• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Words can't describe how I'm feeling... (1 Viewer)

songbird6666

Apologies in advance for this is going to be a long post. I'll start at the beginning. Two weekends ago, I was outside the front cleaning my car, and I kept hearing a pop-pop noise. Eventually went to investigate in the back garden and saw that the boy who lives in the house behind was with his mates, firing air rifles. This in turn was terrifying my two chickens, and the birds in my aviary (which I don't mention on here for obvious reasons) After expressing my concerns about them firing at birds, I was informed by one of them, no we are firing at the box thing on the telegraph pole (in my garden, and behind which I am almost sure a blue tit is nesting) I said that I had recently found two birds which looked like they had been shot and said if I found out that they had, I would report it. About an hour later I see they are still there, and this time I pleaded with them, please, please don't do it, you may hit my chickens. To which the neighbours son says, sorry, I didn't think of that. Slight relief on my part, no more worries.

About 11 am this morning, I heard my cockerel screaming and ran outside to find a rook flailing around in the small fenced off piece of my back garden, wing dangling and blood pouring. PIcked him up, put him in a box, phoned vets, yes bring him down, we are here until 12. Covered in blood, start to carry box out of back garden. At the base of the telegraph pole I see a little black shape - it is the male blackbird, who I had been thrilled watching collecting worms and flying off with a beakful to where I think they are nesting (in another neighbours garden) only yesterday. The pair are tame, and will almost come to hand when I go out with sultanas. This is the second year for them. He was stone dead, blood oozing from a small round wound in his chest.

The vet had to put the rook to sleep, it's wing was shattered. She cut up the blackbird looking for the pellet, but also found an exit wound. She is 99% certain it was a shot which killed it.

I am angry, no livid best describes it, but I have no proof whatsoever who has done this, only guessing. The vet has advised me of my best course, not to go threatening and ranting, which is wise I guess, they can do me a lot of harm, that's the trouble when you have birds of your own. They could come round and kill all of them. As it is, my two chickens are now in their house, and terrified to come out.

I know the law re airguns and that what "they" have done is illegal in that firing a gun in someone else's garden is not allowed, but I can't afford to do much for fear of revenge. I have been round and very tactfully and politely explained what has happened to the mum (dad is out working) and that I can't accuse anyone, she was fine about it, and I asked if she could have a word with the boys, because I was afraid that I would be shot next when I am filling my feeders up (vet thought it best to phrase it that way) I guess if I have any more trouble though, I shall contact the police, a step I am afraid to take, although when it happened I was going to go straight round the station after the vets.

I keep thinking of that poor female blackbird, I expect she is frantic by now, and it means she will probably abandon her nest, I only hope its still at the egg stage and not chicks for her sake.

It has completely spoiled my day, I was about to go out when this happened. Now I don't even want any lunch. Now I have to bury them.

Thanks for reading. :C

Last edited:
songbird said:
Apologies in advance for this is going to be a long post. I'll start at the beginning. Two weekends ago, I was outside the front cleaning my car, and I kept hearing a pop-pop noise. Eventually went to investigate in the back garden and saw that the boy who lives in the house behind was with his mates, firing air rifles. This in turn was terrifying my two chickens, and the birds in my aviary (which I don't mention on here for obvious reasons) After expressing my concerns about them firing at birds, I was informed by one of them, no we are firing at the box thing on the telegraph pole (in my garden, and behind which I am almost sure a blue tit is nesting) I said that I had recently found two birds which looked like they had been shot and said if I found out that they had, I would report it. About an hour later I see they are still there, and this time I pleaded with them, please, please don't do it, you may hit my chickens. To which the neighbours son says, sorry, I didn't think of that. Slight relief on my part, no more worries.

About 11 am this morning, I heard my cockerel screaming and ran outside to find a rook flailing around in the small fenced off piece of my back garden, wing dangling and blood pouring. PIcked him up, put him in a box, phoned vets, yes bring him down, we are here until 12. Covered in blood, start to carry box out of back garden. At the base of the telegraph pole I see a little black shape - it is the male blackbird, who I had been thrilled watching collecting worms and flying off with a beakful to where I think they are nesting (in another neighbours garden) only yesterday. The pair are tame, and will almost come to hand when I go out with sultanas. This is the second year for them. He was stone dead, blood oozing from a small round wound in his chest.

The vet had to put the rook to sleep, it's wing was shattered. She cut up the blackbird looking for the pellet, but also found an exit wound. She is 99% certain it was a shot which killed it.

I am angry, no livid best describes it, but I have no proof whatsoever who has done this, only guessing. The vet has advised me of my best course, not to go threatening and ranting, which is wise I guess, they can do me a lot of harm, that's the trouble when you have birds of your own. They could come round and kill all of them. As it is, my two chickens are now in their house, and terrified to come out.

I know the law re airguns and that what "they" have done is illegal in that firing a gun in someone else's garden is not allowed, but I can't afford to do much for fear of revenge. I have been round and very tactfully and politely explained what has happened to the mum (dad is out working) and that I can't accuse anyone, she was fine about it, and I asked if she could have a word with the boys, because I was afraid that I would be shot next when I am filling my feeders up (vet thought it best to phrase it that way) I guess if I have any more trouble though, I shall contact the police, a step I am afraid to take, although when it happened I was going to go straight round the station after the vets.

I keep thinking of that poor female blackbird, I expect she is frantic by now, and it means she will probably abandon her nest, I only hope its still at the egg stage and not chicks for her sake.

It has completely spoiled my day, I was about to go out when this happened. Now I don't even want any lunch. Now I have to bury them.

Thanks for reading. :C

There are no words of comfort that I can offer - only my very sincere sympathy for your horrendous experience. Sadly, too many folks today take a pleasure in harming animals and birds. The fact that they have upset you, will give these louts an added 'kick'.
It is always difficult to contain anger. Last year our local louts broke into our aviary (in broad daylight and knowing we were at home) and all our birds got out. Although we know who did it, we did not confront them, but every time they pass, we just glare at them and thankfully we have had no bother since.
I do hope that the rest of the breeding season passes without further distressing incidents for you. It is such a bitter-sweet time. We love to watch the birds but worry so much for them.

Peckey
http://www.furandfeathers.co.uk

Songbird if they are shooting at and killing wildbirds in my opinion they are probably breaking the wildlife and countryside act 1981 which states :-

All birds, their nests and eggs are protected by law and it is thus an offence, with certain exceptions (see below) intentionally to:

* Kill, injure or take any wild bird.
* Take, damage or destroy the nest of any wild bird while it is in use or being built. (see time for cutting hedges)
* Take or destroy the egg of any wild bird.
* Have in one's possession or control any wild bird (dead or alive) or any part of a wild bird which has been taken in contravention of the Act or the Protection of Birds Act 1954.
* Have in one's possession or control any egg or part of an egg which has been taken in contravention to the Act. This includes items taken or killed before the passing of the Act.
* Have in one's possession or control any live bird of prey of any species in the world (with the exception of vultures and condors) unless it is registered and ringed in accordance with the Secretary of State's regulations.
* Have in one's possession or control any bird of a species occurring on Schedule 4 of the Act unless registered (and in some cases ringed) in accordance with the Secretary of State's regulations.
* Disturb any wild bird listed on Schedule 1 while it is nest building, or at a nest containing eggs or young, or disturb the dependent young of such a bird.

You therefore have every right to report this action to the police and hopefully a policeman turning up on their doorstep and reading them the riot act will be enough to deter these youngsters from shooting again ( hopefully the parents will take the guns away as well )

Breaks my heart to read this.. I am
very sorry this happened to you.

What on earth is wrong with people
anyway?

Take care with whatever
procedure you are going to take.

Egret

Oh, that makes me livid! I think I would have taken the bird bodies and put them on that brat's porch. I'm pretty sure Mummy and Daddy would have done something about it then! Grrr. That brat is just going to keep doing it if you don't say anything. If he gets away with it the first time, he'll do it again. BTW: if the kid can hit your chicken and a wild bird, chances are he's been practicing on some other living things.

I guess if I have any more trouble though, I shall contact the police, a step I am afraid to take, although when it happened I was going to go straight round the station after the vets.

can understand your hesitance but they're breaking the law in many ways, kill/injuring wild birds, firing outside the boundary of their property for a start.

do you know how old they are?

if asking them to stop didn't work reporting them to the police is the only way to stop this sort of thing happening.

Okay everyone, I now have concrete evidence. I went out in the back with my metal detector to see if I could find a pellet. No luck. But I checked exactly where the blackbird was laying dead, there is still some blood, right at the foot of the telegraph pole in my garden. Sure enough, there was the pellet, embedded into the pole about 3 inches off the ground. It's a .177 pellet. From the angle that it hit the post, there is only one place that the shot could have been fired from - the garden of the boy (or my own garden up by the fence. They must have stood on the wall to shoot over the top of my greenhouse to get there, or failing that, as I said, from the bedroom window. There can be no other place. I don't think therefore I am prepared to forget this now - what is going to be next? My chickens? Or maybe they were aiming at them anyway, that's why they are so scared. I am still very shaky, it's not only the destruction of these two birds (and indeed others before them, maybe more if they are shooting at them in the trees, they could be falling into the field and I wouldn't know) it's the thought of what may/will happen if I don't turn a blind eye ( and that could be literally too, without making a joke of it, last thing I feel like doing) It could mean that I will have to move from here.

The boy in question is about 16 or 17 I think, I guess his "friends" are about the same, I didn't really take a lot of notice of them the other weekend to be honest, just glaring through the slats on the back fence.

His mum was okay, I have always got on with them well, the dad has even looked after my chickens and birds for me a couple of times when I went away for a weekend a couple of years ago. She just said, okay she would have a word with them. I don't know, she was neither hostile nor friendly or apologetic, hard to put an exact feeling on it.

the situation with Air Rifles is ridiculous (I own several myself) they need to be treated the same as all other fire arms, you shouldn't be able to own one without a fire arms license afaic.

you really should contact the police, every year kids of that age are seriously hurt & killed messing about with air rifles.

in March a 2 yr old boy died after being hit in the head by an air pellet, the culprit was shooting at firefighters at the time.....

http://www.gun-control-network.org/CO16.htm

they need to learn those things aren't toys before it's too late.

Last edited:
helenol said:
What have the brats parents said about this?

It wouldn't surprise me if the parents bought the guns!!!
Songbird, if the Blackbird had chicks and they die, could you take them to your neighbours, maybe just maybe that might shame them.

Mick

Hi Songbird

Real sorry to here about your ordeal. I think you have done really well to keep your thinking hat on regarding this sensitive issue as it would be easy to fly off the handle.

Your obvious fear of reprisals has not gone unheard as this is something that only you can deal with as only you know whats best for you.

If you are to frieghtened to go to police to make a "formal" complaint then it may be a good idea to make a visit to your local station and have them put these series of events on record as if anything more (and I hope it will not) happens then a strong case and picture can be built up.

Only a suggestion of course...any family or friends that could help you with this?

songbird, I am very sorry to hear of this. There have been cases like this over here in the states and statistics show that kids that start killing animals go on to violent crimes against people. I would not have been able to restrain myself against approaching those little punks! If the parents do not immediately take away the rifle for good, then there is the root of the problem. I hope this situation clears up for you.

|8(|

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back