• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A Devonian Goes Mental Over a Fea's! (1 Viewer)

Congratulations Andrew. Who wouldn't be on cloud 9? A very entertaining and well written account as well. All the best John.

Oh the woes of being so many thousand kilometres from the Western Approaches! :) O, the woes, I do remember a pelagic off Scilly many a year back when we ran into countless Great Shearwaters and what a treat that was - but a Fea's! What a lucky guy you are!
I can imagine your excitement - pretty much the same when we encountered a Wandering Albatross off the Cape of Good Hope last year. It is ny biggest regret living out here in Lithuania - no sea! Baltic Sea doesn't count - Gannet would be a mindblower :)

Glen Tepke said:
An excellent and gripping account, Andrew. Makes me feel like I was there. Wait a minute, I was there! Thanks for refreshing my memories. It's great to have met another BF member, though I didn't make the connection at the time. Your description of the trip is hardly over the top, if anything you understated the adrenaline levels generated by the Fea's.

The Fea's, European Storm-Petrel and Great Skua were all lifers for me and my wife, whose name for the record is Carol Chetkovich. We somehow missed the kittiwake, which would have been a UK and year tick. Must have been too preoccupied with getting photos of everything else. For anyone interested, there is some discussion of the identification and status of Fea's Petrel in this thread, which includes my account of the same pelagic trip:

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=23215

Glen
I must apologise for the Kittiwake, I wasn't thinking of you as an American but just another keen birder and thought the Kittiwake would be nothing to you too. It was in fact on the water about twenty metres from the boat about half an hour after we left Hugh Town. Should have realised it might have been something to you. Sorry.

I too did not make the connection as at the time I just knew your name was Glen and did not enquire of your full name preferring to be on first name terms. Good to have met you and glad that the rush was just as good for you as it was for us. I wonder if you are one of a few Americans to have seen a Fea's?

Padraig, Tim, Dave and John,

Thanks for the good wishes and I genuinely hope you all see a Fea's too as it the feeling is so good that I want others to experience it too!

Jos,

Here's hoping a strong breeze carries over a mind blowing Gannet your way followed by the next rarest bird and onwards.

Fantastic account - brings back memories of the pleagic when we also had Fea's and Wilson's staright after each other. Unfortunately I've lost one of my good birds over Ben, who was on the boat with you, but i know he and the scilly birders have put the effort in for this one so they deserve it

ground-roller said:
Fantastic account - brings back memories of the pleagic when we also had Fea's and Wilson's staright after each other. Unfortunately I've lost one of my good birds over Ben, who was on the boat with you, but i know he and the scilly birders have put the effort in for this one so they deserve it
Did you see the Fea's that showed before this one or is this a while back?

Andrew said:
I must apologise for the Kittiwake, I wasn't thinking of you as an American but just another keen birder and thought the Kittiwake would be nothing to you too. It was in fact on the water about twenty metres from the boat about half an hour after we left Hugh Town. Should have realised it might have been something to you. Sorry.

No need to apologise - I have no expectation that someone will point out every bird on a trip. I expect to miss some birds while I am distracted by my attempts to photographed them. I will probably get kittiwake for my year list at home -- they are fairly common offshore here in fall and winter.

Andrew said:
I wonder if you are one of a few Americans to have seen a Fea's?

No, Fea's is seen fairly regularly -- up to several per year -- on pelagic trips in North Carolina (see www.patteson.com). Almost all sightings there are in May. We have done a couple of pelagic trips in North Carolina, but they were later in the summer. Even though we've now seen Fea's, we would still like to see one in North America, so at some point we will return to North Carolina in May.

Glen

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back