• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Manfrotto service (1 Viewer)

squidge

Wha Whassssat
Anybody have difficulty when dealing with Manfrotto. I own a 701HDV head which is still under guarantee, The plate release lever fell off and I have being trying to get a replacement for a month now.

I sent an email to Manfrotto who in turn sent the email to my countries distributor. I got an email saying that when one arrives they will let me know and the cost of the part.

I would presume that the parts guarantee would include parts that fall off as happened here. I've sent two more emails now without reply asking for an update. Not impressed as I'm having to use a small spanner to tighten and loosen the lever. Ger.

Me too...

I am like 1 month already trying to find out an simple, very simple answer about one of their products.
And after one month they are still unable to reply me with a simple Yes or No.

Squidge,

Under UK law I think your "contract" is with whoever sold it to you when it is under guarantee, and it's their job to replace or repair faulty goods. If consumer law in the Republic (Drogheda is in the Repuplic ?) is the same or similar enough to the UK, then you might be better taking/sending it back to where you bought it and getting it replaced.

If they won't replace the head for free under guarantee then you might be quicker buying the part yourself from manfrottospares.com in the UK.

Mark

Hi, Yes Drogheda is in the republic. I bought the head off amazon.co.uk. I dont really want to replace the head. Its just the http://www.manfrottospares.com/ that I was looking to get replaced. Its the inconvenience of using a small spanner to tighten and loosen the quick release plate as the silver screw is ok plus the lack of communication coming back that is so annoying. Ger.

Hi I am the product Manager for Manfrotto UK, usually you should contact the distributor in your region for service and spares, however if you call our UK Head Office +44 1293 583300 and ask for Steve, (he deals with our spares), between you if you can work out what is needed, we will see what we can do to get you sorted out.

Hi I contacted the distributor in Ireland who said they will get back shortly a month ago. Two further emails were sent to them without reply. I sent an email to Manfrotto headquarters yesterday and received a reply today asking what country I was from even though they sent my original email to the Irish distributor at the very beginning of the process.

Thanks for the number Ill give it a call, Ger.

Don't feel bad. Manfrotto communication/spares availability/service is just as lacking in the US as it seems to be on your side of the water. They don't return emails/phonecalls/snailmails here either. And no dealers seem to stock parts any longer as ABA Sales once did. Decent product backed up (?) by rather problematic after-sales care. Good Luck!

I know this isn`t any help to Squidge and everyone has different experiences with manufacturers( don`t get me started on Leica!!!) but I have just had very quick and easy dealings with Manfrottospares. I found the details of the component I needed on the website, bought the item online and within two days had the said item.This is the first time I`ve had dealings with Manfrotto( mainly because the tripod head hasn`t had anything wrong with it after 8 years) and obviously it`s different to Squidge`s but I`m very pleased with the service.Best of luck to Squidge in getting this resolved.

Vic,

It's a pleasure to see a manufacturer take the time to join and monitor this forum, and to identify themselves when necessary to sort out a problem. I wish a number of other manufacturers would do the same !

Regards

Mark

Your gripe isn't with manfrotto service. They dealt with your problem. Your gripe is with the local distributor, who quite frankly don't owe you much in the way of good will.

You bought something over the Internet and worse in their eyes from a different country.

If you buy something on the internet don't expect shop aftersales service......

If you buy something on the internet don't expect shop aftersales service......

What?
Heh you are obviously wrong. The manufacturer, producer, seller, retailer... whatever was the mean you used to get the product(internet or not)... are all, as a chain, responsible to give you good service and clear information.

If manfrotto uses the local retailers as their costumer service... both manfrotto and the retailer are responsible.

This guy bought a product through amazon uk. Then when he had a problem went direct to the manufacturer not the retailer.

The manufacturer then directed them, correctly in my view, to the national distributor who, correctly, said this isn't covered under any of our guarantees but we can source the bit which you will have to pay for, once again correctly.

Thus guys recourse was obviously with amazon.

Imagine if you buy a damaged product at a massive discount. Then rather than going back to the retailer you go to the manufacturer and say this is damaged, it's your problem. I'm not saying that was true of this particular case but is feasible as an example.

Obviously, everyone in the chain has an interest in ensuring customer satisfaction but i don't see how the national distributor have any interest in helping someone who quite obviously bypassed their sales routes. They have,however, offered a solution which because not free wasn't satisfactory......

Last edited:
But manfrotto themselves use the national distributor as surrogated.

Also, at least in my country(and most of the countries I know) the consumer protection law consider each and/or every single element of a chain... from designing to production to distribution and after services to take full responsibility for the actions of each other.

Let´s suppose manfrotto made the product perfect, then in the storage of the retailer that product was damaged.... and you bought it. You can go against manfrotto or against the retailer... later they discuss among them who was responsible, but first both and each take full responsibility.

i doubt that would be the case. Each product would be signed off as fit at the factory. When the product arrives at the retailer they have to 'sign off' or accept the product and thereafter it's their problem. If they drop it there is no comeback on manufacturer.....

i doubt that would be the case. Each product would be signed off as fit at the factory. When the product arrives at the retailer they have to 'sign off' or accept the product and thereafter it's their problem. If they drop it there is no comeback on manufacturer.....

Again, I am talking about my country... not yours.

And the way I mentioned is exactly how it happens toward consumers here.

This guy bought a product through amazon uk. Then when he had a problem went direct to the manufacturer not the retailer.

The manufacturer then directed them, correctly in my view, to the national distributor who, correctly, said this isn't covered under any of our guarantees but we can source the bit which you will have to pay for, once again correctly.

Thus guys recourse was obviously with amazon.

Imagine if you buy a damaged product at a massive discount. Then rather than going back to the retailer you go to the manufacturer and say this is damaged, it's your problem. I'm not saying that was true of this particular case but is feasible as an example.

Obviously, everyone in the chain has an interest in ensuring customer satisfaction but i don't see how the national distributor have any interest in helping someone who quite obviously bypassed their sales routes. They have,however, offered a solution which because not free wasn't satisfactory......

Am I correct in saying your quotes are referring to me. If so your implication that I'm looking for free stuff is just downright ignorant, unfounded and completely untrue.

For a start when products are bought in Ireland off Amazon its through Uk as there is no Amazon.ie.

Where did I say the national distributor said it wasnt covered by the guarantee? Unless your privy to my email account then you know absolutely nothing about the wording of the emails between myself, Manfrotto and the distributor.

What solution am I not happy about?

My parts guarantee is with Manfrotto not Amazon. As for bypassing sales routes what the hell are you talking about. Goodnnight. Ger

PS If your quotes are not referring to me I do apologise.

I'm not saying that was true of this particular case but is feasible as an example.
There is a little of reading between the lines but my discussion points have moved on to general market practices.

However, you did start the thread by saying that they (national distributor) will let you know the cost of the part and that you had presumed that the cost would be covered by the guarantee.

The crux of the discussion was surrounding retailer/distributor or manufacturer liability.

Yes and your reading between the lines gave you the completely wrong assumtion.

As regards the cost of the part (£6.43) which is not my gripe and my presumption that it was covered under the guarantee would mean I did not know if it was covered or not. I presumed it was.

As I said my guarantee is with Manfrotto not Amazon thus I contacted Manfrotto to find out how to go about getting the part.

My problem is the amount of time it is taking to get the part. If I had known about Manfrottospares.com I would have went there at the beginning to avoid any delays.

I have rang the number given by Manfrotto UK and left my number for a call back on Thursday without reply.

Yesterday I received an email from the national distributor saying they will have the part in mid September so I'll wait and see. Ger.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back