• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Optics salesman? (1 Viewer)

matt green

Norfolkman gone walkabout
Just thought I'd throw out a question or two regarding your experiances with optics salesman, I'm curious how other folks fare when trying out different binoculars and scopes before making a decision before handing over the cash?

I recently had the opportunity to try out a pair of viking ED 8x42 and 10x42 ED binoculars at a certain RSPB that will remain nameless (Titchwell RSPB)reserve only to have a most bizare response after telling the woman I prefered not to use the eyecups retracted even though I don't wear glasses!!!! I was also told these models were made using the same technology as Swarovski's EL range (Bull?)..

Other times I've experianced sloppy attitude and arrogance (ie being looked at as if a tramp with unwashed hands) when leaving the shop having not made a purchase after comparing different models!!

Anyone else experienced similar?

Matt

Strangely the only place I have experienced similar is at the RSPB at Sandy. They have Optics Days and when I have attended I have got the feeling that the person is keen but not a great deal more. The times I was told that the binoculars used BK4 glass became boring. So I asked what the advantage of BK4 over BK7 was as the optical industry use BK7 almost exclusively.

Often gained the idea that the £800 are better just because they are £800. Didn't matter about comfort of using them or anything else just the cost.

My view is that the £800 ones may be good but that is not what the majority are looking for, I think that some places forget that you may sell 10 pairs at £150 for every one at £800.

Found the Bird Fair at Rutland better. Left to look through anything you can get your hands on.

Just thought I'd throw out a question or two regarding your experiances with optics salesman, I'm curious how other folks fare when trying out different binoculars and scopes before making a decision before handing over the cash?

I recently had the opportunity to try out a pair of viking ED 8x42 and 10x42 ED binoculars at a certain RSPB that will remain nameless (Titchwell RSPB)reserve only to have a most bizare response after telling the woman I prefered not to use the eyecups retracted even though I don't wear glasses!!!! I was also told these models were made using the same technology as Swarovski's EL range (Bull?)..

Other times I've experianced sloppy attitude and arrogance (ie being looked at as if a tramp with unwashed hands) when leaving the shop having not made a purchase after comparing different models!!

Matt

May i suggest you shop where there are people who understand optics,in your area you have an excellent store Cley Spy I believe.

POP

I would imagine that the number of establishments that have clerks behind the counter that know as much or more about optics than the average guy on this site, is the minority.

I would imagine that the number of establishments that have clerks behind the counter that know as much or more about optics than the average guy on this site, is the minority.

John: You are right on this subject, I was in a Cabelas store this past year, and was being helped by a younger sales person. I think she mostly worked in the camping area, but wanted to look at the optics.

I wanted to look at one of the Nikon binoculars, and she pronounced it "nickon". :t:

I was impressed!

I wanted to look at one of the Nikon binoculars, and she pronounced it "nickon". :t:

I was impressed!
Huh? I´ve had Nikon ("Nickon") stuff for years and that´s how everyone says it here....including the people who answer the phone at Nikon Service in the UK! How do you pronounce it over there?

Huh? I´ve had Nikon ("Nickon") stuff for years and that´s how everyone says it here....including the people who answer the phone at Nikon Service in the UK! How do you pronounce it over there?

Here in the US, and I think I purchased my first Nikon camera over 30 years ago, I always thought is was pronounced like "icon", with the N. ;)

Important stuff here on the Sat. before Christmas, has everyone finished
their shopping?

Never hear that before Nickon, BT a guy from the US state of Colorado made fun of me for saying Swar off ski and he called it Swar ski and then there is Leopold. :)

During my school years in Texas, ambiguous "foreign" words tended to be pronounced using long vowels. Only after living outside the USA did I learn most of world's major languages operate under the assumption of short vowel pronunciation.

FWIW, the Japanese say "knee-kon".

happy holidays,
Rick

Here in the US, and I think I purchased my first Nikon camera over 30 years ago, I always thought is was pronounced like "icon", with the N. ;)
That´s amazing. Even the pronounciations are localised in a globalised Nikonic (or Nickonic?) world....;).

Christmas shopping? Yes, I´ve started mine, but the major purchase I´ve left too late....want to get Mrs. S. an hour´s flying lesson, but I´ll have to go to the aerodrome on Monday or Tuesday because if I order it online, it won´t get here before Christmas.

That´s amazing. Even the pronounciations are localised in a globalised Nikonic (or Nickonic?) world....;).

Christmas shopping? Yes, I´ve started mine, but the major purchase I´ve left too late....want to get Mrs. S. an hour´s flying lesson, but I´ll have to go to the aerodrome on Monday or Tuesday because if I order it online, it won´t get here before Christmas.

I like the light-hearted, starting to get more like holiday mood here on the BF.

Like a lot of men, I am not much of a shopper, I got on the phone and got
my Mrs. a gift. cert. to the SPA, for a massage, lunch, etc. and that will make her feel like a new woman. :t:
Maybe that will help her understand my optic diversion. ;) Lots of luck!

May i suggest you shop where there are people who understand optics,in your area you have an excellent store Cley Spy I believe.

POP

Well , for the record I have visited and made purchases from this noble establishment in the past and always been happy with the staff......I look forward to putting more custom their way soon but still saving my pennies!!!

The shop at Timber Hill in Norwich (Viking Optical) is also very well stocked and run by a very knowledgable and amiable chap so they're not all bad!

M

I agree, Cley Spy staff and Martin at Timber Hill Viking all very good folk. Very nice people and no hard sell just lots of knowledge to help you decide.

The staff at Titchell RSPB are nice people but a little too keen to big up the RSPB line (which I have never been too impressed by) and, as you said at the start of your post, they can be a bit snooty when you don't buy anything.

cock and bull stories!

I had a simular experience at the same norfolk RSPB reserve. I looked through the RSPB 8x42 bins. I was told by the salesman these were just as good as the sworo's.

I suspect that the RSPB push there own brand as the margins made are significantly higher than those on the top brands!

Having said that I understand the RSPB HDs are very good value for money - if you can put up with the badge!!

Best optic shop in norfolk, with the widest range and best service is Cley spey by some considerable distance. Viking optics in Norfolk sometimes has some real bargains on the second hand front.

Remember always haggle for the best deal!

Last edited:
As I understand it, RSPB 'Salesmen' are actually unpaid volunteers giving up their free time to assist the organisation in its work, in exchange for a discount on RSPB products. They don't benefit personally from any sales they make but I imagine they are keen to make as many sales as possible to help the organisation. They are not necessarily optics experts and I think some allowance should be made for this fact. After all, if anybody is not satisfied with their service there is always the option to volunteer for the job and give up valuable birding time to sit in the shop and assist customers in a friendly and knowledgeable manner.

I also agree that Cley Spy is a brilliant place but I have to say that the staff at Minsmere are usually friendly and helpful to me and have never been pushy or 'snotty'.

Ron

As I understand it, RSPB 'Salesmen' are actually unpaid volunteers giving up their free time to assist the organisation in its work, in exchange for a discount on RSPB products. They don't benefit personally from any sales they make but I imagine they are keen to make as many sales as possible to help the organisation. They are not necessarily optics experts and I think some allowance should be made for this fact. After all, if anybody is not satisfied with their service there is always the option to volunteer for the job and give up valuable birding time to sit in the shop and assist customers in a friendly and knowledgeable manner.

I also agree that Cley Spy is a brilliant place but I have to say that the staff at Minsmere are usually friendly and helpful to me and have never been pushy or 'snotty'.

Ron

No issues with volunteers whatsoever! I have been told by a RSPB volunteer who will remain nameless, that staff are encouraged to put forward the benefits of the RSPB brand.

RSPB optical products represent good value for money apart from the viking scope carrier which is not well made!

I do think customers need to make there own minds up on the merits of products!!

Matt

Hi Matt

As a volunteer Optics Adviser at a certain nameless reserve in Suffolk (Minsmere), I was somewhat dismayed at your post.

Obviously I can't vouch at what happens at Titchwell but my philosophy is to advise to the best of my ability (and I probably spend too much time in this forum), and then let the potential customer decide.

At Minsmere there are usually three employed staff for the shop and a dedicated "Optics Table" which is staffed by a volunteer purely to help people decide and to give advice. This doesn't happen every day yet but is on course for the New Year.

As Ron says not everyone who acts as an adviser will be at the same level but to my knowledge they would have more than a passing interest in optics.

Yes it is in the RSPB's interest to sell their and Viking Brand binoculars and thats why at the reserve that is mostly what is stocked (I think I'm correct in saying). However pretty soon it will be a great place to try all the big 3/4 as there will be demo models to try in the most popular configurations.

Coming back to staff at Titchwell it must depend on who you get as a recent RSPB memo thing quoted positive feedback from a couple who wrote in to compliment the wonderful service they had had.

As regards Viking ED/RSPB HD's comments being as good as alpha's isn't that what some people are saying on this forum about the new crop of chinese open bridge ED bins? (in some respects).

Nev

Hi Matt

As a volunteer Optics Adviser at a certain nameless reserve in Suffolk (Minsmere), I was somewhat dismayed at your post.

Obviously I can't vouch at what happens at Titchwell but my philosophy is to advise to the best of my ability (and I probably spend too much time in this forum), and then let the potential customer decide.

At Minsmere there are usually three employed staff for the shop and a dedicated "Optics Table" which is staffed by a volunteer purely to help people decide and to give advice. This doesn't happen every day yet but is on course for the New Year.

As Ron says not everyone who acts as an adviser will be at the same level but to my knowledge they would have more than a passing interest in optics.

Yes it is in the RSPB's interest to sell their and Viking Brand binoculars and thats why at the reserve that is mostly what is stocked (I think I'm correct in saying). However pretty soon it will be a great place to try all the big 3/4 as there will be demo models to try in the most popular configurations.

Coming back to staff at Titchwell it must depend on who you get as a recent RSPB memo thing quoted positive feedback from a couple who wrote in to compliment the wonderful service they had had.

As regards Viking ED/RSPB HD's comments being as good as alpha's isn't that what some people are saying on this forum about the new crop of chinese open bridge ED bins? (in some respects).

Nev

Nev. If it is the RSPB's interest to sell there own products - ie they do not stock other mid range optics - does that don't potentially influence sales stratagy?

The margins on mid range optics are good. Optics shops can not survive on the sales of high range optics.

Punters buying optics are probably a mixed bunch. Some will be very knowlegable. Many are very much guided by the patter of the salesman.

I have observed optics being sold at Cley spey on a number of occaisions. My comment would be try the models you want to look at and make your own mind up! I suspect having the full range of gear probably helps.

In focus do not stock leica. I have observed their sales people putting Leica optics down. I not a big leica fan myself - but others are! The real reason they are critical of leica is that they can not surply it and therefore are only going to get a sale by pushing other brands - its pretty logical really!

It's always been 'Nickon' for everyone in England, AFAIK.

Tell 'em how they say Peugeot in Tipp, Sancho!

Graham
LOL! I think they say "those French Massey-Fergusons".....

As regards folk working in a shop knowing what they´re selling, I suppose it´s unfair to expect a salesperson to know all the product lines intimately. Most optics shops are really camera shops, no? And a confession....I used to work in a shoe-shop, back in the bad old eighties. I hadn´t a clue about shoes (I´ve learned far more on these since my acquaintance with Mrs. S., who is something of an expert......;))

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back