• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird Sounds of Madagascar (1 Viewer)

kilianwasmer

Hi,

for an upcoming birding trip to Madagascar we are searching for the audio CD "Bird Sounds of Madagascar" by Frank Hawkins & Richard Ranft (British Library).

Unfortunately it seems to be out of stock. Does anyone know a possibility to order the CD or a corresponding MP3 edition?

Regards

Kilian

I know it's not really an answer, but check :
http://www.xeno-canto.org/contributor/VROUALCTKG

For some good-quality recordings. Most if not all of Madagascar can be found on XC, and except for a possible fly-by from a certain Serpent-Eagle, and a certain Dusky Tetraka (often claimed, never seen pictures from the field, but according to reliable sources, there are some specimens and the bird exists, most probably in Marojejy), you can see all Madagascan bird species quite easily.

Thanks for your reply and the hint concerning XC.

Unfortunately I do not know any possibility to download all sounds listed/filtered on a XC-Page. This extension would be really invaluable since downloading file by file takes much time.

Regards

urbandove

Thanks for your reply and the hint concerning XC.

Unfortunately I do not know any possibility to download all sounds listed/filtered on a XC-Page. This extension would be really invaluable since downloading file by file takes much time.

Regards

urbandove

Not really... I took my Madagascar book last night and started to search on XenoCanto one by one and it only took me some 2,5 - 3 hours to download GREAT recordings for almost ALL the birds in the island.

If you set XC to show you sonograms on the search results it is VERY easy to see which recordings are good quality and which are not without having to hear them actually!

;-)

I know it's not really an answer, but check :
http://www.xeno-canto.org/contributor/VROUALCTKG

For some good-quality recordings. Most if not all of Madagascar can be found on XC, and except for a possible fly-by from a certain Serpent-Eagle, and a certain Dusky Tetraka (often claimed, never seen pictures from the field, but according to reliable sources, there are some specimens and the bird exists, most probably in Marojejy), you can see all Madagascan bird species quite easily.

Hans mate, THANKS!!!! such great stuff you uploaded to XC plus your trip report is grand!
(http://users.ugent.be/~hmatheve/hm/MADAGASCAR12.html)

Indeed, your recordings Hans are superbly good quality along with those by Mike Nelson, Dan Lane, Charly Hesse, Frank Lambert, Brian Cox, Nick Athanas, among others.

Of course nothing on the Dusky Tetraka ;-) and had to go to Macaulay Library to hack-download some additional files (wanted to have calls and songs for every species, and in some cases for subspecies) for some birds... not many actually.

I finally downloaded 379 files yesterday for a total of 266.7 Megabytes ... as I mentioned, less than 3 hours... piece of cake and quite entertaining! :)

Attachments

• Captura de pantalla 2015-08-25 a la(s) 23.42.02.png
    Captura de pantalla 2015-08-25 a la(s) 23.42.02.png
    158 KB · Views: 91
I'll send your regards to Hans.
I was probably the reason Hans couldn't make any more excellent recordings, as I was talking a lot while he was trying to take recordings ;-)

I'll send your regards to Hans.
I was probably the reason Hans couldn't make any more excellent recordings, as I was talking a lot while he was trying to take recordings ;-)

jajaja.. indeed, my confusion here Lieven... "temmie" kinda similar to Matheve (no, of course not) and thought for a second it was him... jejeje, anyways... great trip report, THANKS!

Well, I can say I wrote the first draft of the trip report (that is, everything from the introduction to the site description of Masoala). But this has been revised etc. by others so it's a group effort...

Hope to see you next time I'm in Colombia in one of the coming years, so you'll never confuse me again ;-)

Well, I can say I wrote the first draft of the trip report (that is, everything from the introduction to the site description of Masoala). But this has been revised etc. by others so it's a group effort...

Hope to see you next time I'm in Colombia in one of the coming years, so you'll never confuse me again ;-)

;-)
indeed... last time Hans was here we were in Mitu at the same time (no Harpy Eagle for us though)... it would be great to catch up with you too!
saludos

I now have a library of calls that copied from our tour guides phone - might be the British Library collection - don't know. If anyone wants this then PM me.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back