• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Case/Tripod ED50 (1 Viewer)

Would like to know peoples thoughts on cases for the ed50.Planning to travel abroad so I will need a suitable tripod ,any recommendations would be welcome.

Would like to know peoples thoughts on cases for the ed50.Planning to travel abroad so I will need a suitable tripod ,any recommendations would be welcome.

I use a Bushwacker flip open lens cap on mine (quick to use, and adds rubber bumper around the objective end), wrap the whole thing in McNett gun wrap (adds scratch resistance and some cushioning, plus makes it less slippery), and pop it into a neoprene scope pouch from Op/Tech when it's packed away. For tripod, I use a Velbon Ultra Luxi with a Really Right Stuff b-25 ball head (very light weight, extremely compact, extremely fast to set up, very tall if needed, sturdy when set to less than max height).

--AP

Alexis, Is that Bushwacker number 43? I think Looksharp wrapped his ED 50 in that white sort of foamy wrap first and then the McNett gun wrap for extra protection.

I wrapped my ED50 in self-adhesive foam insulation (from a poundshop) and then covered it in black duct tape for ordinary birding use. Mostly waterproof-ish, looks nice and tatty too! But gives added protection/bounce.

Have always carried it as is, either in the cheapo soft case provided when I bought it or in a carrier bag within my hand luggage when flying abroad.

I use a SLIK PRO 724CF tripod with a SLIK SH-704E pan and tilt head with my ED50. Very light and compact set-up that I am entirely pleased with thus far. I can recommend Park Cameras as a supplier.

I bought my scope from a BF Member and it came with a Cley Spy case. Also a good piece of kit.

Cheers

One consideration you might want to consider before you buy is whether in a collapsed form the tripod you opt for will fit into carry on hand luggage

One consideration you might want to consider before you buy is whether in a collapsed form the tripod you opt for will fit into carry on hand luggage

I would like it to be small enough to go into hand luggage,but I would also like to use it on long walks with the scope mounted on it.Am I expecting too much?

I would like it to be small enough to go into hand luggage,but I would also like to use it on long walks with the scope mounted on it.Am I expecting too much?

Not at all. Here are the specs, measured myself of the Velbon Ultra Luxi with RRS head: Height quickly adjustable from 7 to 52.5 inches w/o center column, up to 62 inches with center column extended. Total weight, with head and center column is 2 pounds 6.125 oz (1.081 kg). The tripod is also designed to be very quickly set up with just the fattest leg section extended. When so, it is 23.5 inches high, a nice height for use when sitting on the ground, and it is rock solid at that height.

Here's an informative review of an older version of the Ultra Luxi.
http://www.virtualtraveller.org/tripods/tripods.htm
The current version is dark gray in color, and I think it is now available with a reasonably good (and light) ball head from Velbon. I had to buy it with the heavy pan-tilt head, which I replaced with the awesome b-25 pro ballhead from RRS.

--AP

The Velbon Ultrek is less than a foot long when folded while still extending tall enough for a 6ft tall person to use. Fairly robust/stiff for a six section too. I have this now in addition to the Ultra-Maxi L. Both use trunion-type quick deployment legs. The Velbon Ultra series Luxi/Maxi/Ultrek represent the best all-around matches for size, weight and price for the ED50 I think.

Benro also has a series of flat-folding travel tripods if bulk is a concern, but I don't think they fold up as short as the Ultrek.

Mine is size 7, matte black version (which is more impact resistant than the amber see through version). Had a hard time just now finding them on the web, so maybe there is a new version with new numbering system?

This is what I have:http://www.opticsplanet.net/quake-bushwhacker-optic-covers-matte-black-size-7-12872-4.html

--AP

Alexis, Thanks. I guess I have these mixed up, what I was looking at was Butler Creek, looks like the Quake Bushwhacker. A fellow on here said the #43 size fit his ED 50 the best, a little tight I guess.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Butler-Cree...=300629574108&ps=63&clkid=6353126728307555663

I guess you can buy right from Quake Industries.
https://www.bpishopping.com/quake/

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back