• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Falmouth Birding (3 Viewers)

An hour's wander this morning, heavy shower at end.

Castle Beach - 2 Whimbrel

Swanpool - c.30 Swallow, 2 House Martin, 1 Sand Martin, 1 GCG, 1 Sandwich Tern off the beach.

15+ Gannet in Falmouth bay. Choppy.

Back in Falmouth now. A quick trip around the coast produced a single Whimbrel and and handful of Swallows. Not much else.

Gorrangorras, Penryn River around high tide this evening -

Greenshank 3
Redshank 1
Mute Swan 4
Mallard 3+
Whimbrel 62 flew north 6:30pm.

Sat eating our Maccy D's in the car park next to Lidls, already picked up the few roosting waders when an interesting large flock of birds flew up the channel ... ey up ... if it hadn't been high tide they may have even dropped in, but they carried on up inland, looking like they may have come down Devoran way.

You were eating what, where? What's wrong with a good old pasty at Pendennis point?;)

Erm ...

;)

The girlfriend was too tired to cook me a meal after a hard week at work, and she doesn't like pasties ( :eek!: ... I know!). I did graciously say she could just cook us a couple of packets of pasta-in-sauce instead, but she declined. There's a good view of the Penryn River from the car park next to Lidl's, not far out of Penryn towards Falmouth (had Merlin, Barwit, Med Gull etc and now Whimbrel already there this year), AND it's a lot closer (we did drive to Pendennis from McD***ld's the other day, and over 9 minutes later (yes I timed it), and our food was cold and EVEN less appetising when we got there ...

I have to admit it is still repeating on me a little bit, even now.

Last edited:
I guess she won't be taking part in the pasty tax march then dan
went stithians yesterday
3 great crested grebe 2 nest building
2 heron
2 mallard
6 herring gulls
1 song thursh in full sing
6 cormorants
2 sand martins
1 swallow
no sign of ring neck duck on reservoir when I was there 900
then went to st clement
2 heron
3 greenshank
8 shellduck
1 Greylag
1 Canada geese
2 whimbrel
2 egrets

back up stithians today look for the ring neck duck on the reservoir wanted it as a tick on the lake.started off in Stuart hutchings hide
4 great crested grebe
cormorants, greater black back gull,3 mallard one with ducklings,heron
no sign of tufties or the rnd so walked carnmenellis bank could see ducks flying around the corner in to chapel bay.so drove down there walked to the bay there were 2 goldeneyes 12+ tufties and the ring neck duck all taking shelter in the bay on edge of bank had great views covering behind the trees

Help with ID again please

Ruan Lanihorne
Have just come back from my afternoon stroll and would like some help with the Id of some birds.
The first ones were in a flock of seven and the second one on its own. Guessing the first ones might be Linnet?
Very windy out there
Also saw
Mute swan 2
Shelduck 8
Canada geese 12
Swallows 6
Various gulls but too far out to see what exactly

Attachments

• DSC09254.jpg
    DSC09254.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 37
  • DSC09257.jpg
    DSC09257.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 36
A rather good seawatch from Pendennis Point this morning (not normally a phrase you'd even remotely consider here ... )

Pendennis Point 8:30 - 10:30am

Gannet - 100's West
Manx Shearwater 1000+ W
Whimbrel - 23, 9, 1 in off/veering west
Golden Plover c.50 initially west, lost distantly high up and out to sea
Bonxie 3 W (2 attempted to cross the Lizard peninsula)
POMARINE SKUA 2 ad pale morph W, 1 w/full spoons
Skua sp. 2 (prob 1 Arctic, and 1 poss LT!)
Auk sp. many 100's W
Fulmar 2 W
Kittiwake 110+ W
Sandwich Tern 13 W
Mallard 1f with 4 ducklings NW, arriving west side of P Point.

Swallow 1 E

Also on the point-
Linnet 4
Rock Pipit 2

Swanpool briefly in the rain rather anticlimactic - 2 Swallow, Willow Warbler and Blackcap singing, 2 Guillemot offshore. 6 Fulmar nest sites occupied.

No pasties were consumed in the process ... still had to have breakfast properly ;)

Wasn't really expecting a proper seawatch at all, although I had been hoping for Manxies at some point ... regrettably didn't go for the full counts, but parties of 30+ Manxie, Gannet and auks fairly constantly passing by ... at a fair range admittedly (closest birds 1/2 mile?, excepting the Sarnies which were close in), great majority within the ships anchored in the bay, so up to a couple of miles probably (there may well have been passage further out too of course, but barring the Gannets wasn't too interested in non-id'able stuff). Some later Manx flocks were close enough and good enough light to have picked out Balearics if they had been present. Partly distracted by seeing whether the Bonxies would actually head inland ... they climbed some thousands of feet (I guess), dipped into the cloud base, but then swooped down south eventually. The Mallard with 3 ducklings close and 1 lagging behind up to 30m away also interesting - first picked up maybe 1/2 mile away out to sea, from St Anthony's Head direction. Thought the straggler wouldn't make it in the choppy waters etc.

The possible Long-tailed Skua was certainly interesting - closer than the previous skuas, although mostly flying away from me once picked up. Appeared relatively good on jizz (slender winged, light flight (but it's a while of course since seen Arctic)), distinctly cold grey which is interesting, relatively featureless, couldn't pick out any white flashes on the wings. Concentration! 1st summer fits? My previous experience of LT skuas is unfortunately limited to breeding adults in N Scandinavia and maybe 2 distant birds on seawatches with other observers. That's the way it goes ...

Otherwise the 2 Poms flying together certainly the highlight - magnificent beasts. I see from B'guides reported from Berry Head Devon later this morning too. The start of something?

Last edited:
Went back to Pendennis briefly later on today at 4pm. First birds seen were a party of 20 Manxies west, although that was it for the next 20 minutes, apart from a few Whimbrel in different directions out in the bay, 20 Auk sps west, a Razorbill and the other regular seabirds. Would have been interesting to have stuck it out for the day ... wonder if the Lizard/Porthgwarra got any coverage today?

3 Whimbrel and 2 Oystercatcher on Castle Beach.

After tea scoped what looked like 2 Common Sandpipers from the window at Gorrangorras, so tootled on down - 3 Common Sandpipers roosting!, with another wader sp. (Wood Sand possibly, although unlikely ... it was asleep, and front on), with 3 roosting Greenshank, 14 Whimbrel north, 6 Mute Swan, 5 Mallard and a Swallow over the high tide.

College/Argal briefly this evening -

College -

10+ mixed hirundines flock (Swallow, House Martin and Sand Martin), but they'd gone when I came out of the trees properly, so unsure of numbers.
Cormorant 11 roosting
Grey Heron 1
Mute Swan 2
Canada Goose 3
Mallard 5
Coot 1
Moorhen 6+

Willow Warbler 4+ singing

Argal -

c.120 mixed Swallow and Sand Martin (roughly equal numbers).
House Martin 1
Grey Wagtail 1 (first for months)
Great Crested Grebe 1
Tufted Duck 1
Mallard 7+

Last edited:
Additions to the list -
119) Goosander - Stithians Res
120) Swallow

Falmouth area list update -

121) Willow Warbler 27th March
122) Sand Martin 4th April
123) Hobby x2 (4th and 12th April)
124) Ringed Plover - Devoran 5th April
125) Osprey - Restronguet 5th April
126) Wheatear 6th April
127) Manx Shearwater - 23rd April
128) Golden Plover
129) Bonxie
130) Pomarine Skua 2
131) Common Sandpiper - 23rd April

Probably a quiet spring so far on the whole, northerlies etc

Pendennis the busiest it's been for a while - on the land at least!

Massive twitch this morning (4 birders), the sea was generally quiet though - Gannets fishing offshore and moving west distantly, 1 distant Skua sp west, 20 Whimbrel or so in the area, 3 Oystercatcher w across the bay. 5 Swallow and 2 House Martin (didn't see the latter myself) on Pendennis - prob first hirundines on site this year! Nice meeting some people, whose names already elude me ...

Decided to give Swanpool a miss (will I regret this?!), as the convoy seemed to be headed that way, and I was meant to be doing other things anyway, like wrapping presents for the gf's birthday, which I should have done yesterday. Gorrangorras - 1 Whimbrel and 1 Oystercatcher ...

Today at Swanpool, after leaving the bustling twitch at Pendennis:

4 Golden Orioles, 2 Roller, 1 Ruppell's Warbler etc... ;)

No, in reality you didn't miss anything at all, even the Great Crested Grebe appears to have 'done one'. Very few birds

Falmouth area list update -

121) Willow Warbler 27th March
122) Sand Martin 4th April
123) Hobby x2 (4th and 12th April)
124) Ringed Plover - Devoran 5th April
125) Osprey - Restronguet 5th April
126) Wheatear 6th April
127) Manx Shearwater - 23rd April
128) Golden Plover
129) Bonxie
130) Pomarine Skua 2
131) Common Sandpiper - 23rd April

Probably a quiet spring so far on the whole, northerlies etc

hi dan just couple more for you to add both from stithians
bufflehead that was at penhalvean for a day
red kite which was up stithians reservior few weeks back.
I can get you the dates if you want them

sounds like you had a great day yesterday

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back