• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Optolyth 25x70 BGA/WW Scope (1 Viewer)

gcole

United States
I was wondering if any one has owned or had any experience with the Optolyth draw type scopes ... I tried to find some information on the Optolyth 25x70 BGA/WW scope . I found that it was unavailable to buy in the US & not on the current Optolyth web site as being a current product but did show the Mini 25x70 XS version. I have never owned or handled one ..... Thanks ,gwen

Gwen,
I have experience with Optolyth draw tube telescopes. They are very well built, short/compact and comfortable to use. The optical quality is sufficient for many purposes, allthough the ones I tested have, as color reproduction is concerned, a slight red preference, which some users like and others do not.
Gijs

Optolyth 25x70 BGA/WW Purchased On Ebay

Gwen,
I have experience with Optolyth draw tube telescopes. They are very well built, short/compact and comfortable to use. The optical quality is sufficient for many purposes, allthough the ones I tested have, as color reproduction is concerned, a slight red preference, which some users like and others do not.
Gijs
Out of curiosity , we purchased this Optolyth 25x70 BGA/WW on Ebay for $465. The seller said it sat in his safe(never used), it appears unused & looks to be new. The serial # is 50524. Do you or someone else know when it might have been made ?. Also to focus it , the tube is pulled or twisted out. I really do not know what to make of this type of focusing , not easy. I was wondering if some kind of lubricant can be put on the outside part of the drawtube to make it easier to focus or is this the nature of the beast with this type of spotter.... Thanks gwen

Attachments

• DSC01594.JPG
    DSC01594.JPG
    52.1 KB · Views: 181
  • DSC01595.JPG
    DSC01595.JPG
    52.2 KB · Views: 242
Hello Gwen
with regard to lubricating the outside parts of the draw tube, I would advise caution. However my first scope was a Nickel Supra draw tube (40 years ago). It was Ok in warm weather but as it got colder the draw tube became harder to extend. A friend of mine had the same experience and gave me some silicon grease to use as lubricant. I used a very very small amount and it worked. Whether this is good practice or not, I am not sure.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back