• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Denver CBC-Greater White-fronted Goose and Coyote (1 Viewer)

cwbirder

United States
Today is the Christmas Bird Count in Denver, Colorado, United States. I have been scouting the lake that I was counting for the past few days. Yesterday (13 December), I found a Greater White-fronted Goose. This species is a rare wintering bird in the area and, according to the count compiler, has been recorded on less than a third of Denver CBCs since 1954.

This morning, which is the count day, we were unable to relocate the goose, but I decided to check back this afternoon. I was able to find it! In an interesting turn of events, there was also a coyote that seemed interested in the geese at the same time, but I suppose it was watching them for a different reason. After 10 minutes or so, the geese finally got spooked enough by the coyote, and all ~550 of them took off at once. It was quite the sight.

Attached are the following photos:
Greater White-fronted Goose from 13 December (day before count)-one photo
Greater White-fronted Goose from today (count day)-two photos
Coyote with geese-two photos

All photos have been cropped so that they would fit the file size requirements of BirdForum.

Attachments

• Goose-13 Dec.JPG
    Goose-13 Dec.JPG
    77.5 KB · Views: 51
  • Goose-14 Dec-1.JPG
    Goose-14 Dec-1.JPG
    58.7 KB · Views: 45
  • Goose-14 Dec-2.JPG
    Goose-14 Dec-2.JPG
    60.3 KB · Views: 46
  • Coyote 1.jpg
    Coyote 1.jpg
    472 KB · Views: 57
  • Coyote 2.jpg
    Coyote 2.jpg
    372.5 KB · Views: 55
I think the coyote was probably fine. We have a healthy population of coyotes in the area, and this park is fairly close to a greenbelt that they use to travel around. It is more normal to see them at dawn/dusk, but not that unusual to see them during the day. With all the habitat interspersed with roads in the Denver area, it is also not unusual for them to ignore cars.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back