• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upgrade to mid-range price binoculars (2 Viewers)

Hi there,

I'm looking to upgrade my current binoculars. Nowadays, birdwatching is not just a hobby, it is also part of my job.
I have a pair of Solognac Serie 900 10x42. Or 500, I don't even know for sure, the information is worn out... They are 4 or 5 years old and I use them almost every day. No need to say that their optics are not good.

I like compact, lightweight binoculars with an acceptable field of view, but above all with good build quality. My use can be very intensive (5-8 hours a day sometimes) and tough (jumping fences, going through wires and branches).
So far I have narrowed my options down to the following:
  • Nikon Monarch M7 10x42;
  • GPO Passion ED 10x42;
  • Kowa BD II 10x42 XD.

I'm in Portugal and don't have many options to try out myself, so I rely mainly on reviews. There is a lot of information about binoculars out there, but I have some specific questions where I need help:
  1. Nikon build quality. I have read some reviews saying that the rubber/leatherette armour is very poor and disintegrates over time. As I said, my use is intense, I don't want to spend money on some binoculars that will "fall apart".
  2. Kowa chromatic aberration. I know, considering my current binoculars, any of these will be an upgrade. But many people say that these have some problems with CA. Is this a real problem? Or is it just an issue when compared to some top of the range binoculars?
I do not have any specific questions about the GPO, but they are heavier and have a narrower field of view compared to the Kowa and the Nikon.

I'm in the mid-range (around 450-600€) because I need a "beater"... But I can consider some Zeiss Conquest HD, for example, or even some Nikon HG (if I find any promotions).
The Conquest are probably the best choice. But I have to say, even if this is very subjective, I think they are ugly. It's the shape of the barrels and the eye cups, I honestly can't explain it...
There are some other binoculars from other brands, such as DDoptics and Kite, but I cannot find enough information about them.

Can I have your opinion?
Thank you very much.

In general, expensive is more durable. I'm not convinced buying something cheap to beat up isn’t self-defeating.

Your money, your choice.

I‘d be curious about your “intense” use of binoculars. Could you expand a bit?

how about these
I will take a look. Thank you very much.

In general, expensive is more durable. I'm not convinced buying something cheap to beat up isn’t self-defeating.
You are probably right. It is a matter of consideration.

I‘d be curious about your “intense” use of binoculars. Could you expand a bit?
Well, maybe 'intense' is just my lack of vocabulary.
But I always carry it with me, even when I'm not looking for birds. They bounce around in my car and in my bag. When in use, they are exposed to dust, rain, high temperatures and the risk of being scratched or dropped... And when I say I use them for hours every day, I mean it.
Maybe this is just normal use, but my "fear" is to damage the glass and then on the other side is a 1000€ binocular....

I will take a look. Thank you very much.

You are probably right. It is a matter of consideration.

Well, maybe 'intense' is just my lack of vocabulary.
But I always carry it with me, even when I'm not looking for birds. They bounce around in my car and in my bag. When in use, they are exposed to dust, rain, high temperatures and the risk of being scratched or dropped... And when I say I use them for hours every day, I mean it.
Maybe this is just normal use, but my "fear" is to damage the glass and then on the other side is a 1000€ binocular....
I can certainly understand your apprehension.

The only problem is that you end up with something which is "too expensive to use."

I truly do not know how to balance that equation, but I wish you luck in your quest.

The only problem is that you end up with something which is "too expensive to use."
Yes. Even though I diverted the conversation with the mention of Zeiss, that's why I'm more focused on binoculars like these: Nikon Monarch M7 10x42; GPO Passion ED 10x42 and Kowa BD II 10x42 XD.
Thank you.

To redirect this thread.
Are there better options than those mentioned? Do these questions make sense?
  1. Nikon build quality. I have read some reviews saying that the rubber/leatherette armour is very poor and disintegrates over time. As I said, my use is intense, I don't want to spend money on some binoculars that will "fall apart".
  2. Kowa chromatic aberration. I know, considering my current binoculars, any of these will be an upgrade. But many people say that these have some problems with CA. Is this a real problem? Or is it just an issue when compared to some top of the range binoculars?

Conquest ..... awesome build... you need 'a beater'... so don't worry about the looks... and optically they are superb.
Or... second hand Leica BN's... if you want quality... well they have earned their reputation as 'bombers'.... optically amazing, and not too far off a new Ultravid.
Yours for £500 to £600
Ace optics in Bath, England have a few second hand Conquests in your price range, and they are an honest and decent retailer.

Conquest ..... awesome build... you need 'a beater'... so don't worry about the looks... and optically they are superb.
Or... second hand Leica BN's... if you want quality... well they have earned their reputation as 'bombers'.... optically amazing, and not too far off a new Ultravid.
Yours for £500 to £600
Ace optics in Bath, England have a few second hand Conquests in your price range, and they are an honest and decent retailer.
Wow, good comment. I have to seriously consider buying second hand.
Thank you very much.

Yours for £500 to £600
Conquest also happens to have particularly thick spongy protective armour, if risk of knocks is high.

No used 10x42 Conquests at Ace, just a 10x32. I've handled/tested both the 8x32's in stock there, but not the 10x32.

Of course, if the OP took the Leica route, any servicing or warranty claims would be undertaken in his home country, which reduces the hassle and time spent without the binoculars.

I own the Nikon Monarch 10x42 and they are excellent binoculars in every respect. Easy to check reviews by owners of binoculars on bhphotovideo.com and get a far more complete picture of any issues. Important to also look at recent reviews as sometimes a product had a problem 5 years ago but the manufacturer has corrected the problem with newer production.

I have no hesitation in recommending Nikon and Vortex binoculars in the $400 to $1000 price range and own 5 of them at this time.

Another vote for the Conquest HD, both in 42 or 32 mm (I prefer the 32, due to less size/weight and wider FOV). Not only because they are rugged and resistant, but also because they have something I consider of outmost importance in a pair of binoculars you are going to use a lot for many years: warranty and repairability. If your Nikon M7 develop any serious issue, there's little chance you could repair them... but with something like a Zeiss, Swarovski, Leica... or Meopta you are covered, which I think is important given that you mention it is a work related activity. In fact, I would seriously consider a 2nd hand unit from any of the above paying special attention about warranty and paperwork. I recently sold a Meopta B1 to a forum member, this binoculars had a 30 year warranty (something which is less and less frequent), so even if the binoculars were 10 years old, they still have 20 years of warranty.

If you are considering models like a Conquest HD, Trinovid and similar, my personal advice is not to get too focused on the minute differences on optical performance between those models, they are all good, more than enough and a huge jump from your Decathlon binos... but my advice is to pay attention and try getting a unit with as longer a warranty as possible from a brand that has a proven record of honouring their warranty and repairing. Or else, you can get a Vortex Viper HD (or a Razor if you can find one on the 2nd hand market, I've seen them going for 600-700 € sometimes), and you know that Vortex will replace them if something goes wrong, which is reassuring (they are more likely to replace than repair... in fact, if you get a problem in 5 years time, you might get lucky and get a brand new model from the next generation, since the current was launched in 2018). The Viper HD are very nice binoculars, and I don't think they're worse than the M7/GPO/Kowa you mentioned. In fact, if toughness/resistance/repairability and having your back covered is an important part of the decision (which it seems it is) I don't think I would get any of those, but I'd focus on the ideas I explained above: a 2nd hand Conquest, Trinovid, Meostar B1 with papers/warranty. I hope this helps :)

Trinovid for Leica build. Nothing falls apart, falls off,...
Still mid-range but higher than the $1k baseline, I doubt you could do better than 8x40SFL in overall terms. Not as much history/track-record but mine look to be built to Zeiss standards (good).

Another possibility, mostly for the great build quality, would be something Zeiss FL or Leica BN/BA?

Not only because they are rugged and resistant, but also because they have something I consider of outmost importance in a pair of binoculars you are going to use a lot for many years: warranty and repairability.
I don't think I would get any of those, but I'd focus on the ideas I explained above: a 2nd hand Conquest, Trinovid, Meostar B1 with papers/warranty.
Yes, this thread is already worth it!
I'm going for it, not only for the optical quality, but especially for the build quality and warranty. I will check the prices and oportunities in this tipe of binoculars, second hand and new. Even if I have to wait a little longer...
Grateful.

Trinovid for Leica build. Nothing falls apart, falls off,...
And they look good! :)

I'm leaning towards the Conquest HD, but I've seen some comparisons (in BF) with the Opticron Aurora and they seem to do well too... They are not Leica or Zeiss, but they have a 30 year warranty, are they a good option?

Yes, this thread is already worth it!
I'm going for it, not only for the optical quality, but especially for the build quality and warranty. I will check the prices and oportunities in this tipe of binoculars, second hand and new. Even if I have to wait a little longer...
Grateful.

And they look good! :)

I'm leaning towards the Conquest HD, but I've seen some comparisons (in BF) with the Opticron Aurora and they seem to do well too... They are not Leica or Zeiss, but they have a 30 year warranty, are they a good option?
Opticron have fantastic customer service (y)

The Conquest are probably the best choice. But I have to say, even if this is very subjective, I think they are ugly. It's the shape of the barrels and the eye cups, I honestly can't explain it...
Have you actually tried one? I think they look better in reallife than on pictures. The 10x42 has a very nice fov and are bright.
The Trinovid 10x42 is better looking. That's right. If I have to choose one have them, I don't know which one it would be. Maybe the Conquest, because optically they are just a bit better and that is what counts the most.

Have you actually tried one?
No, I have never tried one.
The look is sometimes important, but after all the input I am looking for a good long term choice. I will not consider the appearance of the binoculars.
And the more I know, the more I like the Zeiss.

But I'm also looking at competing products, which is why I mentioned the Opticron Aurora.

Just picked up some second hand conquests. The very initial views are very nice and sharp (I normally use a Nikon 8x30E2). Will do more detailed comparisons when I get some time.
The eyecups as mentioned are a bit nasty to raise/lower, but they work and stay put. They will unscrew, so could be swapped if the mechanism failed. Fully up I have no blackouts (not a glasses wearer).The focusser is very fast and very smooth.
Good to know that spending lots more won’t gain me much and that these have a reputation for robustness… no longer worried about babying the Nikon or wet/cold weather giving me internal fogging.

Peter

Users who are viewing this thread

Back