• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Binocular design and mechanics. (1 Viewer)

NDhunter

Experienced observer
United States
I wanted to comment on roof design and how focusing is accomplished to give us the view we desire.
I am not an expert here but in general the focus knob will move a set of lenses in most roofs (as I have watched in mine) near the objective end.

Most focus knobs are placed in the top of the bin, near the oculars, and so a rod of some type is used to move the lens set, farther down.

Some of the more compact types, for example the Swaro. 8x30 SLC along with others have the focuser near the objective, to make a more direct connection for the task at hand.

Here is an interesting excercise, and I have done this to check for internal
dust issues, take a small flashlight and shine it down into the objectives and
as you focus, watch how this is done. You will quickly see how some focus much quicker than others, etc. You will see the quality differences in how the baffles, dark black matte paint, fine finish, helps with reflection, etc.

And not to forget the porros, the external focusing bridge does all the in and out work, except for the internal focusing types. That is the fun in keeping these waterproof.

I know I have not covered this topic in detail, and I did see the cross section of the new Swarovision, and that seems to be another topic.

I am hoping others will add to the discussion here. This simple explanation is not to be a resource, but an aid to further review. ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back