• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

bunting maybe? UK (1 Viewer)

Maybe worth asking photographer to upload an unedited version of the first pic? Second ones look less 'intense', perhaps the saturation levels were altered etc - lowered levels of first one to match second lot of pics more, could be wrong of course but just a thought. (apologies for the reinstatement of my original post btw, sudden attack of nerves after the initial IDs seemed unanimous - but Corn Bunting would be the most likely on location so thought maybe ruling that out first, if not Reed, since anything else would be a bit of a mega for Sussex!)

Attachments

• buntingish.jpg
    buntingish.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 403
with the colour toned down I feel less out on a limb for having suggested corn - that is one hefty bill!

I'm glad I had doubts earlier but now I'm really confused. Corn bunting? Its so contrasty and bright. Can digital cameras really do that much? No better suggestions mind you.

Upps, I have to admit, there is suddenly a strong Corn Bunting jizz in the cropped image attached to post #21. Now I think, nickderry and deborah are right ...

Can digital cameras really do that much? No better suggestions mind you.

I guess, although perhaps more to do with post-processing.

Mucked around with one of my Corn Bunting images (Very heavy crop of the original that was taken in very different weather conditions in late summer and also slightly more exaggerated demonstration!)

Attachments

• corn mucky.JPG
    corn mucky.JPG
    31 KB · Views: 106
LOL ...Nice one Nick, for sticking your neck out...did wonder about that breast spot!
Still looks very colourful on my monitor but I guess the Id fits... certainly swung that way it seems.. either way, I'm happy it's not a Reed then!

Last edited:
LOL ...Nice one Nick, for sticking your neck out...did wonder about that breast spot!
Still looks very colourful on my monitor but the Id fits...

Yes, I'll stick to my first instincts in future and not delete my posts ;) It is very hard when the 7 posters before you have all unanimously agreed on one id LOL

anyway guess that comment serves me right for doing a Roker!

(btw I was surprised that only Nick and I even considered CB ;))

Last edited:
Yes, I'll stick to my first instincts in future and not delete my posts ;) It is very hard when the 7 posters before you have all unanimously agreed on one id LOL

anyway guess that comment serves me right for doing a Roker!

(btw I was surprised that only Nick and I even considered CB ;))

Unaware of your comments cos they weren't there when I Left, I considered it because Nick mentioned it but as I stated, thought that the colouration was just too far stretched and at the time was trying to work out why everyone thought it a relatively straightforward Reed. Sometimes, no matter how wrong people feel they are, or how much against the grain they are going, should not delete posts as it actually influences by their absence.

The very fact that we are prepared to comment means that we have to unfortunately be prepared to be shot down, that's the 'fun' of BF! ;):smoke:

Last edited:
I too was trying to work out why everyone thought it a relatively straightforward Reed, which was where I came in originally and also applying local knowledge of the area as well as impressions of gizz.

I do apologise if I've somehow 'put you out' ... you obviously didn't notice then not only had my original post been put back (10) but also didnt notice my subsequent post with the uploaded lightened picture to which Nick and several others responded, nor did you notice my last post (where I uploaded another pic).

PS I, like everybody else, don't mind at all being shot down on the basis of identifying criteria what makes for unpleasant ID threads at times, is the competitive comments that often go with it, that seek to undermine one's credibility simply to win an ID debate - whether those take the form of completely ignoring other people's participation in a thread,or referring to them as not being 'expert' enough to warrant respect for their opinions with either direct remarks or oblique ones. This happens on a regular basis, the last time I believed was on the 'interesting egret' thread recently. But I guess the proof is always in the pudding. Funny it seems the people who don't do that are the real experts.

Last edited:
Not put out in the slightest Deborah, and don't take offence for leaving you out of my comments, as it happens, Nick at the time was very much against the grain and as far as he was concerned took a risk.

As for experts, well, we never stop learning do we therefore I would rather it regarded as experience rather than expertise. As it happens I've seen thousands of buntings on migration over the past 20 years and didn't particularly judge this one very well, LOL
though I do see more Rustic than Corn...

No need to apologise, besides you've had a bad day, your neighbours a nutter! - http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=131876

No problem Mark and agree with your comments re: experience/learning etc and said much the same myself on the 'interesting egret thread'. I didn't ask for my post to be put back in until 7.40 this evening and only did because the way the discussion was going, I was likely to have missed another first for Sussex otherwise couldn't really be bothered either way. It's no big deal, still not going to call it 100% on these images anyway.

Last edited:
Well I've followed this thread with interest, and, having initially thought it was a Reed bunting, I still think it is one.

If I stare at the picture in the 1st post for long enough, with a field guide image of Corn Bunting in front of me, I can just about make it look like one, but then I go away, look at it again and Reed instantly comes to mind.

Bill looks the right colour for Reed (certainly not pinksh/straw) and doesn't look especially big to my eyes either.

The other thing that no one has mentioned is that in post 8 (1st pic) it almost certainly has white tail sides! I know colours/tones can be difficult to judge accurrately from digital images, but the conclusion that some have arrived at- that this is a Corn Bunting, is surely wide of the mark?

Still keeping an open(ish) mind,

Steve

Hi Steve,

I came to the conclusion just to put it to 'bed', unless better images come forward, it could go on forever.... but I do know what you mean..

Hi Steve,

I came to the conclusion just to put it to 'bed', unless better images come forward, it could go on forever.... but I do know what you mean..

Yes, I did the same with the Stint (in flight) thread a couple of weeks ago. Remember that one? I think everybody else did too!

Steve

Late joining but if I saw that bird I wouldn't have thought anything other than Reed bunting, if it's a corn bunting it's not like any I have seen!

If I stare at the picture in the 1st post for long enough, with a field guide image of Corn Bunting in front of me, I can just about make it look like one, but then I go away, look at it again and Reed instantly comes to mind.

Steve

I can make it out to be several different buntings if I try but just not a Corn Bunting. Just not bland enough. Next Corn Bunting I meet is going to get very nervous with me staring at it.

The reasons why I now think that Corn Bunting is a better alternative than Reed are:
-the bill looks too heavy for a normal British Reed Bunting
-the entire bird looks quite front heavy
-the median coverts seem to have whitish tips
-the crown and malar stripe look quite strongly streaked
-the lower mandible looks straw coloured
-in the first photo, where the tail is best visible, no white edges are visible, and the upperside of the tail looks quite pale

The reasons why I now think that Corn Bunting is a better alternative than Reed are:
-the bill looks too heavy for a normal British Reed Bunting
-the entire bird looks quite front heavy
-the median coverts seem to have whitish tips
-the crown and malar stripe look quite strongly streaked
-the lower mandible looks straw coloured
-in the first photo, where the tail is best visible, no white edges are visible, and the upperside of the tail looks quite pale

And there appears to be a dark mark in the centre of the breast and there's also a small, pale ear covert spot.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2359/2449443251_f5d343b3dd.jpg?v=0

http://stevenround-birdphotography.com/images/corn-bunting-1(17-5-05).jpg

http://www.merseysidebiodiversity.org.uk/v2Magazine\birds\469.Corn Bunting b Altcar 5-1991.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back