• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Golden Sparrow at Oued Jenaa, Aousserd (1 Viewer)

Acrocephalus

Morocco
Golden Sparrow at Oued Jenna, Aousserd

Yesterday, 2 Golden Sparrows (Passer luteus) seen at Oued Jenna, Aousserd (Thomas & Krister) via P. Bergier’s Facebook.

p.s. I think that the observers’ names are first names and most likely refer to the Swedish birders who first discovered the Cricket Warbler in the same region back in early 2008.

Last edited:
Hi Mohamed, a good record, and perhaps not unexpected after the good amount of rain which you have mentioned. I seem to recall another record of this sp. from that area, is that right?
I wonder what other species will turn up....
Edit: just had a look at Go-South, it seems that things are really picking up along the Aousserd road, eg >150 Dunns Lark, dozens of Tristrams, at least 60 BCF Lark (we had 0 of any of these last Feb), 15 singing Desert Warblers, family groups of Cricket Warblers. Not to mention 2 different W R Heron near Dakhla and a Cape Gull at Khnifiss.
I hope to visit the area again before too long.

Last edited:
2 Sudan Golden Sparrow at Oued Jenna (1 February 2014)

Two (female and male) Sudan Golden Sparrows (Passer luteus) were seen at Oued Jenna near Aousserd on 1 February 2014 by Kalle Larsson (via netfugl.kd)

Aren't they more regular (more or less) now? April 2009, January 2013, February 2014. We will watch and see.

3 Golden Sparrows were seen and photographed by ourselves on Monday 10th, and on Tuesday 11th, another group of birders saw 4

some photos of the sparrows from the 10th

Mark

Attachments

• sgs5.jpg
    sgs5.jpg
    384.4 KB · Views: 43
  • sgs1a.jpg
    sgs1a.jpg
    296.2 KB · Views: 36
  • sgs3a.jpg
    sgs3a.jpg
    337.2 KB · Views: 41
  • sgs4a.jpg
    sgs4a.jpg
    366.4 KB · Views: 55
Here are the pics I managed of the Sudan Golden Sparrows on the 10th February.

Attachments

• Sudan Golden Sparrow.jpg
    Sudan Golden Sparrow.jpg
    239.9 KB · Views: 36
  • Sudan Golden Sparrow (3).jpg
    Sudan Golden Sparrow (3).jpg
    783.2 KB · Views: 31
  • Sudan Golden Sparrow (6).jpg
    Sudan Golden Sparrow (6).jpg
    185.2 KB · Views: 35
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back