• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Near Cuernavaca (1 Viewer)

JeffMoh

Going to have a day or so free next week in Cuernavaca. Thought I'd bird the area around La Cima and Tres Marias.

Would mind seeing the Lerma Marshes but can't find them on any map!

Anyone have any suggestions? Anyone been in that area recently?

Jeff
www.jeffincypress.blogspot.com

Jeff,

You shoud try to get hold of a copy of Howell 1999, A Bird-Finding Guide to Mexico.
http://www.amazon.com/Bird-Finding-...=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1281461559&sr=1-3

It covers La Cima, Coajomulco (5km SE of Tres Marias) and Lerma Marshes.

My wife and I birded all three sites in Feb 2004 – all definitely worth a visit.

Also good was Huitzilac (4km SW of Tres Marias): continue 2.7km beyond Huitzilac towards Toluca, and bird the steep track on the left (S) at km7, leading down into the forest (per Wilson & Ceballos-Lascurain 1993, The Birds of Mexico City, 2nd Edition).

Take care at La Cima – there have been violent robberies of birders at the Sierra Madre Sparrow site in recent years. We also birded the track heading W from the road, 1.5km S of La Cima, for Strickland's Woodpecker and Elegant Euphonia (also per Wilson & Ceballos-Lascurain).

Lerma Marshes are SW of Almoloya del Río (c25km SE of Toluca).

[Let me know if you need any more directions, details of species seen etc.]

Good luck.

Richard

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back