• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A question about Great Crested Grebes (1 Viewer)

Peewit

Once a bird lover ... always a bird lover
Hi there

I visited Egleton, Rutland Water yesterday during the day

I noted that there are a good number of Great Crested Grebes at the moment. Some are doing their 'beautiful' mating dance with one another, and that is understandable at this time of year.

What I found odd was that a group of 24 GCG's sat in a group, on the water, close to one another. They preened themselves, or sleeping with their heads back on their shoulders. Why do they do this?.

Why at this time of year GCG's are in a pack, when they should be pairing off with one another

Can somone explain why this is the case?

Regards
Kathy
x

Hi Kathy

I don't think the switch-over from winter to spring behaviour (to put it crudely) happens on a certain day with a bang. Courtship etc can be noticed to begin fairly gradually, and increase as spring comes on. March of course is THE month for this in GCGs: once paired, they will leave the communal area and set up their own territory (on the reservoir I used to watch in Somerset, this meant they left completely).

Hi Kathy

I don't think the switch-over from winter to spring behaviour (to put it crudely) happens on a certain day with a bang. Courtship etc can be noticed to begin fairly gradually, and increase as spring comes on. March of course is THE month for this in GCGs: once paired, they will leave the communal area and set up their own territory (on the reservoir I used to watch in Somerset, this meant they left completely).

Thank you Dave for your explanation

The two photos presented here show the group which was spread around a large area. Every so often a couple of Grebes would do their 'ritual' mating dance with one another.

Interesting that they have to leave the whole area once paired up. Must be quite a battle for them to get a good nest site for themselves

Regards
Kathy
x

Attachments

• 629.JPG
    629.JPG
    132.6 KB · Views: 44
  • 625.JPG
    625.JPG
    134.2 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
On The Fleet at Abbotsbury Great Crested Grebes do not nest (no emergent vegetation for them to anchor their nests and slightly brackish water) but up to thirty plus occur all year round so presumably the birds present in the spring are last years young that don't necessarily breed in their first year?

Steve.

In much of north and north-east Europe, Great Crested Grebes are purely summer visitors, all watercourses vanishing under half a metre of ice or more for the winter. Even though this winter was very mild this winter, most waters are still frozen and relatively few of the many breeding Great Crested Grebes are back on breeding grounds. Frequently, no Great Crested Grebes will be back in this area by middle of March, so perhaps these are late departers.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back