• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird sounds for download? SE Asia (1 Viewer)

dalat

Switzerland
Hi, does anyone know if I can download bird sounds for Vietnam or South East Asia somewhere, for free or purchase.

I have the CD Birds of Tropical Asia, but unforntuantely it's at home on my computer while I'm now in Vietnam, realising its not on copied on my phone as I thought. Silly me, but perhaps there is some other resources out there I can access via internet?

I know I can download individual bird sounds from xeno canto, but as that would be quite some work, I'm trying to find some options for bulk download...

Thanks, Florian

Check the Merlin id app whether they have gotten to SE Asia in development of their region packages. If they have, there will often be some songs/calls included for each bird.
Niels

Why don't you download and install Merlin with the relevant country pack. It has calls for the species... Aves vox doesn't let you download an entire avifauna. I do that with scripting

Hi all, thanks for your comments and hints. The Merlin app does not seem to have the Asian region (yet). With Aves vox, indeed I could not find the option of bulk download either.

So what I ended up doing is select the region in xeno canto and go through the list downloading the relevant species. A bit of work but not that much after all, as the list view allows convenient downloading by one click...

Hi all, thanks for your comments and hints. The Merlin app does not seem to have the Asian region (yet). With Aves vox, indeed I could not find the option of bulk download either.
Weird: closest Merlin has is central Asia. Can't for the life of me think why: afaics it's just a compendium of ebird material and of course that definitely exists for Asia

I heard that bulk download on aves vox was restricted because of the bandwidth it takes up at xeno canto (where it gets its stuff from). I'm not a fan because of the hassle of doing things a recording at time in that app, and because it's too easy to delete things

Weird: closest Merlin has is central Asia. Can't for the life of me think why: afaics it's just a compendium of ebird material and of course that definitely exists for Asia

I don't really know any details but have the impression that Merlin is not just a compendium of eBird material - I believe it is quite curated to avoid mistaken ID's / recordings, to select the best and most representative photos, and the recordings are cleaned up / filtered / etc. So that curation probably takes some good chunk of time!

I have the impression they have prioritized areas with high ebird coverage and probably also where they in Cornell have their best expertise. The rest of the globe will follow, no doubt. I do not think it is more than 1/2 year since my region got a pack.
Niels

I don't really know any details but have the impression that Merlin is not just a compendium of eBird material - I believe it is quite curated to avoid mistaken ID's / recordings, to select the best and most representative photos, and the recordings are cleaned up / filtered / etc. So that curation probably takes some good chunk of time!
Yes but so are the "headline" entries for all species on ebird pages: the exemplar photos on the main page. Iirc merlin doesn't give you hugely more than this.

It's got BoW maps and calls (but again there are "best" examples on ebird pages). Ebird descriptions are scanty and Merlin little better.

Surely the quick win is to recycle the material we already have in an automated way and have packs for the whole world. If we think our calls or maps are weak we could always team up with xeno canto (but heaven forfend we should work with "rivals").

If I could be bothered I could scrape a passable Merlin imitation given an avibase list...

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back