• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Spiders (biggies) wards against them (1 Viewer)

Steve_Halstead

Sparrow or Crow?
First of all is it the 'house spider' that is the massive runner that will just burst along the carpet scaring this 6 foot man?

Having looked online various horse chestnut themes arise. I personally feel there is no cure for big spiders. I ask you however to say if there is. I know they do ok etc for bad things and what have you... But still!

It will be the house spider - which of course is a complex of often difficult to identify species in the genus Tegenaria. Can't see any reason why horse chestnuts would do anything, but I seem to recall someone somewhere indicating they do work.

Link: Myths/facts regarding spider deterents, looks like catnip may be of some use, whilst Horse Chestnuts are an urban myth.

The spiders don't bother me, but the hysterical reaction of SWMBO is unsettling (and funny after the initial shock) :king:.

I operate a catch and release scheme for the real biggies, which are presumably Tegenaria gigantea. B.A.S have further information here.

If none of the deterents work , then in the vernacular of da youffs, "Grow a pair"! |:D|

Attachments

• sphouse4.jpg
    sphouse4.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 43
Link: Myths/facts regarding spider deterents, looks like catnip may be of some use, whilst Horse Chestnuts are an urban myth.

The spiders don't bother me, but the hysterical reaction of SWMBO is unsettling (and funny after the initial shock) :king:.

I operate a catch and release scheme for the real biggies, which are presumably Tegenaria gigantea. B.A.S have further information here.

If none of the deterents work , then in the vernacular of da youffs, "Grow a pair"! |:D|

I could grow a pair of horse chestnuts but they will not do much good

8-P

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back