• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lens hood for ED50? (2 Viewers)

gandytron

Last edited:
Hi Dave, hope all is well.
Something like that would certainly work, though probably worth double checking the thread size on the front (I think it is 55mm from memory). A collapsible lens hood is another suggestion, and a fair bit cheaper too.
Hope this helps!

Does anybody have an good suggestion for a lens hood that can fit onto the ED50? I will be travelling to the USA and the UK in the next couple of months so if there is an after-market option that I can order online that would be great!

Would this work: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/11170-REG/B_W_65069627_55mm_Screw_In_Metal_Telephoto.html

Currently I use a cut-out from a plastic bottle attached with a rubber band when seawatching...
how about the 55mm lens hood here

Last edited:
Just get a cheap screw-in metal lenshood. 55mm is the right thread size. You can get them for about 10 € on Amazon. No need to pay the exorbitant price for a B+W hood.

Hermann

Hi
here at home among my photographic stuff I had the hood of an old Tamron tele lens that now proves very useful on the Nikon ED50

Attachments

• DSCN1390.JPG
    DSCN1390.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 8
Gandytron,

There are a lot of advantages to your cut-out plastic bottle and rubber band, which include the load from any impact will be largely absorbed by the plastic deforming and won't go into the objective lens mount. A rubber lens hood with a 55mm thread might therefore be better than a metal one because it might reduce the amount of any impact energy getting back to the objective lens and the scope body via the thread if it gets knocked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back