• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Warbler, Aruba 11/17 (1 Viewer)

Byronix

Hi all,

This is not my photo, posted to a Facebook group. My initial impression was of a Nashville Warbler, but from my understanding this would be an extraordinary sighting in Aruba. Thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_0937.jpg
    IMG_0937.jpg
    343.2 KB · Views: 125
Can't see how it couldn't. This wouldn't be the first time we've had an island's first bird here, not too long ago someone had Barbados' first Tufted Duck.

Doesn't look quite right for a Nashville to me, the contrasting white throat is very odd. I suppose it could just be some sort of artefact on the photo, that is causing that part of the bird to be "bleached out".

Looking at the list or Aruba warblers (per Avibase), I do not have any more likely candidate, however.

Doesn't look quite right for a Nashville to me, the contrasting white throat is very odd. I suppose it could just be some sort of artefact on the photo, that is causing that part of the bird to be "bleached out".

Looking at the list or Aruba warblers (per Avibase), I do not have any more likely candidate, however.

A female hatch year Nashville looks an excellent candidate to me:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_zWR5GIszjFI/TIaMOZCs4TI/AAAAAAAAAeQ/Z6miuoHmfxQ/s1600/nawa_hyf.jpg

https://download.ams.birds.cornell.edu/api/v1/asset/24907301/medium

Nashville isn't even in the book, why not Connecticut?

A

Thin bill, short undertail coverts, dark legs are wrong for Connecticut but fine for Nashville. The white belly between the legs in classic Nashville. The white throat looks to be photographic effect.

Andy

Aruba is criminally underbirded! I saw Least Bittern there in 2001 and only later found out there were no published records... of course without a description or photos, not one for the books.

Thanks all. The Facebook group's consensus is also on a Nashville, for the reasons Kratter mentioned above. Hope the photographer will report it to the relevant authorities.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back