• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Another Algarve warbler (1 Viewer)

ndsutcliffe

SkyBlue136
Tidying up photos from the last visit. These were taken on 13th September at Boca do Rio. Lots of Willow Warblers there, so I think I just passed over these, but on reflection the legs look darker, so thinking Chiffchaff. But they don't appear here that early, so maybe Iberian Chiffchaff? The bright supercilium in front of the eye is supportive. Views welcome.

IMG_4187.JPGIMG_4190.JPGIMG_4191.JPG

Hello,

Not a confident answer, but:
can an Iberian Chiffchaff look so good like a Willow Warbler. Despite darkish legs, I wouldn't hesitate to ID your bird as a Willow Warbler in Germany:
  • the right head pattern with pale ear coverts contrasting to a broad eye-stripe
  • strong, vaguely triangular bill with evident orange base
  • Uniform yellow underparts with a very good hue for a 1cy WW
  • strong legs,and can I detect some orange shine on the feet?
Yes, pp seems on the short side for a WW, but still easy within variation.
I have seen only a few Iberian Chiffchaffs before and although they looked similar to WW at first (hard birds, is it a WW or a Chiffchaff? Oh, it's a Chiffchaff), but if forced I would opt for a Willow Warbler here.

But you know: I hope for more comments as always. Thanks!

Hello,

Not a confident answer, but:
can an Iberian Chiffchaff look so good like a Willow Warbler. Despite darkish legs, I wouldn't hesitate to ID your bird as a Willow Warbler in Germany:
  • the right head pattern with pale ear coverts contrasting to a broad eye-stripe
  • strong, vaguely triangular bill with evident orange base
  • Uniform yellow underparts with a very good hue for a 1cy WW
  • strong legs,and can I detect some orange shine on the feet?
Yes, pp seems on the short side for a WW, but still easy within variation.
I have seen only a few Iberian Chiffchaffs before and although they looked similar to WW at first (hard birds, is it a WW or a Chiffchaff? Oh, it's a Chiffchaff), but if forced I would opt for a Willow Warbler here.

But you know: I hope for more comments as always. Thanks!
Thanks Alexander, in the field I thought Willow Warbler - I think you're right - not enough to convince otherwise. Will go with WW 👍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back