• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Carrying the 300mm f2.8 (1 Viewer)

Hi Dave, Out of interest which head are you using on the Monopod?

Re the last para - I do not understand this |:S| |:S| |:S| You say you will be ordering from him again but would rather buy from someone else !!!!

P.S. On a side note does anyone know if the IS is of any use when using a monopod?

Oops!

Thanks for that. I have corrected the grammer, which now states that I will not be ordering from him again.

I haven't decided on a head for the monopod yet. I am guessing / chancing that I will get away without one.

I have heard from 2-3 sources that using IS on a monopod does improve results?

Thanks again,

DaveB

Last edited:
Dave is the lens being repaired under warrenty or have you got to pay.

Before sending the lens I asked the repair company if the warranty was valid. The quick answer was 'not really, but we can get round it'. The only cost to me was the postage (£21.00) and the loss of the lens for 5 weeks.

One annoying outcome is the fact that the repair company have sent the lens back without the original cardboard box (the one it came in). Most annoyed at this, as it appears they have lost it.

Anyway, I managed to try it out for half an hour during late afternoon and I have to say that I have certainly missed this lens. It does appear to focus quicker, image stabilisation appears to be quieter and the images do look sharper than before (time will tell).

Had a go at different carrying positions using the monopod. It seems as though the best method might be to have the monopod attached and resting the camera / lens / monopod over my left shoulder, leaving my right hand free for my bins (I'm right handed ;) ).

I'll have the chance to test my set up to the full over the next 2wks as I'm off up to the highlands this am.

Thanks,

DaveB

a good monopod and over the shoulder is a great way to carry it i do, and often take my 500f4 the same way.
on a Sidenote
Kerso has often said he may take a while to get back to people owing to cormitments and often is not at a computer or carn't get to check email's but he's a straight guy to buy from -got my 300f2.8isL From him.
Rob.

I know that the prime subject of this thread is the Canon lens but has anyone tried or had experience with the Sigma 300mm f2.8? and which is considerably cheaper.

I know that the prime subject of this thread is the Canon lens but has anyone tried or had experience with the Sigma 300mm f2.8? and which is considerably cheaper.

I had a play with one and liked it, apparently it's as sharp as the 500 f4.5 (which I love). I have a real hankering for one, if I can find a good deal I'd chop in my 100-400 IS to get one (no way in the world I can afford the Canon).

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back