• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Strange Chiffchaff (NE Italy) (1 Viewer)

Hippolais

Luca Boscain
A friend of mine took a picture of this very bright Chiffchaff, that look like a young Willow Warbler: could it be an Iberian one??

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 192
To be honest I'm not absolutely sure I could exclude Willow Warbler on this photo alone! The supercilium is very strong not only in front of the eye, but also behind it which seems more suggestive of Willow to me. Colour above looks good too and leg colour this dark is within the possibilities for Willow. However, the cheeks look better for Chiffchaff and my gut feeling is that it's a very brightly marked Chiffchaff rather than a very lost Willow Warbler. In this context an Iberian Chiffchaff must be 'in the frame' but wthout voice description I don't think plumage alone will prove conclusive,

Other pictures of the same bird... I've no any information about it calls...

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 107
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 82
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    272 KB · Views: 63
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    223.6 KB · Views: 56
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    274.4 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
Hard to be sure but the pprojection appears to be fairly short, not WW like. The colour on breast, flanks, utcs, eyebrow, cheeks and possibly the upperparts looks about right for Iberian to me. Very interesting bird.

The angle doesn't make it easy to judge wing length at all accurately, but it does look short for Willow Warbler. Interestingly the legs look a lot blacker too. Taken within the range of Iberian it'd be hard to say it wasn't one, but I don't think this is going anywhere without calls,

The bird looks very good in many ways for Ib. Chiffchaff (not least general colouration) and there lies the problem - they are even tougher from the front.

As an aside - the very first returning Iberian Chiffchaffs should be in song here in southern Portugal in the next week or so. The earliest recorded is the 11th Feb and the only verified winter record was one on 4th Jan 2006.

If it is one I would have imagined it would have been singing or calling frequently.

We tried to find again the bird and the brightest one was this photographed by 3 different people. But I'm not sure that it's the same bird of before... this looks with a yellower supercilium and has a different "face": could it due only to a different position?
Anyway, it came close when I used the playback with the song of Iberian... just a coincidence?

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 46
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 51
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Other pics... the bird has a call not typical for an Iberian Chiffchaff, but also not typical for a Common Chiffchaff ssp. collybita...

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 35
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 34
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    190.9 KB · Views: 40
I don't suppose that you have a recording? Its certainly an interesting bird. If I saw that in the UK in spring I'd be hoping that it would sing.

The bill does look long and spikey, the supers bridge, the PPs look long but perhaps not enough). I wonder if any of those photos are sharp enough to be able to get anything useful in terms of wing formula.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back