• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Trip report:Extremadura and Malaga Region 25/04/2015 - 09/05/2015 (2 Viewers)

NAB

Extremadura and Malaga Region 25/04/2015 - 09/05/2015

This trip report covers both the Extremadura and Malaga regions and is split into 2 sections.

Extremadura

I'd been looking forward to this trip for some time, as it would my first taking in Extremadura and on Saturday 25/04 we finally took a lunchtime flight from Liverpool to Madrid. After collecting the hire car our first evening was spent in a Madrid suburb in a convenient Ibis hotel.

Sunday 26/04 In the morning we awoke to torrential rain and so it continued as we made the long drive along the E90 in the direction of Extremadura. By lunch time there was a break in the weather and on spec we decided to leave the E90 and explore the general area around the villages of El Gordo and Berrocalejo along the CCV 33 road. Despite not featuring in any recommended guides, we found this route, which includes a large lake to be productive and bird wise we got our first tastes of White Stork, Griffon Vulture, Black Vulture, Short-toed Eagle, Booted Eagle, Montagu's Harrier, Black Kite, Stone Curlew, Great Spotted Cuckoo, Azure Winged Magpie, Bee Eater, Hoopoe, Golden Oriole, Iberian Grey Shrike, Woodchat Shrike, Spotless Starling, Red-rumped Swallow, Nightingale and many more.

Following this first stop, we then headed to the wetland at Arrocampo Reservoir near Saucedilla, where we collected a key for the hides from the information hut by the football pitch. With the bad weather again closing in, we only managed to view from the first hide; however this proved most productive with Purple Heron, Little Bittern, Purple Gallinule and Savi's Warbler all added to the trip list.

From here we headed to our base for the next 4 nights, which was the medieval town of Trujillo with nesting White Storks everywhere! My wife had booked the small boutique Hotel Casa de Orellana, which is highly recommended and we really did enjoy our stay here; however take heed if you don't like driving up steep, winding and narrow streets in the extreme to reach your hotel! The delightful hotel garden was full of singing Serins, with plenty of flyover Lesser Kestrels and both Common and Pallid Swifts. Also some general advise for Trujillo, is be prepared as hardly anyone speaks English and for evening meals the restaurants don't open until 20:00 at the earliest, with some as late as 21:00. We did find eating out to be good value and typically you can get a good 3 course meal with a glass of wine for less than €20 each.

Monday 27/04 The first target was the plains and after seeking advice on Bird Forum we headed to the Bélen Plains, which is a short drive from Trujillo. Just work your way through the narrow village streets of Bélen until you hit a road/track which heads out across the plains. By stopping and scanning frequently we soon connected with 4 flighty male Little Bustards, which were chasing each other around. Also in evidence were lots of active and singing Calandra Larks (lifer) with occasional Montagu's Harriers and a Short-toed Eagle. After a while we came across two Dutch birders who told us where they'd been watching 11 Great Bustards, so here we headed and soon after I was scoping 3 male Great Bustards, which eventually we're flushed by a local farmer in his truck, giving great flight views.

Further along the track we came across an early morning gathering of Black Vulture, Griffon Vulture and Black Kites and whilst watching the birds, I did hear Sandgrouse calling but despite my best efforts we failed to connect; Quail were also heard frequently throughout the area. Other birds common to the area included Corn Bunting, Crested Lark and Zitting Cisticola.

Tuesday 28/04 Today we headed to Monfragüe in search of raptors. An important point worth raising, is if staying in the Trujillo area, make sure you take the EX 208 road and don't be tempted to get on the main E 90 road where you no doubt saw Monfragüe signs on your way into Trujillo. By taking the EX 208 road you travel through additional and excellent dehesa habitat, with frequent places to stop and look for birds (more later). On this first visit we headed straight to Monfragüe and stopped at the Castillo de Monfragüe and although the views are very spectacular here, bird wise it's mostly a mass of nesting Griffon Vultures with occasional Egyptian Vultures and Black Vultures. The birds afford close views making it popular with photographers and noisy school trips! We also saw Red Kite, Black Kite, Crag Martin, Blue Rock Thrush, Black Redstart and Rock Bunting in this area.

Next stop was the bridge which crosses the Río Tajo and from the far side parking lot I set up the scope, as I'd been informed that this was a good spot for Eagles. After a while and the countless fly by vultures and Black Kites, I picked up a pale and distinctive looking eagle in the binoculars, whose profile was new to me and a quick switch to the scope revealed a stunning Adult Bonelli's Eagle (lifer), which was carrying a tree branch with greenery in its talons! Whilst scoping the bird I picked up another larger and darker eagle, which was distant, but clearly showed white on the wings, this was an unmistakable Spanish Imperial Eagle (lifer); however the views were distant and brief.

Next we drove the large dam at La Tajadilla where the spectacle turned out to be large Common Carp which were basking below the dam and every so often a giant Wels Catfish would rise from the depths, roll over and drift back down, with one fish easily being over 50KG in weight!

As it was now late afternoon and given a lack of fuel, we decided to turn back and as we approached the bridge, we were again treated to spectacular views of a Bonelli's Eagle and this time we only needed the binoculars to obtain stunning and close views.

Wednesday 29/04 My original plan was to explore the plains between Trujillo and Cáceras for both Sandgrouse species; however I couldn't get out of my mind that I wanted better views of Spanish Imperial Eagle and via Facebook I knew this was possible due to information kindly provided by Chris Mills of Norfolk Birding.........so mind made up and we headed back to Monfragüe. This time we decided to stop at various points along the EX 208, stopping by both bridges crossing the Rio Almonte and then Rio Tozo. Birds seen at these spots included Common Cuckoo, Great Reed Warbler, Melodious Warbler, Cetti's Warbler, Nightingale and Thekla Lark. Further along the road I found myself suddenly slamming the breaks on as a big male dog Otter appeared from the undergrowth and trotted across the road in front of us; even pausing momentarily for a cheeky look at us before disappearing into a small stream. And this no more than 3 meters in front of the car!

Our final stop en route was a small track on the left which was located where the distant Monfragüe ridge first comes into view. Covering the track on foot I added Hawfinch, Woodlark and singing Western Orphean Warbler to the list, and also had our best views yet of Great Spotted Cuckoo!

On reaching Monfragüe we again stopped of at various spots before reaching the Portilla del Tietar viewpoint, where I'd been tipped off that this was the best place to view the Spanish Imperial Eagles. Again plenty of Vultures were in residence, along with the occasional Black Stork; eventually I was drawn to a calling Spanish Imperial Eagle, which appeared flying across the cliff opposite, before circling and giving great views overhead with only binoculars required! Other birds saw here included Red Kite, Booted Eagle and Western Subalpine Warbler.

Thursday 30/04 This was our last morning in Extremadura with a long drive to Ronda ahead in the Malaga region. We spent a couple of hours trying various spots on the Trujillo Plains in the direction of Santa Marta de Magasca looking for Sandgrouse without success; however we did see more Great Bustards, Calandra Larks and Montagu's Harriers. Our final stop was the CC-99 road close to where it meets the A 58 road and here we were rewarded with 18 Rollers, which were making use of the available nesting box scheme on the telegraph poles.

Malaga Region.

Friday 01/05 Following a night spent in the centre of Ronda; a city we have visited on several occasions previously, I was keen to explore the lower reaches of the famous and spectacular gorge to see what birds it held. A couple of hours morning birding included Red-billed Chough, Alpine Swift, Crag Martin, Blue Rock Thrush, Lesser Kestrel, Rock Bunting, Melodious Warbler, Sardinian Warbler, Serin, Spotless Starling and several Rock Sparrows which were seen from the top of the main central bridge which crosses the gorge. We also had flyover Short-toed Eagle and Honey Buzzard.

Saturday 02/05 After breakfast we set off for the final leg of our holiday, to our base in Benahavis, which is a small town around 10KM inland from the coast. We've stayed her previously and very much enjoyed the town's relaxed atmosphere and excellent restaurants. I won't go into too much detail here on the local birding, as I covered this last year in another trip report (see link below). Birds encountered were pretty much as seen last year, although this year we heard Red-necked Nightjar most evenings from our apartment balcony; however try as I might, which included a bit of cheeky tape luring, I was frustratingly unsuccessful in seeing or getting close to any! Also of note was a Monarch butterfly, which had me confused; however on checking my Butterfly app it became apparent that there is a small breeding population in Spain (sanity restored)!

2014 report: http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?p=3020173

Wednesday 06/05 Following a few relaxing days not doing very much, I made a drive back in the direction of Ronda to visit the Parque Natural Sierra de las Nieves. To access the park take the long winding A397 road between Benahavis and Ronda with the Park signposted on the right hand side approximately 8KM before Ronda. Despite what appears to be a lack of resident raptors, which is a surprise given the amounts of available prey, I really do enjoy this location, as its vast, remote, spectacular, has long walking trails and on a midweek visit you'll pretty much have it to yourself. According to Where to Watch Birds in Southern Spain the higher peaks offer a chance of Rufous-tailed Rock Thrush and on this visit, I'd set myself a target of finding them. With this in mind I drove the full 10KM length of the access track and parked at the Los Quejigales car park. As usual I checked the small stream in front of the car park and as with last years visit I found Common Crossbills in the surrounding trees.

After checking the stream area for migrants, I took the main track North, and then took the path to the right, which ascends through the ancient, and remnant pine forest. This really is an excellent spot and as you ascend uphill you get the chance to look down on the treetops getting better views of the birds, which on this occasion included Crested Tit, Rock Bunting, Common Redstart, Iberian Chiffchaff, Bonelli's Warbler (abundant throughout the park), Firecrest, Nuthatch, Mistle Thrush and both very vocal Great Spotted and Iberian Green Woodpeckers. For the second year in a row, I also heard daytime calling Scops Owl!

At this point it's worth mentioning that the paths gets quite steep in places and that you have to navigate the occasional fallen tree. As a bare minimum good walking shoes are required or better still walking boots.

Once above the tree line I headed up towards the telegraph tower where I encountered Northern Wheatears along with the occasional Black-eared Wheatear. Also in this area were singing Skylark (local rarity?). From here I took the track to the right, which descended and entered an area of remanent and sparsely spread Oak wood. Some of these trees looked ancient; however there are efforts to regenerate the woodland with saplings planted throughout. Birds here were similar to those found in the pine forest along with singing Woodlark and Black Restart. One of of the clearings also held a flock of 40+ Red-billed Chough. I pushed on along the path and continued my ascent and where the Oak trees were replaced by low vegetation I found 3 Spectacled Warblers. This was where I hoped to find Rufous-tailed Rock Thrush; however after an hour of searching the rocky slopes, I gave up and began my return descent.

I returned passing the telegraph tower on my right and got to the point where if I was to retrace my original route, I would take the path to my right down through the pine forest. Instead I took the main track in front of me and began the main descent. As I came round the first bend I briefly viewed a bird in the binoculars, which appeared to be a female Rock Thrush species? I continued round the bend and saw the bird again, this time getting a clear view of a bright red rufous rump with female Rufous-tailed Rock Thrush confirmed!

Assuming it was one of a pair I set up the scope to view the general area. After a couple of minutes a bird flew up to the top of a dead pine tree and began to sing, with a quick view in the scope confirming a stunning male Rufous-tailed Rock Thrush! To my amazement this normally shy species flew towards me and landed on a rock no more than 40 meters away, where it again began to sing. Here it stayed even allowing some iPhone to scope record shots (see below)!

Having earlier given up, I was totally elated by this viewing experience and despite not being a lifer (I've even seen one in the UK), this was my bird of the holiday!

Continuing down the track raptors began to become apparent in the late afternoon sun, firstly several Griffon Vultures passed over, which were then followed shortly after by a group of 50+ migrant Honey Buzzards, which circled high above.

And the end of the track, where you meet the main driving track, you get to an area of dense Hawthorne bushes some of which are infested with mistletoe. This proved to be a good area for Western Subalpine Warbler with a couple of singing males encountered.

At this point I turned right and followed the main track back to the car park. On my way driving back I stopped at what I consider to be a very reliable spot for Black Wheatear. In reverse as if entering the park, park in the first parking area on your left or pull in on the next track to your left by a drinking trough. I took this track uphill on foot and again Western Bonelli's Warblers were singing from both sides. As you clear the trees/scrub, there is a rocky hill on your right and after a couple of minutes scanning with the scope, I picked out a singing Black Wheatear. Other birds encountered in this area included singing Woodchat Shrike, Dartford Warbler, Sardinian Warbler, Cirl Bunting, Rock Bunting, Thekla Lark, Stonechat and a Booted Eagle.

It's also worth mentioning that where time allows some of the other parking areas and tracks are worth exploring, with Wild Boar encounters quite possible (at the very least you should hear them).

If staying in the Malaga region and you wish to do some birding/walking, this park should seriously be considered.

Regards,

Neil

Attachments

• IMG_1254.jpg
    IMG_1254.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:
Thanks for this report. I read it this morning before heading to Monfrague and based on it stuck it out by the bridge in hope of Bonelli's Eagle, which eventually showed well, a much wanted bogey bird finally nailed.

Mark

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back