• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yahoo groups and BT mail (1 Viewer)

Paul Higson

BT have just switched me over to the new format . . .

I now cannot access the yahoo group of which I am the moderator using my main yahoo ID as it has a bt e mail address.

As I am the only moderator no one can now approve new members etc etc.

Is their anyway I can get back into this group as a moderator ?, or even get another person approved as a moderator ?

BT have been completely unhelpful and I cannot find a number to phone for Yahoo.

HELP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know nothing about BTs new format, but I don't really understand why you cannot use your existing Yahoo login info.

Just use it to log onto yahoo, no matter whether this still is your actual email address or not.

I apologize if I misunderstand the problem. If you tell us more you'll get people being able to help who don't know what BT is doing to you.

Andrea

Kitefarrago - probably didn't explain myself too well, panicking . . .

I have four yahoo id's that all begin with p , I go to the Sign in to yahoo page, enter p in the Yahoo ID box and all four options appear. Three of them take me straight into yahoo when I enter the correct password, however, when I choose my main yahoo id ( the one that I use all the time ) and enter the password it takes me to the BT site every time.

This means I cannot access my yahoo groups with this id, which is a massive problem as I am the only moderator and cannot approve members etc etc.

Wondering if there is a way to reclaim this ID ? been through all the options I can find on the web. Asked friends to try from their computers that I have never used (thinking the computer may have "remembered" me somehow), still no luck. Have cleared cookies and caches, set computer to not remember passwords etc etc, but still it connects to BT rather than yahoo. Even tried setting up a new id using the same id and it says that one is taken, so it is still in the system somewhere. Rang a number for UK yahoo help - they couldn't help . . .

Hope this makes sense.

Hello Paul,
don't know if this is any help.. from the BT cust help pages

"If you regularly use other BT Yahoo! services such as BT Yahoo! Groups, Answers, Finance, and Games, you can still access these using your BT Yahoo! log in details. Just go to www.yahoo.co.uk."

Peter - thanks for this, but have tried about 100 times that way, still straight to BT . . . have even rung BT about a dozen times hoping to get an advisor who could help - no luck there either.

Wouldn't it be simple if I could actually talk to someone at Yahoo who could sort the matter out - seems that you cannot get them to add another moderator to the group. That would solve the problem as they could approve membership with one of my other id's and then make me a moderator . .

Seems if anyone is the sole moderator and dies without leaving their id and password to someone in a will, the group dies with them - so if anyone is reading this and is sole moderator of a group, probably best to appoint a number 2 !!

Apparently Yahoo sent an e-mail out sometime ago about this - a relevant section below. I never recieved it - could it have gone into Spam ? - I cannot believe that there is no retrospective way to change things after the event. Still trying . . . .

What will happen if I don’t follow these steps before my BT Yahoo Mail is move BT Mail?

If you don’t follow the membership update steps above before your BT Yahoo Mail is moved to the new BT Mail service, your access to the Yahoo Groups site will end. If you are a moderator of any groups, the groups will become unmoderated. You will still however, be able to send and receive emails from your groups via the @yahoogroups.co.uk email distribution lists.

Last edited:
Hummph... love it.

Paul, is there any way you can forget that group and re-start with another one?

Just talked to a really helpful guy at BT - nothing at all they can do at their end.

Looks like I will have to set up another group with all the bother that entails for everyone . . .

Still cannot believe that Yahoo could just invalidate my ID without my permission/involvement - no wonder they don't have a number to ring . . .:-C

Crikey.. Well I would use this as an opportunity to move forwards into a modern environment.. maybe a google+ community?
Depending on how much re-training of your members you are prepared to go thru, and how averse to change they are!

I'm glad you now at least know more about the situation. I agree that it is ridiculous of them to make such changes. It sounds like a decision made by people who didn't really think all too hard about how many people they might put out.

But, being the only person who can perform some specific action always gives a single point of failure - even an extended hospital stay might be quite disruptive. I think we'd all do well to occasionally ponder whether we should find a deputy for some of the things we do.

I hope you'll be able to keep your community together,

Andrea

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back