• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Goa Winter 2016 - 2017 (1 Viewer)

Chris Galvin

I thought I'd start off this thread for the winter season for folks to perhaps post their sightings and trip reports etc.

I will be back in Goa from Feb 2nd for my fifth time so all those that go earlier it would be great to see what you have seen where and when?

I've just come across another remarkable record for Goa from earlier this autumn: Spotted Flycatcher at Cotigao on 30 September. Photo here - http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S31823189 The most southerly record for the subcontinent (by some way).
There have been some tremendous seabird sightings this late summer and autumn too, mainly at the very southern end of Goa and off adjacent Kawar - Long-tailed Skua, Black Tern, White-eyed Gull (all photographed). Birders on survey vessels off here have also recorded a good few Swinhoe's Petrels and Masked Boobys, plus Flesh-footed Shearwater, as well as the more expected Wilson's Petrels and Persian Shearwaters. It's great that more birders are looking and reporting.
Here's hoping for a productive winter period to come.

Mark

Have just returned from 3 weeks in Goa. This was our 19th visit to India. We use Rayman as our guide,9922271840 and he helped us find 3 new birds. A red avadavat near Crambolin. A banded bay cuckoo and a white napped woodpecker in Bondla.
There were crab plovers in Morjim. The MD was full of birders. Trip rather spoiled with the money problems. All 500 and 1000 notes now defunct. Hopefully by Jan. the ATMs will be working. Take sterling with you.Had to use it in some of the restaurants. Could only change sterling in Mapsa and Pamjim.

There has also been a Crab Plover at Agassim (on the R.Zuari) in the last week or so. A few local birders have been exploring Mhadei wildlife sanctuary near Valpoi recently; as well as the usual W.Ghats birds, a male Ultramarine Flycatcher has been photographed.

Mark

Some great crake action reported at Carambolim over the last few weeks. Watercock, Baillon's Crake and Ruddy-breasted Crake are all expected, but much rarer are Water Rail and Spotted Crake (records via Ebird, Andy Warr and Brian Stretch). Excellent backup photos at http://ebird.org/ebird/india/view/checklist?subID=S34218732 The last Spotted Crakes I'd seen documented for Goa were in 1996 and 2003, and Water Rail was perhaps at best suspected, but not proven in Goa.
Also Jungle Prinia photographed at Carambolim on 31 Jan (http://ebird.org/ebird/india/view/checklist?subID=S34218561) - first photo I've seen from Goa. Pallas's Grasshopper and Common Grasshopper Warblers have been seen in the paddies there recently, along with good numbers of Streaked Weavers, Tricoloured Munias and Citrine Wagtails.

Mark

Some excellent sightings from earlier this winter include a 1w. Kittiwake at Morjim on 25 Nov (2nd Goan record), Bimaculated Lark nr Carambolim on 10 Nov (2nd record) and a fantastic flock of 160 Amur Falcons over Arpora ridge on 19 Nov. (Info from Birding Asia mag)

Mark

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back