• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Semicollared Flycatcher? (1 Viewer)

kuzeycem

Medicinal Birding
Turkey
Shot today in my garden at Ankara, Turkey.
2nd wing-bar, white corners of tail and small primary base patch makes me think of Semicollared Flycatcher.
There was also a similarly plumaged Collared around (and they fought from time to time) but it had a large PB patch, white didn't go all the way on tail and it lacked the second wing-bar.
The weird thing is that this bird responded fairly well to the Collared Flycatcher "eehp" call, as did the other Collared. However it's response to "eehp" was a little different. I know the calls of two are similar so maybe it responded to tape thinking it was a Semi-c?
They both also made "tac" sounds all the time.
Thanks.

Attachments

• semic1.jpg
    semic1.jpg
    363.3 KB · Views: 201
  • semic2.jpg
    semic2.jpg
    412.6 KB · Views: 176
Last edited:
The white patch on primary coverts is not large enough and it's not close to wing-edge... I think Pied flycatcher.

Last edited:
There does appear to be a white margin running to the tip of the tail feathers but, the rather large amount of white at the base of the tertials is better for Collared / Eur. Pied. A second wingbar can be shown by all 4 / 5spp. W. P. "Pied Flycatchers". The extent of the white tips to the greater primary coverts is right for Eur. Pied, but the position of the feathers can affect this, particularly in a single photo.

Why isn't that one a Semicollared? No bird fits everything in the book but my bird (and yours apparently) are a good match for Semicollared.
If it was a Collared, the second wing-bar, pb patch and tail margins would be unusual.
I know females of each species are variable but neither second wing-bar nor white outer tail feathers normal for any Ficedula other than Semicollared.

IMO. Even as a 1st w female Semi-collared the tertials would show a thin white margin with very little expansion at the base of the outer web. The more I look at the photos the more I'm coming round to the Eur. Pied camp.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back