• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Minox BD 15x58 (1 Viewer)

Sancho

Europe
I tried some "big-eyes" previously, a cheap Chinese-made 20x80 (just for kicks - lovely and wide but lousy CA), and a Pentax 20x60 PCF WPII (lots of CA, keyhole-FOV). But I came into possession today of a used Minox 15x58 ED (via a trade with BF gentleman Binoboy), and I am well-impressed. Heavy (just over 1.5 kilos), but I find them quite stable, I hand-held them for fairly long periods today, and can keep them very steady on a monopod. The thumb indents underneath dictate that your thumbs be perpendicular to your eyes, pointing back, and this is a very comfortable and stable way to support them. Big wide oculars, very easy eye-placement, no blackouts. Practically flare-free, even at sunset pointing almost towards the sun. Bright and sharp, wide FOV (about 4.1 degrees), very flat field, minimal pincushioning, fairly good CA control. They´re just what I was looking for, as like a previous poster on a Minox 15x thread, I don´t find the jump from 8.5x to 10 or even 12x particularly dramatic. But jumping to 15x gives me the "oomph" I want for resting the eyes from scoping on long days out seawatching. I wouldn´t recommend dragging a scope and the big Minox around all day, but for stationary viewing they are great. (I assume that originally they were marketed at hunters who used them from shooting-posts?). Maybe one day in the future I´ll go Swaro 15x, but for the moment these Minox fit the bill very nicely.

P.S. - they have a very interesting (to me) diopter arrangement - big wide friendly focusser, and on the same spindle, but just on the far side from your eyes, a diopter with a raised notch with which you can make fine adjustments, with the focussing finger.

I also have thought about these. Three times I almost purchased a pair. But each time backed off for one reason or another.

You do not hear much about these binoculars. It is good to read a review--even if it is a short review.

Sancho, care to tell us more?

...Bob

I also have thought about these. Three times I almost purchased a pair. But each time backed off for one reason or another.

You do not hear much about these binoculars. It is good to read a review--even if it is a short review.

Sancho, care to tell us more?

...Bob

I´m not sure there´s much else to add, Bob. I had them out today at a local coastal reserve, for 3 hours just for kicks n´giggles, with a monopod. I carried them around my neck for quite a while, they weren´t too bad. On the monopod, I could keep them remarkably stable (although it wasn´t windy). A friend had a pair of 10x binos, the comparison with the 15x for distant birds was quite incredible - 50% extra mag is a huge jump. I´ve no problem with the FOV, eye-relief (16mm) is fine, and they are far brighter than I thought they would be. I found myself adjusting the dioptre a lot for different distances...maybe I´m just trying to get used to the settings. There was probably more lateral CA than I at first thought in strong light (horizon etc.), but not enough to bother me. There were times when I wished I´d brought my scope (distant divers etc.), but generally I was very happy with the Minox. At the moment Cameraland NY has a good deal on them, I think they´re about half the original price. Other models I´d love to see are the Swaro SLC 15x56, and the similar Vortex Kaibab or 15x50 Viper (all unavailable in stores here, so if any 15x enthusiasts out there have opinions, I´d be grateful). But to be honest, this size bino really only fills a fairly specific niche for me, they probably won´t get used terribly often - they´re not really the kind of binos you want to carry for very long and will only be used for stationary viewing. That said, when on the move, for a quick look at something distant, when setting up a scope would be a nuisance, these are superb.

Edit: Methinks the Vortex Viper 15x50 would be interesting. Weighs only 800-odd grams. Nearly half the Minox. Probably not as bright (?) but same FOV (about 4 degrees).

Last edited:
I just tried those out side by side with my 12x45 Conquests hoping they would smash the hell out of them in light gathering and ability to resolve far off objects but they didn't. But APOV circle was absolutely HUGE in comparison, I mean easily double the size. They were also surprisingly light compared to how they looked. They look so big but I found them to be much lighter than I expected.

I don't hunt I just like to look at things so these were not for me and I never got see the 13's. Not really interested in jumping from 12 or 12.5 to 13 anyhow.

Also I thought they looked really great, I'm a big fan of the design of the Minox line.

They were also surprisingly light compared to how they looked. They look so big but I found them to be much lighter than I expected.

They certainly look big and chunky, Nessus, and they weigh over 1.5 kilos. But they just don´t feel that heavy in the hand. Couldn´t be good for your spine to have them dangling around your neck for too long, but worn over the shoulder they´re okay. I think the Vortex Kaibab are lighter.

P.S. - I had them out today at the shore, they were really superb and a great "two-eyes" solution. They don´t replace a scope, but as I said, complement it on long days out. Big, friendly AFOV, very easy eye-placement. One point to note is that while watching gulls, etc. flying over dark sea in bright sunlight, the ED glass is fringe-free only around the "bull´s eye" area of the FOV. This isn´t a problem, they´re far better than the Pentax 20x60 I tried earlier, but it´s worth noting if ýou´re particularly CA-sensitive and about to rush out to buy a bargain pair from Cameraland.

Last edited:
For those that are interested we do still have these on sale for only $549.99, http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/minox.pl?page=62132

With a strong sense that time was running short and that these bins truly would be here today and gone tomorrow, I took the plunge and am, frankly, amazed at both the build quality and performance. Perhaps others can use these hand held (I can't) but the views on either a monopod or tripod are worth the set up effort. Interestingly, my binocular adjusts the right barrel ocular with a conventional ring rather than a center spindle device as pictured in the CameraLand website and I suspect it is late production example rather than a binocular from earlier in the run. Regardless, a bright and surprisingly wide field 15x binocular image is a genuine and unexpected treat. CameraLand deserves a real high five for their support of the Minox brand and for making these and other Minox binoculars available at amazingly attractive prices.

With a strong sense that time was running short and that these bins truly would be here today and gone tomorrow, I took the plunge and am, frankly, amazed at both the build quality and performance. Perhaps others can use these hand held (I can't) but the views on either a monopod or tripod are worth the set up effort. Interestingly, my binocular adjusts the right barrel ocular with a conventional ring rather than a center spindle device as pictured in the CameraLand website and I suspect it is late production example rather than a binocular from earlier in the run. Regardless, a bright and surprisingly wide field 15x binocular image is a genuine and unexpected treat. CameraLand deserves a real high five for their support of the Minox brand and for making these and other Minox binoculars available at amazingly attractive prices.

Wow what a beast.

Large mag bins have piqued my curiosity recently. Squinting one eyed down a scope takes a bigger toll on my eyes compared to when I was younger.

How do you think a 15x58 bin would compare against my 23x80 scope. Would the use of two eyes make up for the lesser mag?
On a tripod, bins must be quite a bit more difficult to pan with, I should imagine.

I just ordered a BD 15x58 ED today. It comes with a tripod adapter and I ordered a Vortex High Country to go along with it. These babys weigh in at 3.3 lbs, so im sure the tripod will be needed!

Thanks for the great deal Doug!!!

Josh

Wow what a beast.

Large mag bins have piqued my curiosity recently. Squinting one eyed down a scope takes a bigger toll on my eyes compared to when I was younger.

How do you think a 15x58 bin would compare against my 23x80 scope. Would the use of two eyes make up for the lesser mag?
On a tripod, bins must be quite a bit more difficult to pan with, I should imagine.

You're right, Martin - this bin is truly a beast, but a very interesting one, nonetheless. I have been alternating between a monopod and tripod, and am now convinced that (for me) a tripod is the best way to go. I have a panning head on my tripod so panning (for hawks at the moment) has not been a problem. I have to admit that I have never been much a fan of scopes, other than for digiscoping nests, and find panning with a scope very frustrating. I admit that I bought the big Minox more from want than need, but it has proven to be very enjoyable and I have no regrets whatsoever.

You're right, Martin - this bin is truly a beast, but a very interesting one, nonetheless. I have been alternating between a monopod and tripod, and am now convinced that (for me) a tripod is the best way to go. I have a panning head on my tripod so panning (for hawks at the moment) has not been a problem. I have to admit that I have never been much a fan of scopes, other than for digiscoping nests, and find panning with a scope very frustrating. I admit that I bought the big Minox more from want than need, but it has proven to be very enjoyable and I have no regrets whatsoever.

Thinking about it, I suspect that I would prefer large bins with angled eyepieces. They would probably be better for panning. I much prefer angled scopes when on a tripod.

Thinking about it, I suspect that I would prefer large bins with angled eyepieces. They would probably be better for panning. I much prefer angled scopes when on a tripod.

Hi Martin, I had the Minoxes down at the coast today, just faffing about at the beach with the kids. I was keeping an eye out to sea for fear of Balearic Shearwaters passing, and have some observations on the binos. The CA under extreme conditions is noticeable - distant, flying seabirds against a bright sky, for example. I use them when sitting and can balance my elbows on my knees, or alternatively use a monopod. Although impressive on a tripod, they don´t replace a scope, but serve to provide relaxed views handheld or whatever, when seawatching, taking a break from the scope. I know what you mean about angled eyepieces on high-mag binos, but a "proper" birder-friend pointed out to me recently that panning would be difficult - sitting with two eyes to the binos, when you move the panning handle, your whole body would have to shift around! (Mind you, I´d love one of those Kowa Highlanders, just for giggles....)

Last edited:
Hi Martin, I had the Minoxes down at the coast today, just faffing about at the beach with the kids. I was keeping an eye out to sea for fear of Balearic Shearwaters passing, and have some observations on the binos. The CA under extreme conditions is noticeable - distant, flying seabirds against a bright sky, for example. I use them when sitting and can balance my elbows on my knees, or alternatively use a monopod. Although impressive on a tripod, they don´t replace a scope, but serve to provide relaxed views handheld or whatever, when seawatching, taking a break from the scope. I know what you mean about angled eyepieces on high-mag binos, but a "proper" birder-friend pointed out to me recently that panning would be difficult - sitting with two eyes to the binos, when you move the panning handle, your whole body would have to shift around! (Mind you, I´d love one of those Kowa Highlanders, just for giggles....)

It' been a bit of a dream at times that when I retire (if I don't have to work to pay taxes forever to pay off the national debt and subsidise the banks bonus schemes!) that I'll live in a house on the coast (Cornwall maybe bit I'm open to suggestions) and have a huge pair of permanently mounted bins and spend my twighlight years staring out to sea. Kowa Highlander maybe but I picture something bigger. Some sort of anti-aircraft or ships bins. Where can I get something around 30x200mm?

It' been a bit of a dream at times that when I retire (if I don't have to work to pay taxes forever to pay off the national debt and subsidise the banks bonus schemes!) that I'll live in a house on the coast (Cornwall maybe bit I'm open to suggestions) and have a huge pair of permanently mounted bins and spend my twighlight years staring out to sea. Kowa Highlander maybe but I picture something bigger. Some sort of anti-aircraft or ships bins. Where can I get something around 30x200mm?

Well, the 6.6mm exit pupil would probably be lost on you by the time you retire. Even the Fuji 25x150 has 6mm exit pupils, but this model should suit your needs even better (just ask Klinger to find one for you):

http://www.company7.com/fujinon/binocs/25150eddn.html

As far as suggestions as to where to retire, perhaps with what you have left over after purchasing the Fuji on the black market, you can rent a cottage on the Isle of Wight (if it's not too dear).

Well, the 6.6mm exit pupil would probably be lost on you by the time you retire. Even the Fuji 25x150 has 6mm exit pupils, but this model should suit your needs even better (just ask Klinger to find one for you):

http://www.company7.com/fujinon/binocs/25150eddn.html

As far as suggestions as to where to retire, perhaps with what you have left over after purchasing the Fuji on the black market, you can rent a cottage on the Isle of Wight (if it's not too dear).

How much do they cost?

I suspect I may need to live in an almshouse for birders fallen on hard times after getting them. Perhaps the RSPB can oblige. They could consider my annual membership fee as more of a pension contribution.

I'm not convinced that I would need a tripod. More likely a full re-enforced concrete base.

Minox 15x58 Lens cap suggestion

I have recently purchased the Minox 15x58. I am well satisfied with the glass, but would like to replace the lens covers, and rainguard as well. I would appreciate your recommendations. Thanks

Minox 15x58

I too have a set of these binos, I love them, use them for hunting, one question and something I can't understand,''Why can i see throught these binos clearly,with no double vision, but a few of my friends, can't use them cause they see double?? Why them on not me?? Can it be fixed? Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back