• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Identify raptor with yellow legs in Vale of Glamorgan, Wales (2 Viewers)

hopster

Wales
My first question of this type but textual description only I'm afraid - no pictures.

There are plenty of raptors around my house and the surrounding valleys. I regularly see Buzzards (with mostly cream undersides), Kites and Kestrels, all of which are fairly easy to identify by their body shape & size, wing and tail shape, calls and/or flying patterns. The other day I was cycling along a lane and heard a call that was clearly a raptor but not so familiar. I took out my trusty Zeiss 8x25 and went looking for the source. After 5 minutes it flew into view in the distance and sat in a tree continuing to call. It was a really long way away and so the 8x could only make out some of the features however carefully I focused and braced. Most obvious was legs that were bright yellow, the body had some white or cream in it, the back seemed to be a reddy-brown and there was black or grey on the head. After moving a couple of times in the tree it took off and glided down into the valley below effortlessly. It didn't look like Kestrel flight and the wings seemed squarer like a Buzzard, possibly with white wing tips (though I can't find any raptors with that in my books)?

As it got closer to the birds that were further down the valley everything seemed to panic and take off en masse! Starlings, Rooks and smaller birds all scattered once its presence was known about. This leads me to believe that maybe it had birds in mind for dinner. Combined with the yellow legs, I'm wondering if it was a Sparrowhawk or a Peregrine Falcon?

The description potentially fits several species. Overall I'd say it's most likely to be buzzard but can't rule out sparrowhawk. I don't think peregrine

The description potentially fits several species. Overall I'd say it's most likely to be buzzard but can't rule out sparrowhawk. I don't think peregrine

Thanks. The bright yellow legs really stood out which is not something I ever notice on the Buzzards around here.

Multi-colour patterns sounds more like Buzzard, birds panicking is more in line with Sparrowhawk or Goshawk. Peregrine has very pointy wings, so that's less likely. Square wing outline with white tips sounds like a Lapwing, but those are unlikely to land in trees (etc.). I'd also say Buzzard based on probability. Might've been a juvenile, which could explain unusual patterns and potentially strange-sounding calls. But without a picture, it's hard to be certain.

I think I trust the observer that it was not a buzzard... I'm not sure what would have striking yellow legs tho.

A more exotic possibility would be something like Harris Hawk. These frequently escape and / or might be encountered when being flown by falconers. But I still think buzzard is most likely. As anyone who visits this forum frequently knows, these are extremely variable with some individuals being difficult to identify for even seasoned practitioners.

Reddish brown upperparts, if observed accurately = not Peregrine, and not really that likely to be an Accipiter (maaaybe a juv/fem Sprawk could pass as "reddish" on occasion? but usually they're greyer than Buzzards). On the other hand Kestrel and Red Kite likely ruled out by the bright yellow legs, which does suggest Accipiter sp, as does the behaviour/reactions of other birds.

If you're familiar with Red Kites and Kestrels, was the back as reddish as them, or less so? And are you sure the reddish colour was on the back, not face/underparts (thinking of male Sparrowhawk for the latter)?

Let’s forget colour detail and focus on behaviour only:
Moving in the tree => not a Peregrine
Rooks panic and not a Peregrine => only Goshawk left

Or an escaped falconer’s exotic as THE_FERN suggested

I have never seen Rooks in panic with a Sparrowhawk or Buzzard.

Interestingly here behind my house the Carrion Crows panic nowadays when they are nesting and Raven is flying over, Raven’s comeback to Luxembourg was only a few years ago

Reddish brown upperparts, if observed accurately = not Peregrine, and not really that likely to be an Accipiter (maaaybe a juv/fem Sprawk could pass as "reddish" on occasion? but usually they're greyer than Buzzards). On the other hand Kestrel and Red Kite likely ruled out by the bright yellow legs, which does suggest Accipiter sp, as does the behaviour/reactions of other birds.

If you're familiar with Red Kites and Kestrels, was the back as reddish as them, or less so? And are you sure the reddish colour was on the back, not face/underparts (thinking of male Sparrowhawk for the latter)?

No I was at such a distance that I couldn't reliably say where the reddy/brown tones were on the body. I think the colour tone was similar to Red Kite or Kestrel, yes.

Let’s forget colour detail and focus on behaviour only:
Moving in the tree => not a Peregrine
Rooks panic and not a Peregrine => only Goshawk left

Or an escaped falconer’s exotic as THE_FERN suggested

I have never seen Rooks in panic with a Sparrowhawk or Buzzard.

Interestingly here behind my house the Carrion Crows panic nowadays when they are nesting and Raven is flying over, Raven’s comeback to Luxembourg was only a few years ago

Of the groups of black birds that panicked, they were even farther away and so just large black dots in the viewfinder. I assumed Rooks or Crows because there are always big groups of them around here, but they may have been only Starlings or Jackdaws.

In Llangan, in the valley behind the church.

Not sure of anything over there as it’s a bit outside our local whatsapp but there was a resident Harris hawk at Lavernock for several years and 2 in north Cardiff Wouldn’t be surprised if there are more around

Users who are viewing this thread

Back