• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hi and New Binoculars (1 Viewer)

Tricky001

Hi folks. I am considering upgrading my binoculars, a pair of Bushnell Elite 10X42 EDs. After reading various posts and allbinos reviews etc I decided on a pair of Zeis Conquests, when I can afford them. Then I saw the Swarovski Habicht 10X40 poros. Now, I appreciate that they are very different, but at the end of the day they are both 10X40 (ish) binoculars. I like the convenience of the modern roof prisms but then there is just something about the traditional poros, and I could happily live with them. Additionally, should I consider the Swarovski Habicht 8X30? I am interested in the pair with the best 'sweet spot' with the sharper/crisper, clearer image. So my question is, when it just comes down to trying to identify that bird through them, which should I go for? Any thoughts and opinions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Hi Tricky and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

I've moved your post to the dedicated binocular forum and subscribed you to the thread so you'll be notified of any responses to it.

I hope you enjoy your time here with us.

Hi folks. I am considering upgrading my binoculars, a pair of Bushnell Elite 10X42 EDs. After reading various posts and allbinos reviews etc I decided on a pair of Zeis Conquests, when I can afford them. Then I saw the Swarovski Habicht 10X40 poros. Now, I appreciate that they are very different, but at the end of the day they are both 10X40 (ish) binoculars. I like the convenience of the modern roof prisms but then there is just something about the traditional poros, and I could happily live with them. Additionally, should I consider the Swarovski Habicht 8X30? I am interested in the pair with the best 'sweet spot' with the sharper/crisper, clearer image. So my question is, when it just comes down to trying to identify that bird through them, which should I go for? Any thoughts and opinions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Hi Tricky,

Welcome to Bird Forum:hi:

What you should do is take your time in deciding which one to get and try them out first before you decide to buy one. The ones you are considering are excellent binoculars but everybody has individual issues with binoculars and trying them out first before you buy one is the best advice you can get.

There are a number of threads about both of the Conquests and the Habichts here which you can read.

For example, some users have not been happy with the allegedly stiff focusing of the Habichts and other users have had problems with glare issues, especially with the 8x30 version. Other people have had problems with the eye cups on the Zeiss Conquests.

Good luck in your quest!:t:

Bob

Also - consider the poor weather implications of the usually non-waterproof porros - i notice you are in Wales.....:storm:

Hi,

first of all, welcome to BF!

regarding your question, you cannot go wrong with a Conquest HD. Very nice optics for the price bracket and a very good all around package. Try them though if you can as the eye relief is too long for some (a rare problem) - Zeiss seems to deliver longer eyecups on request.

If you want a porro, I would rather look at Nikon E2 or used SE which are in my opinion more enjoyable birding bins, despite being not waterproof - the Habichts being the bins with the highes measured transmission and being waterproof - but at the cost of some drawbacks like reflection ad glare issues (very pronounced in the 8x30 examples I tried), a very short eye relief (certainly unusable with glasses) and a not very easy to use focuser.

The E2 will also give a super wide field while the SE was just "the best 10x42 money can buy" back when Steve Ingraham was still running betterviewdesired - nowadays the teutonic alpha brands have had some 25 years to catch up, but it's still up there...

Joachim

If there's a way you can try out the Canon 10x42L IS, you might consider doing that just because they are such a different animal from all other options. Not necessarily better, but different, and for some people the best choice.

I like the convenience of the modern roof prisms but then there is just something about the traditional poros, and I could happily live with them.

Not all porros are created equally. I am very happy with my E2 but would not be happy with a Swaro Habicht. But that has to do with my personal set of optical and ergonomical preferences. You should definitively try before buying.

George

In that price range also consider the new Nikon Monarch HG and the Leica Trinovid HD. I would not consider non-waterproof binoculars at that price.

Tricky 001, post 1,
The Meopta Meopro HD 8x32 certainly is worth try and also its more expensive Meostar B1 8x32 that can stand up against the Leica Ultravid 8x32, but it costs much less.
If you are looking for 42 mm models: there are Meopro's and Meostars also in the 42 mm range. Meopta is one of the largest optical companies in Europe, but it does not advertise a lot.
Gijs van Ginkel

I'd be very interested to hear what you think of the Habicht 10x40's if you manage to try them out. Esp the rubber armoured ones. They look fabulous and have a classic, traditional appeal.

Many thanks

Hi folks.

Thanks for the comments, trying before buying is certainly sound advice. I tried various binoculars at Conwy RSPB reserve and Cambrian Photography in Colwyn Bay and you really do need to try different pairs against each other to see what you think. This way, I finally picked one that wasn't originally on, or even near, my radar - the Swaro CL 8X25, being blown away by the quality for the size. I had never realised the quality of such compact binoculars! Both I and my better half were also very impressed by how well it stood up against the top 8X32s and 42s - including Zeiss Victory HT and SFs, Swaro ELs and Ultravid HD+, for 1/4 to 1/3 of the price. However, she does now want a pair of EL 10X42s. BTW, we both felt that the increased 'shake' with the CL 10X25s offset any increase in image size compared to the 8X25. What really clinched it (apart from the price) was the size for the quality, as being able to put them in a coat pocket when we go for a walk, they should get more use than a bigger pair, which is a factor I hadn't considered until I tried them. Thanks again, everyone.

Hi folks.

However, she does now want a pair of EL 10X42s.

I have had mine for three years now, and they have gotten a lot of use during that time. They are magnificent optics, and I cannot imagine how anyone could be in any way dissatisfied with them.

The voices in my head telling me I should have bought the 10X50s have been quiet for a while, and I keep reminding myself that the 10X42s are quite heavy enough.

The CL are an intriguing little glass. I have never looked through a pair, but they sound delightful.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back