• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best 10x42 between 300-350$? (about 300€)? (1 Viewer)

Pancho85

Hi all,

I'm looking for some 10x42 binoculars (even 10x50) and don't want to spend more than 350$ (400$ if it really worths, but no more!).

I am planning to buy Nikon Monarch 5 10x42, but also have seen another options like Minox BV 10x42 or Vortex Diamondback 10x42, which are cheaper.

I would apreciate your help and advices and other options as well.

Thank you!

I don't think you can really go wrong with the Nikons. If I were looking, though, I'd be tempted to stretch to the Zeiss Terra EDs in 10x42, because I've liked the 8x42s so well.

...Mike

+1 for the Zeiss Terra. I have the 8x to be frank, but the 10x has more apparent field of view and if all else is the same (easy eye placement with no blackouts, big, fast and precise focuser, nice sweet spot, excellent glare control, nice rainguard and nicely tethered objective covers etc), then I would suggest that.

There is a comparison of Monarch 5 ED vs Terra ED http://www.opticsreviewer.com/nikon-vs-zeiss.html
I have the Monarch 7 ED and if I understand right, the Monarch 5 ED lacks some of it's greater advantages, like the small form and light weight, the big field of view and the nice price you can get the 7 nowadays. Terra has a better close focus also. I don't know the glare control of the 5ED but Terra wins the 7 hands down. Color is similar, but in the 7 it starts somewhat further towards the edge, I don't know about the 5.

Here is an interesting one to throw in the mix...the 10x50 Opticron Discovery.

Given the option I always prefer the larger exit pupil of a 10x50 to a 10x42. The only real negatives to 10x50s are their larger physical size and their narrower field of view. This is not the case with the Discovery. It has a 345 foot field of view (115 meters) and is probably the most compact 50 mm I have ever laid my hands on at 5.7 inches. Price is under $300 IIRC.

http://www.eagleoptics.com/binoculars/opticron/opticron-discovery-wp-pc-10x50-binocular

If you look you can find the Bresser Montana ED 8.5x45 at just about the top limit of your budget, shipped from Germany.

In comparison to the MRSP, and other sellers typically 600.00 - 900.00+ euro, this may offer very good value for you if the specifications fitted your use.

The 115m field, larger exit pupil and nice large objective are all quite useful.

I find an 8.5x to be interchangeable with a 10x and perhaps more versatile for certain uses.

Good luck with your choice.

Best wishes,

Barr and Stroud Series 5 ED 42mm looks like a good set, and seems to be within your budget.

By the way, which is the best bino store in Barcelona? Oryx?

Peter.

Last edited:
Hi Pancho:

I have briefly visited your website, really nice! You are a serious birder, so a "rara avis" on the BinF---the simple fact that you don't want to invest more than 300Eur in your bins is a proof of that.....

Cheers, Peter.

I don't know about shipping, taxes, exchanges,and whatnot but Eagle Optics has the Atlas Intrepid ED 10x42 for $359.

I bought one when they were either cheaper or on sale back in the 2010-2011 area. The build quality does not give any warm fuzzy feelings but the fact is that they work quite well and my pair is very sharp.

It is one that I will never get rid of. They are optically good enough to really enjoy myself but cheap enough that I don't blink about taking it to the beach or letting someone borrow it. They are in the trusty tool category rather than the shiny toy category.

I visited the site as well. I don't read Spanish but saw a lot of nice daytime photographs of birds (aquatic mainly). If most of your birding is during daytime and you also carry photo equipment, then consider the Nikon Monarch 7 ED, 8 or 10x30. I carry mine everyday and I am verry happy with them. Many stores have the 8x30 for 250 euros.

Barr and Stroud Series 5 ED 42mm looks like a good set, and seems to be within your budget.

By the way, which is the best bino store in Barcelona? Oryx?

Peter.

Right Peter, Oryx is the best one I know, but also the most expensive store. You can buy binos at Amanoz Spain, saving some money if you compare the price with Oryx. For example, Monarch 5 10x42 at Oryx costs 350€, while on amazon you can buy them for 315€. But depending on the model, the amount of money you can save is bigger.

Hi Pancho:

I have briefly visited your website, really nice! You are a serious birder, so a "rara avis" on the BinF---the simple fact that you don't want to invest more than 300Eur in your bins is a proof of that.....

Cheers, Peter.

Thanks Peter :t:

I visited the site as well. I don't read Spanish but saw a lot of nice daytime photographs of birds (aquatic mainly). If most of your birding is during daytime and you also carry photo equipment, then consider the Nikon Monarch 7 ED, 8 or 10x30. I carry mine everyday and I am verry happy with them. Many stores have the 8x30 for 250 euros.

The thing is that I usually watch birds in dark forrests as well, even during sunset and dawn, so that's why I'm looking for, at least, 10x42. Also I want the 10x because in wetlands or drylands, are really far away, so I want to avoid the 8x.

Thank you all for your advices. I will take a look to all the binoculars you said. ;)

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back