• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Broke college student looking for binocular recommendations ( less than £100) UK (1 Viewer)

ButchP

United Kingdom
Hi,

Im a broke college student studying conservation. I really want some good quality binoculars to help me take surveys and improve on ID but buying seems very daunting for someone who knows practically nothing about them.

Im looking for something less than £100 and something I could maybe buy second hand too? Even good brands would help.

Any help? (sorry you probably get this question often lol)

Welcome to Birdforum. I hope you enjoy your visits.

Hopefully someone will be able to help.

Try your very hardest to find a local binocular shop. You will be able to make sure that they fit your hands and face - very important.
If you live near an RSPB reserve you will be able to get unbiased information about their own brand binoculars and no pushy sales. You will almost certainly be able to take a step out of the shop area (accompanied of course) for a decent view of the reserve

I volunteer for the RSPB in Cheshire
Puffin binoculars are good value for money but they are not fully waterproof but they’re £85

RSPB Avocet binoculars are waterproof and nitrogen filled BUT 8x42 are £150

Last edited:
Butch,

For 100 Sterling, I recommend you look at buying new. Lower priced bins often go on sale new/open box for 1/2 or even less than the original MSRP. Buying "used" at this price point can be dodgy. Belay the used option until after you have some field experience with your first bin and are able/inclined to upgrade. Unless you have a reasonable opportunity to test several candidates in person, as others recommend, buy from a vendor with a good return policy. Many good optics merchants in the UK of course. If you haven't, take a look at the Opticron website. I have several and IME they reliably offer good value for the money and have a number of lower priced bins usually including practical straps, lens covers and cases, which lowers the cost of getting started. Northern Optics (UK) has a an informative enjoyable YouTube channel and stocks a number of bins in your range.

No affiliation with any retailer or manufacturers . Good luck with the Quest.

Mike

Hi Butch,

Welcome to the forum, hopefully you will find it useful.

I think Phillipp's suggestion is a good one for starters, here are two new options from Opticron, which is a good company providing good value for money kit:

As you are on a tight budget, I'd strongly recommend a used bit of kit from a reputable dealer/supplier which will give you better value for money. Here are some really good options:
Bushnell Natureview 8x42 (well under budget!)
Opticron Savannah 6x30 (low power but good optics and solid build quality)
RSPB 8x32 WPG (ideal compact mid size with good optics, and were about £250ish new)
Minox 10x42 (full size and quite good value)
Hilkinson 8 X 36 (ED glass and mid size - good combination!)
Opticron Discovery Wp PC 8X42 (full size and good value)

If you could stretch your budget a tiny bit, these Opticron DBA 10x42 would probably be the best option: they were Opticron's highest spec model about 15 years ago, and have very good optics and a 30 year guarantee should anything go wrong.

Going new, this Nikon with a 10 year warranty, wide field and focusing clockwise to infinity is worth a look.
I've had a look through and the optics are decent, my sample had a smooth focuser and good close focus.
Available at £99 from Jessops and maybe else where.

Try your very hardest to find a local binocular shop. You will be able to make sure that they fit your hands and face - very important.
If you live near an RSPB reserve you will be able to get unbiased information about their own brand binoculars and no pushy sales. You will almost certainly be able to take a step out of the shop area (accompanied of course) for a decent view of the reserve

I volunteer for the RSPB in Cheshire
Puffin binoculars are good value for money but they are not fully waterproof but they’re £85

RSPB Avocet binoculars are waterproof and nitrogen filled BUT 8x42 are £150
Hi!

Thank you so much for your advice, this was really helpful since there was one nearby that helped me loads.
Ended up buying ESKER BG-1 8X42 since they felt the best to me. Hope I picked well!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back