• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Differences Between Males and Females ??? (1 Viewer)

Bobbo

I'd like to discuss the differences between male and female Hummers !!! Especially their behaviors ... I'm in NJ so I have mainly Ruby Throated Hummers and I notice the females to be much more inquisitive and curious than the males ??? Opinions ???

I'd like to discuss the differences between male and female Hummers !!! Especially their behaviors ... I'm in NJ so I have mainly Ruby Throated Hummers and I notice the females to be much more inquisitive and curious than the males ??? Opinions ???

Juvenile hummers--which generally look a lot like the female--tend to be more inquisitive than adults, but whether adult females are more so than adult males, I don't know

Juvenile hummers--which generally look a lot like the female--tend to be more inquisitive than adults, but whether adult females are more so than adult males, I don't know

Don't juvenile males still have black heads even though they have no color on their gorgot yet or is it more grey which led to your comment ???

Don't juvenile males still have black heads even though they have no color on their gorgot yet or is it more grey which led to your comment ???

I assume since you live in New Jersey that you're mainly talking about Ruby-throated Hummingbirds? I don't see those much where I live, but IIRC young males have spots of red on the throat which young females lack & they can be IDed as such on that basis. But even so, the 2 sexes still look more alike as juveniles (first summer) than they do when older

As far as your original question is concerned, I was just making the point that in my experience young hummers in general--male or female--tend to be more inquisitive than adults. Whether young males are more or less inquisitive than young females I don't know, & ditto for the adults.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back