• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dantheman's 10km from home list 2022 (1 Viewer)

dantheman

Bah humbug
Since almost all my birding is done locally these days anyway (garden and local patches) this fits right in with the current trend for greener birding and 'fun' competition online eg BirdGuides running the #LocalBigYear. Aware that some local birders have been doing 10km for the last year or two as well. I could do a 5 mile list (c8km) which would net me essentially the same habitats - not really expecting any extra species in the extra 8 -10km zone, or even any extra visits to that portion, but we'll see,

Links:
This is a useful tool - 10KM From Home (other similar exist)

Mind you, I'm not officially taking part in the BirdGuides challenge as such yet (not sure if you have to have a subscription to take part).

My location is Mabe Burnthouse, nr Penryn/Falmouth in South West Cornwall (but not as far west as the 'good bits' of South West Cornwall - eg Lizard and West Penwith). Stithians Reservoir is within the 8km, as are College and Argal Reservoirs and the Falmouth Coast, all with good track records of rarities. However there have barely been anything mega or of national interest in recent years, but have still seen some good birds now and then. Lacking in some habitat types, most notably wet meadows.

On New Year's Day took my almost traditional long walk from home to the coast and back. Overslept and feeling slow in the morning so didn't get out until c11am, which meant had to minimise a few sections and got back after dark (c6pm). 20+ miles in all.

January 1st

Home
1 Herring Gull
2 Jackdaw
3 Carrion Crow

En route and College Reservoir
4 Starling
5 Blue Tit
6 Pied Wagtail
7 Blackbird
8 Chaffinch
9 Magpie
10 Robin
11 Little Egret
12 Great Crested Grebe
13 Black-headed Gull
14 Redwing
15 Chiffchaff
16 Firecrest
17 Long-tailed Tit
18 Wren
19 Grey Heron
20 Moorhen
21 Mallard
22 Wigeon
23 Tufted Duck
24 Coot
25 Cormorant
26 Gadwall mf
27 Shoveler
28 Great Black-backed Gull
29 Mediterranean Gull
30 Great Tit
31 Woodpigeon
32 Nuthatch
33 Rook
34 Buzzard

To town and Penryn River
35 Goldfinch
36 House Sparrow
37 Redshank
38 Curlew
39 Little Grebe
40 Grey Wagtail

Falmouth - Pendennis Point to Pennance Point
41 Jay
42 Great Northern Diver
43 Shag
44 Turnstone
45 Gannet
46 Oystercatcher
47 Rock Pipit
48 Black Redstart f type
49 Goldcrest
50 Fulmar 14 on their breeding cliff
51 Song Thrush
52 Pheasant
53 Skylark
54 Dunnock

Falmouth - Swanpool and homeward
55 Mute Swan
56 Blackcap (3 tacking after dusk)

Last edited:
Further additions, at home or on foot from home -

2nd January
57 Collared Dove - back garden, Mabe

4th January
58 Teal whilst on a run down to College Reservoir

5th January
59 Greenfinch - 1 in back hedge, Mabe
60 Bullfinch whilst out on a local run - Mabe

7th January
61 Common Snipe
62 Stonechat - both College Reservoir
(Also a probable Siberian Chiffchaff but didn't get bins on it in time)

Last edited:
Had to go into Falmouth and took the opportunity to take a run (or jog) along the seafront from Swanpool to Pendennis Point and back, occasionally stopping for brief scan of the sea or if anything looked interesting. Nothing on the sea looked interesting.

10th January

63 Water Rail - Swanvale
64 Ringed Plover - Swanpool Point
65 Feral Pigeon
66 Meadow Pipit - Pendennis Point
67 Lesser Black-backed Gull - 5 near Swanpool Beach upon my return.

(See thread in your Birding Day, 'Running Bird List' for fuller report)

12th January

68 Coal Tit - 2 in back and then front garden, Mabe

Last edited:
14th January

69 Stock Dove - 1 flying over 'the field'

16th January

70 Shelduck
71 Black-tailed Godwit
72 Greenshank
73 Common Gull

Called in on Devoran briefly after a visit to Truro midday. Unfortunately it was mid tide.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back