• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which bins? (1 Viewer)

firefox32

Hi.

Can someone advise me on what the best pair of birding binoculars I would be able to buy for between £300 and £400?

Many thanks.
Fox.

Do you want new or secondhand? You'll get more for your money secondhand.

As you live in Norfolk, try some out at CleySpy in Glandford. They have more bins than you can look through in a day! Both new and used.
Tell them how much you want to spend and they'll show you what they have. You can take them outside to test them out side by side.

Try some of the cheaper ones too. Sometimes you can find what you want with out spending as much as you think you might. My Dad tried about a dozen bins up to £300 in price and decided on a £120 pair in the end.

Thanks.
Do you want new or secondhand? You'll get more for your money secondhand.

As you live in Norfolk, try some out at CleySpy in Glandford. They have more bins than you can look through in a day! Both new and used.
Tell them how much you want to spend and they'll show you what they have. You can take them outside to test them out side by side.

Try some of the cheaper ones too. Sometimes you can find what you want with out spending as much as you think you might. My Dad tried about a dozen bins up to £300 in price and decided on a £120 pair in the end.

Hello Firefox32,

Martin gives excellent advice. I think that the Nikon 8x30 EII is just within your price range. It is not waterproof and it may be a little delicate but many bird watchers like the view but you did not specify what kind of use the binocular would have to endure. Certainly, take advantage of a shop which offers a wide selection. as the choice is rather personal.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :hi:

Opticron BGA SE 8x42s are very good for around £350. A bit narrow fov though. I had a pair and liked the view but I couldn't get on with the eyecups. Too big for my eye sockets.
It's that sort of thing that mean you really have to try before you buy. It's as much about how they fit your face and hands and how much weight your neck can carry in comfort as it is about the view through them.
My current favourite is Bushnell Legend 8x42 porros. They are cheap (but their view is really good for the price) and very heavy and large but the eye-relief is the best I've ever found to fit my eyes with or without my glasses on. They fit my eyes really well.

Don't rush into anything. The only optics I've ever regretted buying are the ones I rushed into.

Happy hunting. Hope you find what you want soon.
Martin

Yes I also recommend a visit to Cley Spy especially as you live in the area. I always used to get a free cup of tea whenever I went but they are now so busy it just doesn't happen any more. They are a good firm to deal with.

I can really recommend Cleyspy too. They are offer very good service and friendly so I do almost all my purchases there. And I am a swede!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back