• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nakhon Ratchasima, Thailand- presumed Hirundine in flight. (1 Viewer)

Milkteeth

Thailand
Hi. I was hoping someone might be able to assist with this flyby from Pak Chong, near Khao Yai NP.

These are a few poor frames from a video. Wings suggest (to me) it’s a hirundine rather than a swift. Whiteish rump, pale/whiteish underside. Pretty long tail with a fork.

My best guess from the birds common in the area is Red-rumped Swallow. Failing that, Pacific Swift, though it seems too pale and the wings wrong. Appreciate any help!

EDIT: I’ve added the 3-second video.

Attachments

• IMG_7022.jpeg
    IMG_7022.jpeg
    54.8 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_7014.jpeg
    IMG_7014.jpeg
    76.6 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_7015.jpeg
    IMG_7015.jpeg
    62.8 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_7017.jpeg
    IMG_7017.jpeg
    86.5 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_7016.jpeg
    IMG_7016.jpeg
    87.9 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_6764.mov
    1.2 MB
Last edited:
Thanks, you’re probably right! Actually I’ve just looked back at the video and it’s quite a fluttery flight, which does seem more swifty. I’ll see if I can add it to the post, though it’s very blink-and-miss it.
Suggest a very strongly lit Asian Palm Swift which would highlight the paler underparts and rump while the deeply forked tail and fluttery flight is a perfect fit. ML609733087 - Asian Palm Swift - Macaulay Library

Grahame

Last edited:
Not Pacific swift I don't think - wing shape on that species should be much longer and narrower, and flight pattern fast and swift rather than fluttery. Tail seems too short for house swift, and it does look to have a distinctly white rump which should rule out Asian palm swift.

Khao Yai is much further north than the location I'm most familiar with in that area (Singapore) though. Are there any other swift spp. that might fit the bill?

Not Pacific swift I don't think - wing shape on that species should be much longer and narrower, and flight pattern fast and swift rather than fluttery. Tail seems too short for house swift, and it does look to have a distinctly white rump which should rule out Asian palm swift.

Khao Yai is much further north than the location I'm most familiar with in that area (Singapore) though. Are there any other swift spp. that might fit the bill?
Thanks very much. According to Merlin’s Likely Birds for the area, a couple of needletails (ruled out for lacking forked tail), Germain’s & Himalayan Swiftlets, and House Swift, which as you say has the white rump and is probably a better fit for wing shape, but shorter tail.

Last edited:
While I’m here (perhaps I should just make a new post), might I also ask about these little guys? There were a number of them around, quite high up. I’d initially thought they were Ashy woodswallow, but they show a forked tail and glimpses of white rumps. House Martin?

Attachments

• IMG_7019.jpeg
    IMG_7019.jpeg
    45.1 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_7021.jpeg
    IMG_7021.jpeg
    32 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_7023.jpeg
    IMG_7023.jpeg
    37.8 KB · Views: 17
I think these might all be Red-rumped Swallows, even the apparently larger bird that appears swift-like at times. These are some of the sharpest frames from the clip. In the freeze frame with two birds the lower bird is the "big" one that comes through fast from the upper right but after flying a bit further off they both look pretty much the same. The other frame is probably the sharpest of the lot and shows the deep tail fork best.

Attachments

• tmp2.jpg
    tmp2.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 14
  • tmp1.jpg
    tmp1.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 12
Let me take back the above (whatever the end result of this ID process happens to be):
This doesn't look like Red-rumped Swallow but rather a swift?
It wasn't a very informed comment of mine anyway, and I don't want it to influence the direction of this discussion.

I think these might all be Red-rumped Swallows, even the apparently larger bird that appears swift-like at times. These are some of the sharpest frames from the clip. In the freeze frame with two birds the lower bird is the "big" one that comes through fast from the upper right but after flying a bit further off they both look pretty much the same. The other frame is probably the sharpest of the lot and shows the deep tail fork best.
Thanks a lot for this Brian. I think you might have it.

I’ve attached a couple more frames of the higher birds- both show a hint of a pale underside even in these distant silhouettes, and they definitely share the whiteish rump with the ‘bigger’ bird. The one on the right of the pair (same bird in pic 2) looks to show elongated outer tail feathers.

I’m not familiar with R-R Swallows, but looking at their description on eBird- ‘may resemble house-martins but note deeply forked tail. Typically glides on stiff, flat wings’. Fits my thinking that these might’ve been house martins.

Cheers!

Attachments

• IMG_7176.jpeg
    IMG_7176.jpeg
    318.4 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_7177.jpeg
    IMG_7177.jpeg
    35.5 KB · Views: 10

Users who are viewing this thread

Back