• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Solo birder in Ecuador- finding group tours/companions for Quito day trips? (2 Viewers)

rosajd

United Kingdom
I am travelling to Ecuador next month for work but I will have a few days in Quito by myself afterwards and I would like to take a day trip to either Antisana/Pallapacta/Yanococha to see the condors etc. All the tour options I am seeing are private and understandably charge a high premium for single person bookings. I would prefer not to pay a premium price and instead join part of a larger group (to make it more affordable & also because I don't feel totally comfortable being alone in remote areas with just a guide)

Does anyone have any tips for how to get round this apart from trying to find other people in the hotel who might like to share once I get there? Are there options for group day-trip tours that a single person can join that I've missed? Or indeed, if there is anyone here going to be in Quito around 24-27th July who might like to coordinate, drop me a message!

Thanks in advance.

I am travelling to Ecuador next month for work but I will have a few days in Quito by myself afterwards and I would like to take a day trip to either Antisana/Pallapacta/Yanococha to see the condors etc. All the tour options I am seeing are private and understandably charge a high premium for single person bookings. I would prefer not to pay a premium price and instead join part of a larger group (to make it more affordable & also because I don't feel totally comfortable being alone in remote areas with just a guide)

Does anyone have any tips for how to get round this apart from trying to find other people in the hotel who might like to share once I get there? Are there options for group day-trip tours that a single person can join that I've missed? Or indeed, if there is anyone here going to be in Quito around 24-27th July who might like to coordinate, drop me a message!

Thanks in advance.
You did not say how many days you have available. Did you check for example the last itinerary here:
If they have a tour already on the dates you require, they may be able to add you for just the first few days. You would pay an additional fee for the transfer back to Quito if you leave early. You could probably check with Guango lodge for a couple of days with them that includes Papallacta during the transfer. And if those are options you have already considered, then sorry.

I have not myself seen Condor in Ecuador, but if that it the goal, my impression is that east of Quito (Artisana/Papallacta) is a better option than Yanacocha.

Another possible option is to look for lodging in the higher elevation area, such as Las Termas de Papallacta. If you are already there, joining up with a group going out might be easier than doing so from Quito.
Niels

The easiest way to find a condor in Ecuador is the road leading up to Cotopaxi... Can view them from the road on the cliffs pretty easy and once up in Cotopaxi, you can observe the paramo habitat as there are a unique set of birds located up on the basin leading up....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back