• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Observing 'sensitive species' (1 Viewer)

condor1992

Spain
Just was curious about other people's opinions.
In the UK, long-eared owl roosts are not revealed, red-backed shrike breeding locations are kept a tight secret, and other things. When asked why it is so, people generally respond that they are afraid something will be disturbed/picked. Yes, true, it is possible, but isn't that a paranoid position?
I've been in these situations myself. Last year, I was asking people where to find the Serapias bergonii orchid which had appeared in Suffolk. Everyone said they wouldn't reveal the location. That was upsetting and in my position I felt I was punished, along with many others, for the potential actions of someone which may or may not happen. Another time I asked about seeing goshawks and turned half of an (another) internet forum against me when I was warned my 'requests were getting too specific'.
Today I was reading about the Nene Washes and saw enraged birdwatchers complaining that three people had been photographed disturbing short-eared owls. When I observed that owl in the same place, I got rather close and it showed no sign of disturbance, so what these people did to flush the birds I do not know. That is bad practice, and it is unacceptable to disturb wild animals for photos, but I believe this would have never happened had there not been so much secrecy.
You should have seen the crowds looking for long-eared owl there. The problem, I think, is these birds are hidden so much that when something leaks, desperate birdwatchers lose inhibition and want to take photos from excitement. Whilst I am categorically against disturbing birds, I am also against hiding locations, because it causes unstable situations like that to occur and also prevents considerate people from enjoying views of a species they want to see. I know from personal experience that if someone knows a general location and just carefully searches, they will be more careful.
Online, someone recently posted a video of the tree Methuselah from California. I can verify that is the correct tree. Later on, people started commenting, demanding it be removed and claiming that the tree will be destroyed because of that. That is a paranoid viewpoint which has no basis in reality, and is, once again, punishing everyone for paranoia.
In the UK, I think people are most worried about photographers, egg collectors and shooters. Most people are very considerate and careful, and only a tiny minority can cause problems and won't be able to do so at a well-known and watched site. Instead of hiding that Thetford Forest Ride 7 is a good place to see goshawks for years before it finally leaked, reveal it (like now), make it well-known, and the enhanced publicity is already a layer of protection, especially for a species which lives on/near a firing range anyway.
Like with the bergonii tongue orchid, and also say Essex's tongue orchids, I know the locations now, but many others do not. I have not once refused to tell a person where to find them when they asked.
If, and when, the Montagu's harrier returns, it will probably be kept a close secret. If at that point the location leaks, it will be a massive rampage that will result in breeding failure. If, instead, a watchpoint is established like with the bee-eater colony in Trimingham, people can enjoy views, and the birds will not be driven out of the area.
I'm curious to see what others think. I am against hiding locations, but I think most people do hide them on this forum

I suspect I have engaged with you before. I would not share sensitive information on an open forum with someone I did not know. Possibly somewhat hypocritical; I have benefitted in the past from specific information given to me in the field, eg Montagu’s Harrier sites back in the day. At least then, my “informers” had interacted with me in the field, and been able to judge something of my character. I want people to be able to increase their experiences of nature, but that comes with a corresponding imperative; first do no harm. If you find yourself heading up to Wirral, let me know; happy to meet you, “judge” you, and hopefully deem you safe to share information with. Similarly, I am intrigued by your Serapias sites; I would like to know more, but as you know nothing about me, I would not ask. Hope this makes sense.

I suspect I have engaged with you before. I would not share sensitive information on an open forum with someone I did not know. Possibly somewhat hypocritical; I have benefitted in the past from specific information given to me in the field, eg Montagu’s Harrier sites back in the day. At least then, my “informers” had interacted with me in the field, and been able to judge something of my character. I want people to be able to increase their experiences of nature, but that comes with a corresponding imperative; first do no harm. If you find yourself heading up to Wirral, let me know; happy to meet you, “judge” you, and hopefully deem you safe to share information with. Similarly, I am intrigued by your Serapias sites; I would like to know more, but as you know nothing about me, I would not ask. Hope this makes sense.
If you asked, I would have told you. Especially the tongue orchid site

I've twice recently flagged birds on BirdTrack as Sensitive but that said, one was listed as Year Round sensitive on their help pages and the other is sensitive only in the Breeding season. Montagus is counted as Year Round sensitive so they (BTO/BirdTrack) wouldn't display the location if you submitted it.

Just was curious about other people's opinions.
In the UK, long-eared owl roosts are not revealed, red-backed shrike breeding locations are kept a tight secret, and other things. When asked why it is so, people generally respond that they are afraid something will be disturbed/picked. Yes, true, it is possible, but isn't that a paranoid position?
I've been in these situations myself. Last year, I was asking people where to find the Serapias bergonii orchid which had appeared in Suffolk. Everyone said they wouldn't reveal the location. That was upsetting and in my position I felt I was punished, along with many others, for the potential actions of someone which may or may not happen. Another time I asked about seeing goshawks and turned half of an (another) internet forum against me when I was warned my 'requests were getting too specific'.
Today I was reading about the Nene Washes and saw enraged birdwatchers complaining that three people had been photographed disturbing short-eared owls. When I observed that owl in the same place, I got rather close and it showed no sign of disturbance, so what these people did to flush the birds I do not know. That is bad practice, and it is unacceptable to disturb wild animals for photos, but I believe this would have never happened had there not been so much secrecy.
You should have seen the crowds looking for long-eared owl there. The problem, I think, is these birds are hidden so much that when something leaks, desperate birdwatchers lose inhibition and want to take photos from excitement. Whilst I am categorically against disturbing birds, I am also against hiding locations, because it causes unstable situations like that to occur and also prevents considerate people from enjoying views of a species they want to see. I know from personal experience that if someone knows a general location and just carefully searches, they will be more careful.
Online, someone recently posted a video of the tree Methuselah from California. I can verify that is the correct tree. Later on, people started commenting, demanding it be removed and claiming that the tree will be destroyed because of that. That is a paranoid viewpoint which has no basis in reality, and is, once again, punishing everyone for paranoia.
In the UK, I think people are most worried about photographers, egg collectors and shooters. Most people are very considerate and careful, and only a tiny minority can cause problems and won't be able to do so at a well-known and watched site. Instead of hiding that Thetford Forest Ride 7 is a good place to see goshawks for years before it finally leaked, reveal it (like now), make it well-known, and the enhanced publicity is already a layer of protection, especially for a species which lives on/near a firing range anyway.
Like with the bergonii tongue orchid, and also say Essex's tongue orchids, I know the locations now, but many others do not. I have not once refused to tell a person where to find them when they asked.
If, and when, the Montagu's harrier returns, it will probably be kept a close secret. If at that point the location leaks, it will be a massive rampage that will result in breeding failure. If, instead, a watchpoint is established like with the bee-eater colony in Trimingham, people can enjoy views, and the birds will not be driven out of the area.
I'm curious to see what others think. I am against hiding locations, but I think most people do hide them on this forum
People like you are why people don't disclose sensitive locations to people they don't know and trust. It may only be a tiny minority who have bad intentions, but that's all it takes.

People like you are why people don't disclose sensitive locations to people they don't know and trust. It may only be a tiny minority who have bad intentions, but that's all it takes.
People like me? Impressive. For an adult, really impressive. What did I do, exactly?

I've never been on this forum before. What else did I do? Say that I do not agree locations should be hidden and point out why it is so?

I've never been on this forum before. What else did I do? Say that I do not agree locations should be hidden and point out why it is so?
Funny, your style of debate and approach to sensitive species of birds is remarkably similar to a poster from some time back, who concidentally also spent a lot of time on the Costa Blanca, also got into arguments about disturbing owls, about how sites shouldn't be kept quiet, who also spoke of rare plants in eastern Britain, etc.

Howdy Gleb

A lot of other birdwatchers also spend time on the Costa Blanca (very popular summer destination), including me. A lot of others agree that locations should not be witheld, for example the author of a book who first leaked the Thetford site. And a lot of birdwatchers are nature-lovers as well. I'm also obsessed with spiders and astrophotography, as are many others.
Think you are grasping at straws, and I would appreciate it if it stopped. This finger-pointing is starting to get on my nerves. Like with the pheasant, like about me being associated with someone else.

A lot of other birdwatchers also spend time on the Costa Blanca (very popular summer destination), including me..... Like with the pheasant, like about me being associated with someone else.
You should be mighty annoyed with that Gleb ...he took a very similar photo of the Lady Amherst on the same day as you, well actually identical

Sorry Gleb, your obsession with the same topics of sensitive species and the same argumentative posting style across the threads makes you somewhat distinctive :)

Last edited:
Gleb, this is a reason people will not share information with you. Looking at Jos’ link, I feel we are dealing with a talented naturalist, who does seem to be able to avoid disturbance (except perhaps to fungi - an Eastern European trait), but who has a strong feeling of entitlement to all information. We all have some degree of envy about other people’s sightings; get yourself known in person as reliable, and the missing information will be shared eventually.

Obviously, this thread has gone into a tailspin, but on the notion that only a few people "have bad intentions"...maybe so, but we all know the proverb about the road to hell.

Gleb, this is a reason people will not share information with you. Looking at Jos’ link, I feel we are dealing with a talented naturalist, who does seem to be able to avoid disturbance (except perhaps to fungi - an Eastern European trait), but who has a strong feeling of entitlement to all information. We all have some degree of envy about other people’s sightings; get yourself known in person as reliable, and the missing information will be shared eventually.
As you wish. Was just sharing my feelings and venting out frustration about that Methuselah video more than anything. And yes, due to Eastern European blood, the only place where I feel fungi are truly at home at is on my kitchen table, cooked. And thanks

I feel that if disturbance from photographers becomes a problem, birdwatching community should try finding a site for that species where it can be viewed or photographed without disturbance.

Long-eared Owls locally roost in parks, where they choose to perch right next to people. Surely in Britain it is possible to find a place to photograph the owl without disturbance? It will not solve all problems with photographers, but is a step towards it.

I feel that if disturbance from photographers becomes a problem, birdwatching community should try finding a site for that species where it can be viewed or photographed without disturbance.

Long-eared Owls locally roost in parks, where they choose to perch right next to people. Surely in Britain it is possible to find a place to photograph the owl without disturbance? It will not solve all problems with photographers, but is a step towards it.
Yes, that is exactly what I meant.
EG long-eared owls roost at Deeping Lakes as well, and given where they roost (island), it is simply not possible to disturb them. Eldernell was also publicised, where the birds are behind a barbed wire fence and even then very difficult to see. I advocated the same for Montagu's harriers, and the RSPB actually did do that at one point, as they have done for the bee-eaters at Trimingham.
But some simply cannot be well photographed without being disturbed (capercaillie) so there hides need to be built to see them, as has been done very successfully with bitterns

Once upon a time, in a particular site in the North West Midlands, there was a wintering Long-eared Owl roost in a large pine plantation; the rangers scraped circles around the trees used, which made it easy to find the birds, but only if you knew about the approximate location anyway. AFAIK, this was very successful; however I have not been to the site for 15 years or more, so have no idea whether it is still used.

When I've found what I'm looking for myself, without assistance, very few things have compared with the sense of satisfaction and delight it brings. I wouldn't want to dull the feeling of joy and achievement that others might feel when their own detective work succeeds, and so I don't. (y)

I think that in general people are not aware of what their physical presance has a birds or should I say on breeding birds, having spend time with both Monty's and Hen Harriers (at a distance of 500 m under and schedule one license) the birds were fully aware of my presence and reacted by avoiding flying within 150m of me and change their routes into the nests to avoid me. Red-backed Shrike are less fussy and did not change their forging patterns.

The Long-eared Owl roost that had been watching for approx 20 years on and off abandoned the roost mid winter due to disturbance.
It seems that some Long-eared Owl roosts are less prone to disturbance and I have not come to any conclusion as to why. But me experience means that I do not broadcast Long-eared Owl roost.

Most birds will react to as a predictor !

Birds outside of the breeding season will behave differently.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back