• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

7D vs. 5D mkII (1 Viewer)

rjlp

Hello all.

I just received my Canon 7D and made a quick comparison this morning. It is raining and very overcast, far from decent conditions, but I thought this might be interesting for some of you.

These images are all at ISO 3200, with my 400 f/5.6L lens, pointed at a coneflower about 40 feet away. I think it is a good way to show relative noise as well as sharpness. All images right out of the camera with neutral settings and no sharpening or noise reduction.

The first image is made with the 5D mkII and is a 100% crop.
The second image is a 100% crop from the 7D. It is obviously more pixels for the same subject crop. And the third frame is the same 7D image resized to better approximate the size of the 5D2 crop.

To me, it looks like the 7D is a bit sharper, with better shadow detail, but of course somewhat noisier. I sold my 40D to help finance the 7D purchase, but from prior tests I know that the 5D2 was far superior to the 40D in terms of noise and overall sharpness at 100% crops. So I am impressed with the 7D so far.

Attachments

• 5d.jpg
    5d.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 209
  • 7d-actual_pixels.jpg
    7d-actual_pixels.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 197
  • 7d-crop_to_size.jpg
    7d-crop_to_size.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 192
another test

Ok, here is another test.

These are done indoors with incandescent lighting. Both using my 400 f/5.6L lens at f/5.6, auto color balance, 2500 ISO, neutral color settings, and right out of the camera, no sharpening or noise reduction. Distance from camera was again about 40 feet.

First image is from the 5D2, and second is from the 7D. Both 100% crops actual pixels. I have to say I'm impressed with this camera.

Attachments

• 5d2.jpg
    5d2.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 267
  • 7d.jpg
    7d.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 282
Thanks for posting, as you say the 7D looks a bit sharper but with more noise although still very good for ISO 2,500 which is very impressive.

I reckon all this is as one expects then, the little extra MP of the 5DmkII ins't enough to out resolve the crop sensor of the 7D but the full frame sensor gives it better noise despite the extra MP. That's probably an oversimplified version of what's going on and I'm sure there's more to it but then again I am a simpleton at heart.

Does give is at last a very interesting direct comparison of crop vs FF sensors, thanks for taking the time to do this. :t:

Your 5D MkII + 400 f/5.6L combo could benefit from AF micro-calibration...

Yes, I had already optimized the AF micro calibration on both cameras. I found both the 5D2 and 7D required a +7 adjustment for my 400mm f/5.6L lens. I think that was a big reason why I felt the sharpness of that lens somewhat lacking on my 40D. On the other hand, my 24-105L is best straight up on both the 5D2 and 7D. I was reassured that the micro calibration adjustments were confirmed as the same between the two cameras.

This is the same as I am getting and the comparisons are similar to the 50d. I don't mind giving up a little more noise which can be corrected vs spot on focus. This is a no brainer in my book. The focus in the BIFs in this forum and others is quite remarkable.

RJLP, thank you for the time to do this comparo. The expectation of noisier shadows on the 7D is no surprise. Still, 3200 is mind-blowingly better than on my 20D. :-O The degree of sharpness is impressive to me, however. It would be interesting to see the 7D up against the 50D (I'm sure someone will do that comparison soon enough). It looks like a really promising step forward for arguing the use of an APS-C instead of a full frame. Can't wait to see songbirds with this body.

Interesting, why not do some comparisons at the ISO we all shot at 400 and also 800 for Birds. Thanks for time taken over these. 50d v 7d and 40d v 7d would be nice anyone.

Weather here is still overcast, but at least it's not raining or snowing, (yes, yesterday we had a trace of snow). It is hard to do a comparison between cameras on a bird shot, as I haven't persuaded one to stay still while I switch bodies.

So this latest test is on a line of trees about 500 foot from the camera. Lens was my 400mm f/5.6L on a tripod using the self timer to release shutters. ISO 100 and aperture priority f/5.6 in both cameras. First the full image (reduced to 800px) on 5D2 and full image on 7d. Then actual pixels 100% crop from center of image from 5D2, and final image is the same thing from the 7D. No sharpening on any of the images.

Basically I think the same results here as with the other tests, although the difference is not quite as apparent. Some of the veins in the leaves seem to be sharper on the 7D, and at 100 ISO noise is not an issue.

Attachments

• 5d-ff.jpg
    5d-ff.jpg
    215.1 KB · Views: 116
  • 7d-ff.jpg
    7d-ff.jpg
    203 KB · Views: 116
  • 5d2.jpg
    5d2.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 149
  • 7d.jpg
    7d.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 152
Last edited:
One more test.. Same setup, this time the subject is a black-eyed susan at about 50'. ISO 100, no sharpening. 100% crops. Same result I think.

Attachments

• 5d2-flower.jpg
    5d2-flower.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 160
  • 7d-flower.jpg
    7d-flower.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 147
These two images are really quite interesting. This if from a deep shadow area in the middle of a dense spruce tree at about 100'. Both at ISO 640. Spot metering on the light area of the central branch on each camera. The difference on the dark background area is surprising.. Yes the 7D shows more noise, but look how the shadow areas are brought out.

Also, I just noticed that the forum software did not allow me to upload the files I had, which were ~500k. These have been resized and not actual 100% crops in this case.

Attachments

• 5d2-branch.jpg
    5d2-branch.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 135
  • 7d-branch.jpg
    7d-branch.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 153
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back