• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A visit to Filey today (1 Viewer)

eagle golden

As the weather was good we decided we would have a none birding day over to Filey on the East coast, after a walk round the town, we went for a great fish & chip lunch, brilliant, after we went for a walk down to the promenade and headed for the lifeboat station, as we looked above the station a bird caught our eyes, it was slowly circling with the odd wing beat, from the distance we thought a Kite, then peregrine but as we got nearer, we both said its a Goshawk, sure enough it was doing a pre courting flight over the wood,it gained height then we lost it, about 15 minutes later we were walking up the hill towards town when three men passed, as they were all wearing bino's I asked if they had seen anything, I then told them about our sighting, at first they sort of shrugged and said oh you mean a Sparrowhawk,I then told them we did know the difference, after a few minutes talking I think they believed us, I told them about the Honey Buzzard we saw last year along with a couple of lifers for us both on Samphire hoe near Dover, Black redstart and Adonis Blue, I hope they spot this as I said I would post the pictures for them, sorry about the Honey picture, I was testing a new lens so not very good, but you can clearly see the distinct pattern on the under wing.Was nice meeting you all that's what birding is all about.

Attachments

• honey resize.jpg
    honey resize.jpg
    372.6 KB · Views: 66
  • honey resize2.jpg
    honey resize2.jpg
    375.8 KB · Views: 60
  • adonis blue resize.jpg
    adonis blue resize.jpg
    432.6 KB · Views: 45
  • redstart resize.jpg
    redstart resize.jpg
    405.7 KB · Views: 47
Nice to meet you today E G. Many thanks for posting the shots. Excellent stuff.

The Honey Buzzard is the male we saw on a frequent basis last year.

See you in Filey again soon.

Cheers

Frank

P.S. Sent the think to the others also. They asked me to thank you for posting

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back