• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Khao Lak, Thailand. (2 Viewers)

Deb335077

Sorry for the poor quality of these 2, can anyone help
thanks

Attachments

• 105A6466 Day 5.jpg
    105A6466 Day 5.jpg
    290.7 KB · Views: 29
  • 105A6541 day 5.jpg
    105A6541 day 5.jpg
    283.3 KB · Views: 44
1. Brown Shrike
2. Looks like a Hawk Cuckoo from the undertail pattern. Roughly how large was it? EDIT: Obviously pretty large!

Last edited:
1. Brown Shrike
2. Looks like a Hawk Cuckoo from the undertail pattern. Roughly how large was it? EDIT: Obviously pretty large!

I presume you meant uppertail pattern Andy so yes, clearly a Hawk-cuckoo spp. IMO, but which one? I was rather hedging my bets in plumping for Large solely based on structure-combination of elongated shape and long tail. Malaysian, Hodgson's and Large are all presumably possibilities, but the narrower penultimate dark bar would seem to rule out Malaysian. Perhaps I could have been a tad more cautious and said probable Large HC for the reasons stated.

Grahame

Last edited:
I presume you meant uppertail pattern Andy so yes, clearly a Hawk-cuckoo spp. IMO, but which one? I was rather hedging my bets in plumping for Large solely based on structure-combination of elongated shape and long tail. Malaysian, Hodgson's and Large are all presumably possibilities, but the narrower penultimate dark bar would seem to rule out Malaysian. Perhaps I could have been a tad more cautious and said probable Large HC for the reasons stated.

Grahame

No, I did mean undertail, because for some reason I thought the bird was facing us! Looking more carefully, it's clearly on the near side of the branch and has its back to us. It does look large and small-headed, so you're almost certainly right with LHC.

No, I did mean undertail, because for some reason I thought the bird was facing us! Looking more carefully, it's clearly on the near side of the branch and has its back to us. It does look large and small-headed, so you're almost certainly right with LHC.

Coastal location is also a good pointer.

Grahame

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back