pupils are that much easier on the eye. And I often find them optically better than binoculars with smaller exit pupils, especially with regard to how they handle stray light. That's the reason why I've been using the Habicht 7x42 so much lately despite its small field of view - it's very light, has large exit pupils and handles stray light very, very well.

Hermann

All I know is that I can see and identify birds, using my 10X42, that I can just barely make out with my bare eyeballs, or sometimes not even see. This is for a rather short time, but it is significant.

I have no experience with 8X32 glasses.

Slightly off topic, but I got to compare my Sv to the new Leica 8x32 HD+ and Kowa 8x33 genesis yesterday. Sadly for me the Leica was very picky about eye placement causing vignetting far to easily, beautiful clarity though, the Kowa was a real surprise but a tad warm after the S & L.

I still think the sv is the top 8x32 currently despite the glare issues.

With the talk about an easier view with large exit pupils, I always enjoy comparing my 10x32 SV's with large exit pupil glasses - I don't seem to miss much at all in brightness or ease of view, and appreciate the extra magnification a great deal.

John F

I reckon the 9x50 would do it all, provided it was made right (8* fov, carbony goodness and sub 850grams weight, Ultra FL+, and HT glass WOWness, and dual density armouring etc :)

CJ

HT glass WOWness???

Please cut out this weak-at-the-knees, gushing, fan-gurl, marketing dept hype :-O :-O :-O

Lee

Slightly off topic, but I got to compare my Sv to the new Leica 8x32 HD+ and Kowa 8x33 genesis yesterday. Sadly for me the Leica was very picky about eye placement causing vignetting far to easily, beautiful clarity though, the Kowa was a real surprise but a tad warm after the S & L.

I still think the sv is the top 8x32 currently despite the glare issues.

I cannot agree more with you brief descriptions:
*Leica 8x32---blackouts for me too
*Kowa 8x33---smallish sweet spot and felt a bit heavier than it actually was
*SV 8x32 likely the best 8x32 at least until the SF 8x32 will be unveiled....IF the SV did not suffer from glare issues it would remain the best 8x32 for a long time. But it does suffer from rather serious glare problems which make me rather nervous when the sun is anywhere near the field of view.....

With the talk about an easier view with large exit pupils, I always enjoy comparing my 10x32 SV's with large exit pupil glasses - I don't seem to miss much at all in brightness or ease of view, and appreciate the extra magnification a great deal.

John F

Hi John:

Glad to hear you enjoy your SV 10x32. I have tried to complement my SV 8x32 with a 10x32 but for the me the latter did not work out:
*Likely owing to the smaller EP, the glare issue of the 10x seemed more serious than that of the 8x
*Consequently the image through the 10x was more "nervous"
*I do not seem to be sensitive to RB, but I felt a certain eyestrain after using the 10x.

Peter.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back