• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tanzania Longclaw (1 Viewer)

jmorlan

Hmmm. That's funny
Opus Editor
United States
14 July 2013. Near Kirawira, Serengeti National Park, Shinyanga Region, Tanzania.

I originally assumed this bird was a Yellow-throated Longclaw (Macronyx croceus) not realizing that Pangani Longclaw (Macronyx aurantiigula) has expanded westward and is now established in the Serengeti. I believe the narrow neck band, and buffy flanks with streaks are Pangani features. Could it be Pangani?

Thanks.

Attachments

• Yellow-throatedLongclawTanzania-108.jpg
    Yellow-throatedLongclawTanzania-108.jpg
    258.7 KB · Views: 50
Additional longclaw images

Here are all the images I have.

Attachments

• UnknownLongclawTanzania-107.jpg
    UnknownLongclawTanzania-107.jpg
    239.5 KB · Views: 32
  • LongclawTanzania-113.jpg
    LongclawTanzania-113.jpg
    206.2 KB · Views: 23
  • LongclawTanzania-114.jpg
    LongclawTanzania-114.jpg
    212.3 KB · Views: 30
  • LongclawTanzania-115.jpg
    LongclawTanzania-115.jpg
    230.6 KB · Views: 23
  • LongclawTanzania-116.jpg
    LongclawTanzania-116.jpg
    210.8 KB · Views: 21
Another longclaw - 8 July 2013. Ngorongoro Crater

Thank you. That is very helpful. The yellow thigh feathering is unambiguous. Here is a different bird photographed 8 July 2013. Ngorongoro Crater. I thought this was Yellow-throated at the time, but a colleague has said it is actually Pangani. Sorry, it's a truly terrible photo but it's the only photo I have of this individual.

Attachments

• LongclawTanzania-122.jpg
    LongclawTanzania-122.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 37
On the first photo it looked like one because of orange throat but I was not "sure" Tib... with new photos we can see Yellow-throated indeed. We know how much a single photo can mislead...

Thank you. That is very helpful. The yellow thigh feathering is unambiguous. Here is a different bird photographed 8 July 2013. Ngorongoro Crater. I thought this was Yellow-throated at the time, but a colleague has said it is actually Pangani. Sorry, it's a truly terrible photo but it's the only photo I have of this individual.

Sincerely I am not sure on this one. Since it is the only image I won't dare to call it either way with any degree of confidence.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back